Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To refuse to own a moble phone?

(38 Posts)
KatieScarlett2833 Thu 25-Sep-08 13:18:53

DH and I don't own mobile phones. Our friends can't believe we can survive without them. Around here most people are incredulous that two professional people don't have mobiles.Some still don't believe it and assume we are being rude by not giving them our mobile numbers.

I hate their tinny, anoying ringtones, text messaging, being obliged to look at pictures of other peoples pets/children/friends stored on their phones, people on public transport yelling "I'm on my MOBILE!!!", voice messages that cost you to retrieve them, the one upmanship over who has the best phone, etc, etc. Amazingly we still have friends who like us despite being unable to participate in oh-so amusing round robin joke texts and video clips.

If I could, I'd disconnect the landline too. I hate all phones, especially the one on my desk that rings all frickin day. There is a competition in our house to be furthest away from the phone when it rings so you are not expected to answer it.

Please answer honestly. Are we weird?

MorningTownRide Thu 25-Sep-08 13:23:05

Oh Katie Scarlett O'Hara! (Couldn't resist)

YANBU - you are very sensible.

I have the cheapest cheapy pay on PAYG and rarely use that.

KatieScarlett2833 Thu 25-Sep-08 13:27:21

Oh fiddle-dee-dee wink, It's just that SO many people find it so unbelievable in this day and age that I don't want a mobile phone. Even the DC's school looked at me like I was a cave-woman for not being able to provide them with a mobile contact number. I am seriously beginning to wonder if we ARE odd at not seeing the point of them.

Tamarto Thu 25-Sep-08 13:36:46

I hate mine, but like the feeling of safety it gives me when i'm driving alone or with DCs

YANBU

wessexgirl Thu 25-Sep-08 13:39:35

YANBU, I hate the bleeders. I only bought one the other month in case something happened to dd1 at school while I was out.

Touch wood, I will never, ever have to use it.

LouMacca Thu 25-Sep-08 13:39:37

Don't think your weird. Actually admire you in a way.

I must admit that I love my mobile. Its just so easy to text to arrange meet-ups with friends etc., to ring hubby whilst out and about and 101 other things.

I don't think I actually know anyone over the age of 16 who doesn't have a mobile phone.

KatieScarlett2833 Thu 25-Sep-08 16:07:36

That's it LouMacca, I don't either!

I used to have a work mobile back in the day (circa 1997)and I loathed it with a passion. I hated feeling responsible for such an expensive piece of kit and doubly hated the feeling that I could be contactable by work at any time. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

My DC's think I am an absolute freak of nature, they love their phones. Even my parents have them. My DD has a couple of old phones that she keeps urging me to use, but I just can't be bothered. I just can't understand why everyone except me has one.

I'm a prematurely grumpy old woman at 39, aren't I?

imananny Thu 25-Sep-08 16:16:42

yes i think you are weird - {waits to be yelled at} but thats your prefernce smile

I couldnt live without my phone, i am very rarely at my house, I am in and out during day at work, and therefore people know if they want to get hold of me to call my mobile

i think they are handy to have if you are ever in an accident/car breaks down etc

you sound just like my friend - she has a mobile but never answers it or loses it etc

we managed to survive 15years ago or so without them, but then again we also used to not have internet

{hugs lappy} NO ONE is taking that away!!!!

BlingLovin Thu 25-Sep-08 16:20:09

Well, yes, it's a bit weird, but only in a similar way to me being a bit weird in that I hate it if DP sits too close to me if I'm eating.

You do know though if you have a mobile you don't have to be 100% available, respond to texts etc? grin My mother can't move more than 4 metres without her phone, but I take a more casual approach figuring it's there for my convenience, not everyone else's.

cremolafoam Thu 25-Sep-08 16:24:07

no i don't have one either.

no need.
if you have arranged to meet me then just bloody well turn up.Don't phone me 24 times to say you are
on the bus
there is heavy traffic
you are just passing starbucks
your battery is low

just get there on time and shut up

KatieScarlett2833 Thu 25-Sep-08 16:24:45

That's the thing, I love all my OTHER gadgets. I heart my lappy too. Ditto I-pod, digi camera, roomba, car, personal organiser, etc, etc. It's just the mobile phone (and all phones) I dislike. It's the idea, (Katie digs deep in sub-conscious..)I think, that I have to be answerable to whoever happens to be calling me and stop whatever I am doing to accommodate this. I hate feeling controlled.

mumof2222222222222222boys Thu 25-Sep-08 16:28:35

It is good to have a balance I think. My cousin, Dad and I spent considerable time and effort the other day trying to locate my aunt (she was on holiday and her friend died) and it was an absolute pain. she does have a mobile, but never switches it on unless she wants to use it. She doesn't do texting nor does she know how the answerphone works. Nor had she left any other contact details with anyone. Her son didn't have her mobile no "because he knows I don't use it!" Maybe she'd have been like that in pre-mobile days, but I think it is sensible to leave some contact details (and mobile is ideal if you're only a few miles away).

imananny Thu 25-Sep-08 16:31:07

katie - but the best thing about mobiles is that you can generally see who is calling you,so if you don't want to talk to them at that moment, thats what answer machines are for smile

they wont know you are ignoring the call - you can then listen to message at your own convience, and if important, call then back

KatieScarlett2833 Thu 25-Sep-08 16:31:48

If I had one, I'd be like your aunt and everyone would be hacked off that I didn't reply timeously like the lady on a previous thread. Best to steer clear.

countingto10 Thu 25-Sep-08 16:33:52

No you are not weird at all. I only have mine for emergencies (when it's got enough charge) and the only people who have my number are people who look after my children eg schools, that's it. Can't abide the thought of being contactable all the time - life is stressful enough. Like you, DH and I can't bothered to answer landline most of the time either and people have to leave messages.

Chaotica Thu 25-Sep-08 16:34:24

YANBU

I held out for years (until 18m ago in fact). But kids, a high risk pregnancy, a long drive on quiet roads to work led DP to buy me a PAYG. It's kind of useful, but I haven't spent more than 30 quid in all that time, so I'm hardly a convert.

BlingLovin Thu 25-Sep-08 16:34:24

Katie, does your subconscious possibly have an experience like mine with my mum...? It could have put you off for life!

I don't live in the same city as my mum. few years ago, I had a long conversation with my mum from my mobile on my way to a meeting, for which I was early. We chatted for about 20/30 minutes and then as the meeting time came up, i said I had to go, said goodbye and went to the appointment (I think I'd been trying to say goodbye for a good few minutes, so might have rushed the good bye in her head). I come out of the meeting, and there's a message from my mum saying she's just called to say goodbye properly. Which I think is a bit strange, but whatever.

I go home and as I'd had a hectic day, turn my phone off, have supper, watch some telly and get an early night.

Turn my phone on the next morning on my way to work and there were 3 yes, 3 messages from my mother:
Msg 1: "You didn't call me back after I called to say goodbye, so just calling again"
Msg 2: "Bling, please call me back, I'm concerned that I haven't spoken to you."
Msg 3 (sent at 11pmish in hysterical tone of voice), "I am now very very worried. Please call me as soon as you get this message"

KatieScarlett2833 Thu 25-Sep-08 16:37:24

Imananny, voicemail scares me too, it's like having an answering machine or that BT thing where they take a message. You are expected to return a call if the caller has left you a message. They KNOW you have heard their message and get all hissy if you don't. It's just as bad to me. I used to have an answerphone but got rid of it smartish once I realised this. In my defence, our house phone goes on average of between 20-40 times a day. (DH counted 39 calls last night) It's a PITA.

MuffinMclay Thu 25-Sep-08 16:39:48

A woman after my own heart!

I have a (very cheap) PAYG one that I take with me in case the car breaks down (old one did a lot) and on dog walks in deserted fields in case I have an accident or some nutter appears (actually quite pointless as there's no reception where I walk). I rarely have it turned on. If I didn't drive I wouldn't have one.

I have only sent a handful of text messages ever (when stuck in hospital after having ds1), and I'm not sure I can rememeber how to do it now.

Totally baffled at how phones are interesting in any way.

Dh has to have one for work but hates using it. I don't think he ever uses it for non work reasons.

LOL at the landline thing. Dh and I are like that - 'you get it, it'll be for you', 'no you get it', 'no, lets just let it go to answerphone and we'll call them back'. Phones are so intrusive!

KatieScarlett2833 Thu 25-Sep-08 16:40:52

Blinglovin, EXACTLY!!!!!!!

BlingLovin Thu 25-Sep-08 16:43:43

I just ignore her now. And even DP does as well. Which is hilarious. Phone rings, conversation pauses for a heartbeat but neither of us move or change anything we're doing.

Some people aren't so good at that, but I am, and am training DP.

crokky Thu 25-Sep-08 16:43:51

I don't like them, but I have mine for emergencies.

It is pay as you go and the phone itself was cheap. I don't have voicemail. So on a day to day basis, the phone costs me nothing.

BUT it has been a total lifesaver when I broke down in the dark with DS when he was a baby. And also when I was in hospital with DD.

KatieScarlett2833 Thu 25-Sep-08 16:44:31

Muffin, the chorus in our house is "I'm in the loo/going out/in the shower/coming down with bird flu, etc, etc." Unfortunately our nearest and dearest let our phone ring out for ages as they know we do this. Cue the constantly ringing of the phone...

BlingLovin Thu 25-Sep-08 16:46:29

On the plus side, clearly you're popular. The only people who call me are DP and mum!

[I'm more of an email person]

Spidermama Thu 25-Sep-08 16:46:30

I ask you this ...

Why do people who don't have mobiles frequently need to talk about/justify their decision NOT to have them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now