Talk

Advanced search

to let my ds sleep in my bed with me?

(16 Posts)
iLoveIceCream Thu 25-Sep-08 00:06:51

ds is only 1 and has slept with me in my bed on and off since he was born. im a lone parent so theres plenty of room for him.

he was in his cot for a while in his own room until he recently got his leg stuck between the bars and had to be sawn out shock and since then hes been terrified of it.

its just easier to let him stay with me but im worried incase its bad for him in any way,,,,,,?

LadyOfWaffle Thu 25-Sep-08 00:08:50

Let him snuggle in I let DS do it and he is fine in his own room now (2.5), no long term 'damage'. Just enjoy the cuddles

mamazee Thu 25-Sep-08 00:11:16

IMO its great for him my ds sleeps with us he is 18 months. may help?

charchargabor Thu 25-Sep-08 00:12:19

Don't worry about it, it's not bad for him at all. I love late night snuggles with 1yo DD and have done since she was born. You could try and get him used to the cot again, or you could just wait til he's old enough for a bed. He'll be fine in bed with you. smile

iLoveIceCream Thu 25-Sep-08 00:12:21

Thanks LoW,i keep getting "wrong" off my mum for allowing it, but i do like havin him with me, its lovely really and the bed is big enough for us both grin

iLoveIceCream Thu 25-Sep-08 00:14:27

phew, thanks you guys x

mamazee Thu 25-Sep-08 00:15:02

my mum was like that for a while because she thought ds would be clingy and 'mumsy' now that he is the absolute opposite she is co sleepings number one fan keeps telling her friends its 'modern mothering' hmm bless her

thumbwitch Thu 25-Sep-08 00:17:08

Lol at modern mothering - one of y v.good friends is 70 and she had both her DCn sleeping with her and her DH (not at the same time, they were born 12y apart) - the older one is in her late 40s.

SuperBunny Thu 25-Sep-08 01:01:35

My DS is 3 and we still co-sleep because we both want to. He has the option of sleeping on his own but choses not to. He is happy, independent and affectionate. I don't think it has any bad effects but then I'm probably a bit biased. In other cultures, co=sleeping is perfectly normal.

foxytocin Thu 25-Sep-08 01:04:23

DD coslept full time till she was 2.10 yrs and then announced that she is going to her room. Sometimes it would be easier if she was still in bed with us but now we can't make her come to our bed.

enjoy the cuddles. one day he'll have his mind of his own and refuse to join you there.

Alambil Thu 25-Sep-08 01:39:44

DS still sleeps with me (alone too) and he's nearly 6... nowt wrong with it other than him taking up 3/4 of the feckin' bed!!

I'm aiming to get him in his own room soon though as I think he needs to and to be frank, I need my bed back after 6 years!

loobeylou Thu 25-Sep-08 22:22:36

just wanted to say that while I approve of co sleeping (and thank god we have a king sized bed when Dh and I are hanging off the edges and ds age3.5 is laid across the middle), people should be aware of research/warnings which say you should not take babies to bed/cosleep if you are a smoker, have been drinking or taking any non prescribed drugs, or sleeping pills

there have been tragic incidents of babies/toddlers being suffocated/squashed

but don't be put off by other people who do not approve, nothing to do with them

piratecat Thu 25-Sep-08 22:24:33

enjoy it, it's lovely, when you are alone to have a little person by you.

MaureenMLove Thu 25-Sep-08 22:26:27

He's not going to want to do it when he's about 1, so enjoy imho! They are such a short time little and cuddly. My dd always wanted a snuggle, but when dh was away last, I told her she could sleep in my bed ith me and she said, 'er, no thanks!' She's 12! grin

ChukkyPig Thu 25-Sep-08 22:26:40

That sounds lovely and snuggly. But you maybe need to think about what you would do if you met someone smile

MaureenMLove Thu 25-Sep-08 22:27:22

When he's about 10 not 1 obviously, because he does at 1, right?

I'll get me coat! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now