Talk

Advanced search

to feel a bit sad at Ds3s birthday present even though its what he wanted and all he asked far....?

(31 Posts)
ladytophamhatt Wed 24-Sep-08 22:32:02

It was his 5th birthday today and for weeks and weeks he's been asking for a blue NintendoDS.

I asked him so many times for other ideas but that was all he wanted.

So this morning when he opened his present he was very very very happy to find a Blue DS but I just can't help thinking he's just so young.

With so many boys in the house we have so much stuff already so it was an ideal present in some ways but I think I'd rather have had a pile of tat toys for him to scatter over the house.

<sigh>

too late now I suppose but I don't think IBU.

mumhadenough Wed 24-Sep-08 22:34:44

I don't think yabu. I felt a bit sad that my son desperately wanted one too, but you know what, at times it has been an absolute godsend.

He doesn't play with it too often, in fact its been in the boot of my car for two weeks. But there has been times, such as holidays (flights), long waits at hospitals, boring visits to relatives etc, that it has kept him superbly entertained and out of trouble.

I can understand that you might feel as if he's all grown up now, not wanting a pile of tat toys.

BreevandercampLGJ Wed 24-Sep-08 22:37:38

When my DS was four, all he wanted was some Kandoo liquid soap.grin

We bought it for him, along with other stuff tat but he still remembers that he got what he asked for.

So go easy on yourself.

bubblerock Wed 24-Sep-08 22:37:49

They are fantastic and there are loads of games he can play that are educational as well as being fun! DS1 had one at age 8/9 and DS2 soon discovered it at age 3 - now that's scary, especially as he's so bloody good at it!!!

SixSpotBurnet Wed 24-Sep-08 22:41:09

Aw, lth, I haven't got anything useful to say but just wanted to say hello and say how happy I am that he was happy with his present.

I was a bit sad at DS3's 4th birthday present almost for the opposite reasons - it was the roll around mountain thing from ELC which would be far too babyish for any normal four year old but for DS3 (autistic, non-verbal, learning difficulties) it was just the ticket.

So no, not being unreasonable, I kind of know what you mean!

ladytophamhatt Wed 24-Sep-08 22:49:40

I suppose that is the important thing SSB, that they are happy....

SixSpotBurnet Wed 24-Sep-08 22:50:09

smile

ladytophamhatt Wed 24-Sep-08 23:17:25

This is my fastest turn around in posts ever.

AIBU to No i'm not in 2 posts.

<fickle>

Still not really happy with it though, hey ho...

TotalChaos Wed 24-Sep-08 23:22:24

YANBU - it's a bloody good present.

SixSpot - DS (who isn't exact NT it has to be said) also likes the ELC mountain toy at 4. If your DS isn't a mouther, then he might enjoy being let loose on a marble run toy, sort of a more grown up version of balls running down tracks toy grin

gemmiegoatlegs Wed 24-Sep-08 23:24:27

oh my kids looove cooking mama and they are just 5 and 3, within reason it can be appropriate. and the fact thatt he colour was so important suggests you still have a little boy1

TotalChaos Wed 24-Sep-08 23:26:32

cooking mama is the one game I think is genuinely very educational for a young child - a chance to run through vocab about deep frying/chopping with sharp knife etc accompanied by visuals without having to worry about safety issues.

FanjolinaJolly Wed 24-Sep-08 23:27:56

Sory for hijack but what is the ELC mountain toy?I am always at a loss for presents for SN dd.He big love at the mo is a keyboard (LOTS OF BUTTONS,FLASHING LIGHTS,MUSIC!)

LTH Ds wants one of those Dalek voice changer things for his fifth birthday hmm more plastic tat AAARRRGGGHHHHH

TotalChaos Wed 24-Sep-08 23:31:49

I think it's the one in right hand bottom corner picture:-

www.elc.co.uk/AdvancedOrder.php?product_id=42862

FanjolinaJolly Wed 24-Sep-08 23:36:42

Wow,yes,I do believe she would like that.There is a toy she likes at Portage group that involves running plastic balls down a similar track and when it hits a certain part it lights up and she giggles.Great,one to add to Christmas/birthday ideas,thanks very much TC

Chandra Wed 24-Sep-08 23:37:16

DS always manages to break my heart on his birthdays... 2 years ago when discussing about his party he said the only thing he wanted was a Cars tablecloth.

Last year he asked to have a Thomas cake that he knew he couldn't eat saying that he would give it to his friends and that he would be happy to have something different.

He has severe food allergies so this is his world. If I could make him that happy with a NintendoDS I would.

Besides, he would get bored sooner or later so please don't dispair.

FanjolinaJolly Wed 24-Sep-08 23:40:34

Sorry,LTH for hijack.

If your ds enjoys his DS lite thats fabulous,I can see wwhere you are coming from though,but because he has older sibs he probably wants to have a "big boy" toy like them

Swap for the Dalek Voice Changer ?

LittlePushka Wed 24-Sep-08 23:55:05

One year my nephew aged 7 wanted every single massively expensive toy advertised on TV for Christmas.

His sister aged 6 wanted a new hairbrush and a pom-pom....but mainly the hairbrush if Santa did not have much room on the sleigh.

Talk about heart breaking...!

(Santa did managed to squeeze a yellow pom-pom on!)

ladytophamhatt Thu 25-Sep-08 07:50:34

fanjoina, we already have cyberman voice changers things, darlek ones would go the same way I suspect....gathering dust on the shelf/under bed/in the toy box.

I think we have every toy known to mankind....

littlelapin Thu 25-Sep-08 07:56:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BalloonSlayer Thu 25-Sep-08 10:21:55

Thread hijack, sorry - Chandra have you tried buying the Thomas cupcake sets and just using the sugar pictures to decorate your home-made cake, (& chuck the rest of the box away blush)?

That's what I used to do for my milk/egg/nut allergic DS1

sadandscared Thu 25-Sep-08 10:35:48

Last year dd1 wanted a pink umbrella. That's all she was interested in besides other presents. She was soooo happy. As long as they are happy eh?!?!? She looks out of the window every day since to see if it is raining so we can go out with the umbrella!!!
btw - it took me hours to find a bloody pink umbrella that wasn't covered in princesses etc (she was very specific!!)

Tamarto Thu 25-Sep-08 10:43:53

Two years ago for christmas DS2 only wanted a DVD a very specific one, i searched and searched, eventually i got it. He ignored all the other crappy well thought out gifts.

Last year my DD wanted a pink umbrella and a purple ball, she too ignored everything else.

I have no i dea why i waste my money buying anything other than what they ask for.

chipmonkey Thu 25-Sep-08 10:47:13

Could be worse LTH! Imagine if he'd wanted a pink one! That would have been an entirely different thread!grin

grin at Bree's ds wanting the Kandoo soap! I always think your ds sounds lovely, Bree!

MilaMae Thu 25-Sep-08 11:04:19

My twin boys are 5 today and know what you mean.

1 wanted the wooden Thomas collapsable bridge, the other the V-Tech kiddy camera. Both happy but the camera has been the major source of entertainment this morning. D twin 1 wanted his bridge for ages not into anything electronical at all but seeing this camera this morning I sooooo know what he'll be asking for for Xmas, pretty sure it won't be wooden-sniff sad

Personally I think both toys are a little young for my two and we won't good years of milage but this year was the first year I went totally with what they asked for. I keep wondering if I did the right thing, it's part of kids getting older I suppose the control over everything lessens more and more.

tonton Thu 25-Sep-08 11:06:36

Little Pushka & bree your dcs sound lovely. DD1 always asks for something that costs less than a tenner from woolies. Long may it last!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now