Talk

Advanced search

To not want to buy DS a 'smart' outfit for a wedding

(41 Posts)
PrimroseHall Wed 24-Sep-08 21:41:07

Am I embarrassingly out of touch to suggest that he could just wear a shirt with dark jeans and trainers that look like shoes?

I don't want to waste money on an outfit that he won't wear again, and it will be hard enough to coax him out of football shirts for one day, let alone trying to get more wear out it another time.

He's 6 btw.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 24-Sep-08 21:43:37

Message withdrawn

MaureenMLove Wed 24-Sep-08 21:44:01

I was going to suggest new jeans and a shirt from Asda before I opened the thread! So either its perfectly acceptable or I'm out of touch too! grin

Lubyloo Wed 24-Sep-08 21:44:33

I think that would be fine. He's a child - I hate seeing children trussed up in little suits and ties.

LilRedWG Wed 24-Sep-08 21:45:33

Hmm - school trousers and shirt for the daytime and jeans for the evening if he wants to change.

snickersnack Wed 24-Sep-08 21:45:41

Suits on boys are vile, as far as I'm concerned. Dark jeans and a shirt sound fine and I wouldn't flinch at trainers. What about a tank top over the top to smarten it up a bit?

Wilkiepedia Wed 24-Sep-08 21:46:24

Depends on if day do or night do

Personally I think jeans are a total no-no, child or no child. Shirt, trousers and shoes - doesn't need to be anything fancy but no to jeans

If a night do then fine

SqueakyPop Wed 24-Sep-08 21:47:41

When we had younger boys at weddings, we went for bermuda shorts with long socks, and long sleeved button down shirts. They looked really smart, and all the clothes could easily be recycled into other outfits.

SqueakyPop Wed 24-Sep-08 21:47:42

When we had younger boys at weddings, we went for bermuda shorts with long socks, and long sleeved button down shirts. They looked really smart, and all the clothes could easily be recycled into other outfits.

saint2shoes Wed 24-Sep-08 21:48:07

think jeans and trainers are wrong imo. school trousers would be better.

PrimroseHall Wed 24-Sep-08 21:52:19

I'm not going to the wedding. Ex-p is taking him. As far as I know it's a low key affair, but he's going to the registry office and I think the reception is a local restaurant.

Ex-p asked the bride if she would mind DS wearing smart/casual clothes as neither of us can afford an outfit for just one occasion. She turned her nose up and just said "what about the photos?" So I presume that she will be pissed off if he turns up in anything other than trousers, shirt and tie and proper shoes. Actually, it's the shoes that piss me off the most. DS makes the biggest fuss about shopping for footwear and he needs new trainers anyway, so I thought I could get away with a dual purpose pair.

I WILL buy him an outfit that she approves of because it's her day and all that. Just wondered whether I was being ridiculous about it.

snorkle Wed 24-Sep-08 21:53:20

A lot depends on the wedding, but generally I'd say no to both trainers and jeans. School shoes & trousers with a nice shirt as a minimum unless it's an unusually relaxed affair.

PrimroseHall Wed 24-Sep-08 21:53:57

Ds will be proper pissed off if I make him wear his school uniform on a Saturday. He's just realised that it's not cool grin

Upwind Wed 24-Sep-08 21:55:29

does he not have school shoes and trousers he could wear with a cheap shirt?

Upwind Wed 24-Sep-08 21:56:05

x-post grin

LyraSilvertongue Wed 24-Sep-08 21:56:57

Can't he wear his school shoes?
I think you'd probably get away with black jeans and a shirt.

PrimroseHall Wed 24-Sep-08 21:57:38

I'd have a real job getting him to wear his uniform upwind.

PrimroseHall Wed 24-Sep-08 21:59:30

His school shoes already look crap after only 2 weeks of wear. I don't think he would wear them anyway.

berolina Wed 24-Sep-08 22:02:50

I would hate to think that anyone had spent money they couldn't afford just to look 'smart' in my wedding photos. And suits and ties are vile on small boys.

H&M sometimes have nice, cheap white shirts with round collars. School trousers (you're the parent, he'll have to lump it) and shoes.

WendyWeber Wed 24-Sep-08 22:07:58

Tell him if he doesn't wear his school uniform he'll have to wear this.

That should make him reconsider grin

Failing that, would he wear eg a pair of chinos with his school shoes? (My boys' school trousers have always been very basic & looked scruffy from day 1)

PrimroseHall Wed 24-Sep-08 22:13:49

Thanks everyone. TBH, I'm more pissed off with ex-p as he promised he would sort DS's outfit and pay for it. The wedding is on Saturday and surprise, surprise he's not got round to it. So, I'll be dragging a bored 6 year old round shoe shops tomorrow evening.

School shoes are not really an option because they look totally shit. His trousers aren't too bad, but I don't really want him to wear them. I might just look out for a pair of trousers (or light fabric jeans) that can be dressed down with trainers, so that he'll be able to wear them again. I'll get him a shirt, but it will probably be a short sleeved one and I won't be getting a tie.

PrimroseHall Wed 24-Sep-08 22:17:00

X posts WW. I think that's the sort of thing the bride is expecting grin

Are chinos always in the beige colour? If so, then no he won't. Even if he did they'd be filthy very quickly as he will find some grass to skid on or a hill to roll down. His school trousers aren't too bad, but yeah, they just look like school uniform so not ideal.

WendyWeber Wed 24-Sep-08 22:24:40

I was looking at Next who have nothing in smart casual - about 200 different tatty blue jeans & sod all else hmm - but do have some cord jeans, in dark blue, brown & beige (I think). You might get away with those?

DS2 is 15 now but when he was younger I could usually get some presentable trousers from Matalan - I would try there, & Tesco, & Asda, before trailing round town centres (they all do shoes too smile)

BEAUTlFUL Wed 24-Sep-08 22:28:50

Bhs is sooo cheap for smart clothes.

Can you not just polish his shoes? Have you got any of that stuff that covers up scuff-marks?

PrimroseHall Wed 24-Sep-08 22:31:03

Cord jeans were the sort of thing I was initially thinking of. I was then going to get a pair of lace up navy blue trainers (they are smart though) and get him a short sleeved shirt. I thought that sounded ok. Apparantly not.

I'll print out that pic and tell DS that I've got it at home and he'll have to wear it unless we find something else tomorrow night. That should keep him in line grin

I'm off for a bath now and then I'll have a look on the web.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now