Talk

Advanced search

To sell the kids christmas presents?

(14 Posts)
Philosophy Wed 24-Sep-08 13:01:00

Last year my son got four scalextric sets for christmas hmm. Family always buy them far too much and to be honest, I know it sounds awful but DH's family don't tend to think about what they buy, they just buy anything that is within the kids age range. DS has never been into cars.

3 of the sets he's opened but never played with. One has remained sealed in its box since last christmas, he's forgotten all about it.

So I've put it on ebay and am intending to buy him christmas presents for this year with the money I make on it. I do feel guilty though.

Should I?

Buda Wed 24-Sep-08 13:04:19

Why feel guilty? Do it. Think of it as recycling which is good!

Blu Wed 24-Sep-08 13:12:04

oooh, no, sell!

ahem - do you have a 'buy it now' price for regular Mn-ers? wink

Philosophy Wed 24-Sep-08 13:13:55

lol! well its up for £4.99 already. I'm not sure how much they are new or how much to ask for it. Its hotwheels.

psychomum5 Wed 24-Sep-08 13:16:40

ebay it, it will make some other childs xmas pressie then!

emj23 Wed 24-Sep-08 13:17:07

Not unreasonable at all. Or at least I hope not, because we sold a toy DS got last Christmas a few weeks ago. It had been sat under his bed for months and he hasn't noticed that it's gone.

MamaG Wed 24-Sep-08 13:18:05

oh God don't feel guilty, I wouldn't.

My SIL bought my DD a horrendous burberry skirt one year - just when they were at height of chavness hmm. It was authentic so I sold it on ebay and got £35 grin - as I spent the money on nice clothes for DD I didn't feel guilty at all

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 13:18:38

sell

PoorOldEnid Wed 24-Sep-08 13:19:24

deffo sell

cheesesarnie Wed 24-Sep-08 13:19:50

i agree its recycling!
if dd gets more than one of something shes the one that suggests recycling one as another child may want it and she can buy something else.

noonki Wed 24-Sep-08 13:20:34

Sell away

TheDuchessOfNork Wed 24-Sep-08 13:44:06

You get rid of some unwanted junk, your DCs get something they do want/need with the proceeds. Don't feel guilty.

I have a large box where I put duplicate and unwanted presents (and hideous clothes) and then we give them away to school fairs, charities, emergency birthday presents etc. But not the hideous clothes, sadly we have quite a collection now, I might make a Hallowe'en display with them. wink

Marne Wed 24-Sep-08 13:45:18

I do this every year, why not?

AnarchyAunt Wed 24-Sep-08 13:45:41

Sell them.

Or even better, donate them (or some of them) to the MN Christmas Appeal, or other charity type thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now