Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked?

(17 Posts)
muggglewump Tue 23-Sep-08 23:17:45

I really just want to share, I'm not judging, honest, I'm really just shocked!

Anyway, it's like this- The cook at work is lovely, her DD is 9, lovely wee girl, I've met her a few times over the last month.
Cook and I got talking about Xmas presents today, I said DD might get a DS if I could afford it and if DD stops wanting a Wii!
Cook said her DD is getting a bike, a new mobile and a new laptop, the one (laptop) she has isn't great aparently. She already has a PS 1,2 and 3, X-Box, DS, PSP and Wii. I tried not to pull a cat's arse face and said that I am a mean Mum and have a screen ban in bedrooms. She said her DD has SKY + in her room.
We agreed, in a nice way we have different rules for our kids.
Anyway, later on when the tips were being counted, she said the tips are her DD's pocket money. We get £3-£5 a day, and cook works 5 days!

Again, not judging, just shocked that a 9yr old has so much and gets so much pocket money.

I'm probably being unreasonable to even post but I'm truly shocked!

themildmannneredjanitor Tue 23-Sep-08 23:18:52

yanbu-that is ridiculous. and outrageous.

littlelapin Tue 23-Sep-08 23:19:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FAQ Tue 23-Sep-08 23:21:13

it does sound extreme - but like ll says - if she's still a lovely girl then I guess the right boundaries/understanding is put in place so that she's not become spoilt.

Why on earth does she need a PS1,2 and 3 though???

edam Tue 23-Sep-08 23:24:57

Wow. Tempted to ask if your colleague would care to adopt one slightly frazzled 30-something MNer...? grin

ll's right, clearly whatever they do is working fine. But it's still amazing. ds, at the age of 5, already knows the 'no, you can't have one, we aren't made of money, I have to go out and work all day to pay the bills' speech off by heart.

muggglewump Tue 23-Sep-08 23:32:11

She really is lovely. Of course I've only met her in the shop for no more than 30 mins at a time but it has been a few times now.
She was in for almost two hours today and behaved impeccably, considering her Mum was working and she had to sit at a table in the corner and do her homework.

Anyway, like I say, I'm just shocked at the amount of stuff, I really can't get my head around it, especially in a bedroom. I admit I have an issue with screens in bedrooms but still.
And the pocket money too. DD gets £1.20, but what could be £25?!! Nooo.

MrsWeasley Tue 23-Sep-08 23:32:34

edam my thoughts exactly! Would she like to adopt me? grin

Upwind Tue 23-Sep-08 23:32:43

YANBU

Miaou Tue 23-Sep-08 23:37:23

Um - call me a cynic but do you think that her mum might be embroidering the truth a little?

muggglewump Tue 23-Sep-08 23:39:06

That didn't make sense.
It should have said before today I hadn't met her for more than 30 mins.

I do think she must be a fantastic Mum but I still can't help but be shocked at the amount of expensive stuff and the pocket money.

Perhaps it's just me gobsmacked as I could never afford it?

FAQ Tue 23-Sep-08 23:40:28

Miaou - it wouldn't surprise me if it were true - my SIL's children have a Wii and an Xbox (plus I think either DS or PSP - not sure which), they also have Sky+ in their bedroom........

muggglewump Tue 23-Sep-08 23:43:43

Miaou
No, I don't think so, as the DD was there when the tips were being discussed, she also said her phone (meaning mobile) was old fashioned and she's talked to me before about her laptop.

FAQ Tue 23-Sep-08 23:46:12

I suppose if she can afford to buy her all that stuff (and the DD is still a nice child despite the spoiling) who are we to complain.

I can imagine a thread that went the other way

My colleague has plenty of money but never buys her DD anything, she spends it all on fags, booze, expensive cars, babysitters and posh meals out (without the DD) grin

muggglewump Tue 23-Sep-08 23:58:05

That's exactly why I'm not judging FAQ.
No reason not to buy your DC anything if they are lovely children.
Doesn't stop me being shocked though!

I spoil DD rotten, but it tends to be with clothes or books from the charity shop. I've come home both days this week with stuff for her.
I only spent £10 on a coat, a pair of jeans, a hairband, a book, and 10 items of baby clothes for her monkey.
Oh, I let her have another pack of Go-gos too.
I don't advise buying them, standing on them is worse than standing on a plugsad
I hate Go-Gos, as does my footangry

Upwind Wed 24-Sep-08 11:41:13

It reflects strange priorities - I am guessing that unless she is a top chef she is not earning megabucks. Even if she wanted to spend all her disposable income on her DD, surely there are better ways of investing it for her future?

MerkinFitter Wed 24-Sep-08 11:48:50

<thread hijack>

so the new job is going great then? Havent seen you on LIM recently to ask you!

muggglewump Wed 24-Sep-08 18:22:14

It's going well although I've found out a few things this week that have me a tad woried.
Apparently one of the women is a bully, really nasty and it's causing someone to leave.
Bully is on holiday at the moment so I'm not looking forward to her coming back next week.
Of course she may be lovely to me but I can't help be nervous.

Are you Jen with a new name or Tam, or someone else completely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now