Talk

Advanced search

to hate these magazines?

(30 Posts)
noonki Tue 23-Sep-08 21:31:54

went to a friend's today and she had a load of magazines that she was chucking out and asked if I wanted them.

I took a few and read them this afternoon.

I never really read these sorts of mags before and have been in shock all day.

They were: Heat, Gracia and Closer

now a don't mind a bit of mindless celeb gossip but these were sick.

Literally every other page was about who is too fat, too thin and about dieting tips.

by the end of it I couldn't help but think about my weight for about an hour...if I read these every week I think it would screw me up.

and what made me really sad is the friend that gave them to me is anorexic.

noonki Tue 23-Sep-08 21:32:31

and I meant to ask if you buy them regularly, why do you?

Ronaldinhio Tue 23-Sep-08 21:33:32

i love grazia...it completes me
yabvu

Pollyanna Tue 23-Sep-08 21:33:50

I like to see what celebs look like without their make-up on grin

noonki Tue 23-Sep-08 21:34:43

but why?

Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 23-Sep-08 21:34:50

Hate them- very occasionally come across them in work and am shocked at the bitchy shallow content! Would never buy them (but do have to admit to reading bits when I find them if only to go shock blush

Janos Tue 23-Sep-08 21:36:35

I used to buy these but they just pissed me off. I'd buy them to read and chill out and end up feeling more wound up afterwards!

Now I don't buy 'em and I save money

My mum and sister love them though.

Ronaldinhio Tue 23-Sep-08 21:37:22

i really can't see anything wrong with grazia...it's perfect

expatinscotland Tue 23-Sep-08 21:38:33

YANBU.

ScottishMummy Tue 23-Sep-08 21:38:43

certainly they sell,but don't think they are causal of eating disorder or psychological issues

they are contributory to complex psychosocial beliefs if one hasa a propensity to that sytuff

you read 'em-in shock all day? i can think of more upsetting literature tbh

MoChan Tue 23-Sep-08 21:42:23

YANBU.

And in fact, I find them so offensive, that you'd better not even get me started...

And it's not even just for the reasons you are complaining about...

They are just so wrong, on so many levels.

noonki Tue 23-Sep-08 21:43:05

I too can think of worse magazines but was shock at how obessive they are about body image

I am not saying that it that they cause people to have eating disorders but must add to them if you are on the edge?

ScottishMummy Tue 23-Sep-08 21:47:49

read them all in supermarket queue and put back when served.you can guess the content by headline

oh also read at hairdresser as they have stacks and i am there ages

umberella Tue 23-Sep-08 21:50:24

I don't buy these magazines but I do read them if I'm in waiting rooms or babysitting.

They are soo wrong but I always quite enjoy them at the time. Like eating chips or summat.

Lauriefairycake Tue 23-Sep-08 21:51:08

I would never buy them, they make me sad.

However, I think the ones I do buy have a slightly negative effect too - they all seem to suggest that having a bunting-cupcake sort of life is the goal hmm

I like reading them but once I've finished it makes me itch to paint the floors white grin and make something hessian like

ScottishMummy Tue 23-Sep-08 21:53:42

they can have an affirming effect.i may have had a bad day at work but at least i am not a plastic titted orange fembot with wind whistling round my ears

umberella Tue 23-Sep-08 21:54:40

lol scottishmummy grin

minorbird Tue 23-Sep-08 21:56:47

I can only read them when I'm in a good diet phase or I feel wretched. When I'm feeling fit and feisty I enjoy them for the escapism I suppose, you can lose yourself in them whilst on the train/ in the bath. But if I feel bad about myself, they make me feel even worse tbh.

Philpot Wed 24-Sep-08 13:56:45

I got Grazia a bit for the clothes and the price and the little bit of gossip, but it made me feel dirty and the writing went way downhill. I bought one out of boredom a few weeks ago and thought it was dire. I then thought I'd see if Vogue had improved and it really has - obviously mostly adverts but it had some pretty good writing in it, an interview with Zoe Heller, stuff like that. Not the Up/Down Nathan Barley (? - was that what it was called?) things you get in the Observer and Times magazines type drivel written by an over-priveleged child ejit.

BitOfFun Wed 24-Sep-08 13:58:43

Garbage, all of them. An assault on the retina grin

helpfulornot Wed 24-Sep-08 15:17:45

YANBU. I never buy them, I have better things to do with my time that to waste it on trash like that.

67Impala Wed 24-Sep-08 15:42:47

I find them a complete waste of money and the reason why so many women have hang ups about their image.

YANBU

Cappuccino Wed 24-Sep-08 15:45:12

I got a copy of Eve sent the other day

it had a feature on being an 'eco mum' which was basically just a list of products to buy and nothing at all to do with being ecological

more products in beauty

then some fashion to buy

then something else to buy to do something else

then some tips about calming down by smiling more and buying stuff

there wasn't a page that wasn't about buying something

Jennyusedtobepink Wed 24-Sep-08 15:47:45

I stopped buying heat because one week the front cover was 'Celebs too think', the next 'Celebs too fat', or something much catchier! wink

Started to hack me off. But I agree with you Capp, now with belts being tighter and whatnot, the mags I buy are just serving to remind me that we have less disposable income and just making me feel crap.

Jennyusedtobepink Wed 24-Sep-08 15:48:17

Celebs too thin, not too think, obviously. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now