Talk

Advanced search

to think it's a bit off to dress a little boy in gold jewellery for playgroup?

(17 Posts)
kt14 Tue 23-Sep-08 14:50:45

because I had a brief judgey moment this morning at playgroup when I clocked two l.o's in earrings and another in a long chunky gold chain. All about 2yrs old, all boys for some reason.

Looks fecking awful and is a bit dangerous for a rough and tumble playgroup imo.

So AIBU? (do admit the judgey thing but it was quick and I was friendly to the mums, honest)

Iklboo Tue 23-Sep-08 14:52:12

Small girl at a playgroup near us had one of those gold dolls/clown thingies on a neck chain. I thought she was dressing up in her mum's stuff but apparently it was hers.
Looked too big for her sad

StayFrosty Tue 23-Sep-08 14:59:45

I think excessive jewellry on little tinies looks just awful, and is more about the parents showing their "taste" off than what is practical or comfortable for the LOs hmm. You judged but quuickly and painlessly wink so yanbu.

Ikiboo, apart from looking utterly wretched, those gold clowns are not cheap at all (tho they look it). My mum used to teach reception in a very rough school, and one large extended family had matching ones in descending sizes, the grandma had an unbelievably massive one, the mums had medium ones and the little girls had small ones. Some of the little girls in that class used to take all of 15 minutes getting all their jewellry off for PE shock

Kimi Tue 23-Sep-08 15:00:01

Chavtastic grin

kt14 Tue 23-Sep-08 15:00:44

That's it, the kid in tshirt, jeans and trainers today really didn't look right in a big gold chain, it looked like it should have been on some bloke with a hairy chest and open neck shirt.

Just don't get it. Is it supposed to make other people think, "wow, they must be rich to send their kids out dripping in gold" because I don't..

Iklboo Tue 23-Sep-08 15:01:20

Oh I know they're not cheap - that's why I thought she was wearing her mum's stuff. I really don't like them (but I hate clowns in general <shudder>)

kt14 Tue 23-Sep-08 15:02:48

frankly, you could not pay me to wear a gold clown.

EffiePerine Tue 23-Sep-08 15:03:24

isn't gold jewellery on babies a cultural thing? Admit to being a little shocked at a beautiful 8 mo girl with a chunky waist-length gold chain. But then I don't like babies with pierced ears either <happily opens old can of worms>

MrsTittleMouse Tue 23-Sep-08 15:04:00

I'm not a fan on boys or girls. I think that children should be dressed for comfort and any other consideration comes well down the list. Anything like jewellry that can catch when they're playing seems like madness to me.

squeaver Tue 23-Sep-08 15:05:17

Judge away! Hideous, hideous.

MarlaSinger Tue 23-Sep-08 15:05:30

Boy or girl I think jewellery on young children is just a bit weird.

Each to their own and all that, of course.

StayFrosty Tue 23-Sep-08 15:05:43

yellow gold + clown x necklace = unspeakable vileness grin It is the sum of everything that is wrong imo. They could only be wronger if they had Gary Glitter's face.

lulabellarama Tue 23-Sep-08 15:06:09

There are several reasons why children should not be in jewellery unless there is some religious significance (and even then I'd be sceptical).
1. It could cause injury
2. It could get lost
3. It looks ridiculous
I don't understand why you are allowed to pierce childrens ears.

kt14 Tue 23-Sep-08 15:11:52

No cultural or religious reason for the kids I saw wearing jewellery that I could easily ascertain anyway..

Just poor taste on the part of the parents methinks. Plus the fact that Argos is one of the only places in our town to purchase jewellery, and gold clowns/chains are abundant in their catalogue.

NotAnOtter Tue 23-Sep-08 15:13:39

girls are adorned in rubbish all the time - they are babies - mine wear allsorts

cyteen Tue 23-Sep-08 15:15:55

gold clowns <shudder>

bloomingfedup Tue 23-Sep-08 15:36:52

YANBU. EWWW bad taste and dangerous. Hate to say it but chavtastic.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now