Talk

Advanced search

to put dd back in nappies?

(12 Posts)
BroccoliSpears Tue 23-Sep-08 14:37:25

She is 2.4. She's been potty trained for 3 months. Now she's decided she wants to wear nappies again. I have no idea why. Convenience?

So, she's back in nappies. I'm back changing pooey bums in the disabled loo at Starbucks.

She's happy.
I'm mildly irritated.

Is this normal behaviour?

newforold Tue 23-Sep-08 14:40:25

normal. sometimes the little lambs decide they want a bit of babying again.

It's up to you whether or not you want to let her though. If she's been trained for three months she should be ok to just be refused nappies.

Has she been constipated lately or anything similar? Just wondering if something has scared her a little on the loo?

BroccoliSpears Tue 23-Sep-08 15:30:00

Thank you newforold.

I think potty training must be the most boring and loathed subject on Mumsnet! I've been wittering about this in the Nappies & Potty training topic with not much response so thought I'd ride on AIBU's tailcoats to get a bit more of a response. Still nothing!

I know it's boring but I really am unsure what to do / how worried I should be.

ethanchristopher Tue 23-Sep-08 20:40:04

personally i would start a reward chart for everyday that she decides she will go potty instead of a nappy

it encourages her to potty train but also gives her that fall back for bad days and also encourages less "accidents"

you could do something like for every 5 days she is allowed extra story at bedtime/trip to softplay centre/video from the library/ pizza for tea e.t.c

BroccoliSpears Wed 24-Sep-08 13:31:09

I've never yet tried a reward chart with her. She seems to have the attention span of a gnat, and I'm not convinced a sticker on a chart will be a motivator for her. Maybe too young to understand? Definitely wouldn't get the concept of a treat of some sort some time in the future.

It's a good idea to incentivise her though. Will think on that, thank you.

HonoriaGlossop Wed 24-Sep-08 13:58:11

TBH I wouldn't worry. If she is happy to be in nappies, then she's not too old IMO. I think you did great to go with it; as newforold says sometimes they want babying a bit, and I think the fact that you have gone along with it means that it will be shorter-lived as a phase.

There's nothing to stop you in a couple of months telling her that it's no nappies now...going along with this for now doesn't mean you will never be able to go back to it...

Scarletibis Wed 24-Sep-08 14:12:04

Agree with Honoria

I potty trained my eldest at 2.6 and although she seemed ready at the time I had about 9 months of bribes/stickers/ you name it before she was really reliable.

DD2 was not ready AT ALL at 2.6 so I left it and tried again until she was (which was 2.10 in the end) at which point she needed no bribes/incentive plans or anything. Much easier.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 24-Sep-08 14:14:24

You know what? I wouldn't worry. Some children of that age haven't even started potty training and something has made her want the nappies on. Go with the flow and you could always talk about the shopping trip you can go on together when she wants to get some new knickers to wear again.

BroccoliSpears, am I right in thinking that you have a baby too?

If so could it just be a new arrival, get some of the attention kind of behaviour.

Maybe go overboard on the fuss, and 'big girl' comments for using the potty.

Ds 3.5 (at the time) was pretty much dry at night when his sister was born, but demanded to go back in cloth nappies for sleeping, to 'be like his sister', he's still in them 7 months later hmm, but they are hardly ever wet, so it keeps him happy and isn't really a problem.

When ds first stopped wearing day nappies at age 2 he periodically asked for them back, but I just told him 'no' grin

However I may not have done this if I had a small one too, as regression is quite common at times of change.

Sorry if this is a bit random, has taken me ages to type, am bf at the same time.

DanJARMouse Wed 24-Sep-08 14:26:50

Dont worry too much.

DD2 is 3 next month and has only been out of daytime nappies for 3 weeks.

We had tried earlier and would get a week or so but then nappies were back!

This time has been so much easier, first few days I had pissy carpets and pooey pants, but by the end of that first week we cracked it!

Now I can take her anywhere on the basis she has a wee before we go, and if a long journey (my dads, 20-25mins in car) she goes when we get there.

helpfulornot Wed 24-Sep-08 14:29:05

Poor you having to use the disabled loo at Starbucks. Life is hard hmm.

Seriously though, your DD is very young, she is doing really well to have achieved as much as she has regarding training.

DS, who is now 4 and pretty much completely dry and clean smile did go through a stage of wanting a nappy.

I am sure what your DD is doing is completely normal, especially if she does have a younger sibling who competes for your attention.

Worry not. smile

BroccoliSpears Wed 24-Sep-08 17:31:01

Thank you for the replies. Will just "go with the flow" (arf grin) and see how we go. Have a potentially unsettling move coming up soon so will let her do as she pleases and start again when she's ready.

helpfulornot - I didn't imply that anyone should feel sorry for me or that my life is hard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now