Talk

Advanced search

to feel SO sorry for this child?

(47 Posts)
scampadoodle Mon 22-Sep-08 22:13:26

Our favoured few

This is a letter from The Observer this week, concerning whether people have favourites amongst their children:

"Could I suggest a solution to all those parents in denial over having favourite children ('Mothers admit to favourite children', News, last week)?

My wife and I simply decided to each rank our three children in preferential order, giving the favourite three points, the middle one two points and the last one point.

Each child ended up with four points, showing they are equally loved. The bonus is that our eldest son knows he is the favourite of one parent, his mum. Our daughter is the favourite of another parent (her dad) and our youngest son knows he is not last in either list. We are all happy and there is not a trace of parental angst to be found anywhere in the house.
George Steel
Liverpool"

'our youngest son knows he is not last in either list' Yeah - and he also knows he's not the favourite of either parent. In both their eyes he's second best. What a smug git that father is. Sitting down & scoring points - WTF???

SmugColditz Mon 22-Sep-08 22:14:27

I'm assuming it's a joke.

MadamAnt Mon 22-Sep-08 22:15:04

shock bizarro

TheFallenMadonna Mon 22-Sep-08 22:15:07

Joke, surely?

Thomcat Mon 22-Sep-08 22:17:34

Oh shock Fpr real? hmm Not sure I feel sorry for the child as it's being overridden by a need to smash the fathers face repeatedly against the pavement!
Anyway the son least favoured will grow up to be incredibly rich and powerful and have his dad put in a home so.......

Utterly ridiculous. Pints system my arse! What a twat!

ingles2 Mon 22-Sep-08 22:17:45

shock
odd!

scampadoodle Mon 22-Sep-08 22:18:22

I know it's daft, but it really upset me. I hope it is a joke - prefer my being a mug to a boy having parents like that.

wheresthehamster Mon 22-Sep-08 22:18:23

How could you RANK your children?? Say the youngest son had only got 2 points?? "We are all happy" hmm

Git angry

HRHMamazon Mon 22-Sep-08 22:18:29

he actually told his children their score?
jeez. its bad enough to award them points but to actually tell them...

i hope the kids have decent enough jobs to afford a good therapist.

Buda Mon 22-Sep-08 22:19:12

WTF!

I am one of 4 girls. I could not honestly telly you which (if any) of us was/is a favorite.

My dad is so anal about such things that I remember a phonecall that I made when I lived in Vietnam.

"Hi" siad I
"Hello?" said he
It's me, I said.
Who, he said.
Your favourite daughter, I said.
I don't have any favourites, He said.
Can I be your favourite daughter in Vietnam? I asked.
No, I don't have any favourites, he siad.

That is as it should be.

scampadoodle Mon 22-Sep-08 22:19:33

I'm glad you all agree, I thought maybe I was being a tad over-sensitive grin

mamazee Mon 22-Sep-08 22:19:42

its a joke grin

wheresthehamster Mon 22-Sep-08 22:20:33

In fact I hope the eldest son realises he is the least favourite child of his dad and stabs him...

Milliways Mon 22-Sep-08 22:21:58

I am lucky with my 2, as I have a Favourite girl & a Favourite boy grin

scampadoodle Mon 22-Sep-08 22:22:33

Please, Mr or Mrs George Steel, can you tell us your letter was tongue in cheek?

LynetteScavo Mon 22-Sep-08 22:25:06

It must be a joke!

hmm

anyfucker Mon 22-Sep-08 22:25:08

buda, that was lovely ikkle anecdote-let <sniff>

that bloke is a twat, and a smug one at that

handlemecarefully Mon 22-Sep-08 22:26:33

There is no way that could be anything other than a wind up, surely?

Thomcat Mon 22-Sep-08 22:27:12

Your dad has it spot on Buda, bless him smile

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 22-Sep-08 22:31:35

i have favourite children. sometimes dd1 will be my favourite because she says/does something funny/helpfull/kind and then dd2 will smile/giggle/wink and she will becom my favourite wink

that man sounds like an arse.

bellabelly Mon 22-Sep-08 22:34:33

Why are so many of you failing to spot that he is NOT BEING SERIOUS?! shock

Yurtgirl Mon 22-Sep-08 22:36:51

It sounds like a real situation to me tbh - I know parents that think exactly like Mr Steele in liverpool

My X H parents regulary told him that as the third (fifth/sixth if you include children from previous relationships) he was a mistake and that they didnt love him as much as the first two - because he was a mistake............

lilmissmummy Mon 22-Sep-08 22:41:01

aww that is really sad!

PootyApplewater Mon 22-Sep-08 22:41:34

It's tongue in cheek.

A comment that an article discussing favourite children is rather facile.
As indeed it is.

There was a media request on here a few weeks ago, asking posters to be interviewed and admit to having a favourite child.

That would have led to family harmony.hmm

SmugColditz Mon 22-Sep-08 22:44:07

For all my father's faults, when ever we asked him to tell us his favourite, he would reply "All of you sometimes. NOne of you most of the time. Go and play outside, I'm watching the news."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now