Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed at DD's schoolfriend's dad?

(12 Posts)
Havenamechangedtostayanonymous Mon 22-Sep-08 18:33:28

I really don't know if I am or not...
DD is set to take an entrance exam to a grammar school on friday, I asked friend A's dad what day the friend A was taking it, he said he thought friday, I said great we'd put friday not sat down on the form and DD and friend A were both set to take the exam on friday, spoke to friend B's parents and said both girls were down for friday and if B took it on friday I'd have all 3 after and take them for pizza/cinema etc
Today I spoke to friend B (who is in a different class to dd and friend A with whom they don't have much to do with) and she said friend A's dad rang her and said they'd contacted the school and changed to saturaday, would B do the same so A wasn't alone, she thought that DD must have changed too so rang the school.

Now DD is crying hysterically as she won't know anyone else there. I have tried explaining she won't be the only one and there is only a 15min break but she's 10 so logic isn't her strong point...

KristinaM Mon 22-Sep-08 18:45:54

i woudl be a bit annoyed too but no point in making an issue of it with him you will want to stay freindly in case teh kids all end up at school together

cant you chaneg DDs date to saturday?

potoftea Mon 22-Sep-08 18:51:43

I'd be so annoyed at this that I'd phone the dad now and play dumb eg. "my dd has got some idea into her head that your dd and B are doing the exam on sat, but I've assured her that I'd already spoken to you about it and arranged it. Any idea what's going on".

At least he should be embarassed.

Other than that there's not alot you can do other than reassure your dd that she won't be alone, there will be others in the same position.
Maybe phone the school and explain that your dd is apprehensive as she won't know anyone there. They may be able to reassure you.

pointydog Mon 22-Sep-08 19:05:33

Does it really matter about doing an exam on the same day as someone you know?

ethanchristopher Mon 22-Sep-08 19:10:25

pointy dog - ofg course it does for a scared 11 year old

she will be on her own

i think the phonecall is a good idea potoftea

Quattrocento Mon 22-Sep-08 19:14:35

Well you know this is all a storm in a teacup, don't you?

My DD is sitting the exams on her own. Give yours a banana or something - she sounds as though she has low blood sugar or is overtired. Then just be calm and practical about it - she might be taking her cue from you and getting too wound up about it.

Logic really needs to be worked on for those verbal reasoning papers!!

2point4kids Mon 22-Sep-08 19:15:31

I'd be cross too.

I'd phone the Dad and say 'I'm just calling to check that your DD still wants to come for pizza etc after the exam on Friday?' and let him dig his way out of that one!!

pointydog Mon 22-Sep-08 19:17:33

There's no 'of course' about it. The children will go in, someone pleasant will go through the rules, there will be silnece. I don't see how having a friend there really helps that much. A parent would do.

ethanchristopher Mon 22-Sep-08 19:20:32

well wen i went for my exam (and im quite outgoing and confident) i was alone cause my other 4 friends were doing it the next day

i was on my own and scared about the exam and making friends and sat there miserable the whole day

i got into the school but never realy forgot how upset i was that day, maybe just my experience but i can definately sympathise with pot's dd

silvercrown Wed 24-Sep-08 16:21:04

Think it was unfair of him to change arrangements like that and rude not to tell you when you had made special arrangements. Why didn't the other mother check with him that you were also changing the day?? Is there a chance you could change the day to Saturday? I would be mad because I think he has behaved in such a rude way and of course your DD is upset because she wanted to be with her friends. Having friends around is important at any age.

Havenamechangedtostayanonymous Fri 26-Sep-08 14:44:14

Well DD did her exam this morning and was fine one she got there (bit anxious in the morning though!)
but I did innocently ask if friend A was still coming over yesterday, cue much squirming and then a thinly veiled rant about the admissions policy (DD is much more likely to get a place than friend A) so I think part of it could have been bitterness...

KristinaM Sat 27-Sep-08 19:59:29

let us knwo if she gets a place smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now