Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to want to scream

(17 Posts)
mum2oneloudbaby Mon 22-Sep-08 14:14:55

i am sick to the back teeth of parents, grandparents et al saying 'we didn't have that in our days'

Referring to the various paraphenalia sp.? now available for children.

Most recently in reference to sleeping bags and car seats.

it makes me want to scream back 'you didn't have hot running water, an indoor toilet or central heating but you wouldn't be without them'

[grrr] aibu

Twelvelegs Mon 22-Sep-08 14:16:03

Perhaps you should ask what their gps said to them as children that'they never had in their day?'.

themoon66 Mon 22-Sep-08 14:18:11

It will get worse so get used to biting your tongue now.

As your DCs turn into teens and the grandparents turn into even older old farts, the comments get more frequent and (in my case) more nasty.

Octothechildherder Mon 22-Sep-08 14:22:46

I walk away and say nothing. smile nicely and imagine them covered in shit.

ImNotOnline Mon 22-Sep-08 14:28:14

I usually reply "Well i bet you wish you had"

Usually resulting in a stupified stare or nodded agreement.

Ashantai Mon 22-Sep-08 14:55:28

PMSL @ Octo grin grin

mum2oneloudbaby Mon 22-Sep-08 15:54:26

grin octo. need to find a way of combining yours and notonline. i'm not good at keeping my mouth shut smile.

VinegarTits Mon 22-Sep-08 15:58:38

I would have said well cars werent invented in your day so how could you?

TwoMore Mon 22-Sep-08 16:00:37

YANBU! My MIL said it scathingly about a fridge!

ethanchristopher Mon 22-Sep-08 20:01:38

yep yep

especailly phones, they moan that "in their day they didnt have them e.t.c" then sit there with their sky+ box watching sky arts while my dn (neice) is allowed to go down the road to the shops because she is able to contact us so he doesnt have to accompany her

and while were on sky arts - why on earth would someone give my grandad an excuse to watch more opera while i'm there? why do it?

onthepier Mon 22-Sep-08 22:07:16

YANBU. I remember being in town when my dd was at the newborn stage + bumping into a neighbour in her 60's/early 70's.

She was insisting on giving me a lift home despite the fact my dd was in a pram with no car seat. Town was only a 20 min. walk from my house by the way!

I declined the offer, saying I'd rather walk as I didn't have a car seat with me, but thanked her all the same. She got very offended, + started saying "In my day we didn't need car seats, for god's sake, collapse the pram, it'll easily fit in the boot. Baby will be fine on your lap".

I left her feeling awkward, but there had been a sharp frost that morning, meaning slippery roads + I just felt safer walking. She looked at me as though I was mad!

babyignoramus Tue 23-Sep-08 11:32:42

This reminded me of that Peter kay show where he's talking about what he'll say to his children - 'you don't know you're born - your mother only had a dishwasher, she had to load it on her own, by hand...!'. It doesn't bother me TBH, I'm just going to get my revenge when I'm old. grin

pagwatch Tue 23-Sep-08 11:37:08

when my dad said that to my DS1 he asked 'what was it like then?' and my dad wrote him a stack of emails describing very poor childhood in Ireland in the 40's.

DS1 still has them. dad died a few years ago.

When we first moved to London my dad did a trip back to Ireland via car ferry with ten of us in the car. When DS1 says hes squashed in the back witrh his sibs I use that one. Farkin kids don't know their born.
What is the point of having children if you can't annoy them?

pagwatch Tue 23-Sep-08 11:38:05

grin

sorry - that was a jolly interlude wasn't it !
grin

mum2oneloudbaby Tue 23-Sep-08 18:03:57

good point pagwatch must store these things up for future use on dd

silvercrown Thu 25-Sep-08 20:31:33

I would just say "yes but remember how happy you were when they invented the wheel!" I find myself saying it to the kids now and it's actually quite scary because I can say "I remember when we first got computers in schools amd it took half a day to load a casette and wait for it to get started" - I'm only 35!!!

wehaveallbeenthere Thu 25-Sep-08 20:48:51

lol, I'm laughing because most of those things that kids have today are wonderful, some not so much.
It's all new since all I had was dirt and a few sticks to play with. (just kidding) Take it with a grain of salt...you'll be old and crusty and saying the same thing in too soon a time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now