Talk

Advanced search

by not allowing my 9 yr old ds to play Grand Theft Auto?!

(25 Posts)
Dumbass Mon 22-Sep-08 11:27:02

Several of his 8 year old school chums have this computer game. Ds1 cannot understand why his friends and their younger siblings are allowed to buy and play these games but I wont let him.
Obviously I know it's an '18', and it's got swearing and shooting etc in it, but I haven't actually seen it myself. I'm assuming though that it is an '18' for a reason and therefore totally unsuitable for a 9 year old child.... am I right?

mumblechum Mon 22-Sep-08 11:29:00

Yes, you're right. Totally unsuitable for anyone under 13 or 14, and that would be pushing it.

foxytocin Mon 22-Sep-08 11:30:05

You are totally right.

It is unsuitable. End of.

ImNotOnline Mon 22-Sep-08 11:30:24

YANBU - I wouldn't dream of letting my 9 year old DS own this and i'm not overly strict about age restrictions.

PigeonPie Mon 22-Sep-08 11:30:31

Yes, it's 18 for a reason and is definitely not suitable for a nine year old. YANBU

themoon66 Mon 22-Sep-08 11:30:44

I think it is totally unsuitable and I've had arguments with my SiL about this very game. She bought it for her 9 and 7 year old DSs and 4 yr old DD. She told my DS, who was 13 at the time... 'oh you can come round to mine and play it and we won't tell your mum'.

Saturn74 Mon 22-Sep-08 11:35:16

Not unreasonable at all.

Someone let my sons play this at their house when they were about 8 and 6.
She said her son (also 8) wanted to play it, and my two said they did too.
My DCs hadn't got a clue what it was.
It beggars belief really.

debzmb62 Mon 22-Sep-08 11:35:45

omg yes its ok if you want your dc to be knocking over people killing and shooting them killing policemen stabbing etc etc only a game !! yeh right the next one's on are even worsre !! completely deffinatly not should be banned if you ask me !!

MerkinFitter Mon 22-Sep-08 11:40:03

YANBU - Id never let any of my DCs play it either!

themoon - your sil sounds quite beastly!

RubyRioja Mon 22-Sep-08 11:41:19

hardly!

JacobsPrincess Mon 22-Sep-08 11:41:42

I struggle to allow my 34yr old DH play it!

bogie Mon 22-Sep-08 11:43:59

totally unsuitable for a 9 year old sad for him that his friends parents don't care about them playing on it.

AuntieMaggie Mon 22-Sep-08 11:46:56

Ditto JP - my DP plays it and I hate it!

I certainly wouldn't let my DC of any age play it - they can play it when they're old enough to buy it themselves!

DaphneMoon Mon 22-Sep-08 11:54:03

I don't allow my DS who is 8 to have any violent games on his DS.

Janos Mon 22-Sep-08 11:56:01

Hell no, YANBU. Can't believe people are dumb enough to let their kids play this.

It's an 18 cert for a reason, people.

Donk Mon 22-Sep-08 11:56:46

If DH played GTA I would 'reformat' the disk in the microwave - never mind my DS!

Janos Mon 22-Sep-08 11:57:38

BTW themoon your SiL sounds absolutely lovely !

<Whispers> I used to play it when I was at uni - so this is the reaction of the morally-ambiguous hmm

It is an incredibly violent game. The equivalent of letting your children watch a film where people are graphically shot/chainsawed/flamethrowered, but directed to do so by your dc.

It is completely unsuitable for anyone under the age of 21 IMO. I know my son's friends (10years) play it.

There is a very naive opinion amongst certain parents that all computer "games" are harmless. Just as they think all "comics" are for children - I remember a mother trying to get an horrifically graphic comic for her 8 year old out of the library - from the adult section I might add. After ignoring my protestations that it wasn't suitable, I finally insisted she take the time to look in it. Her face looked like shock

Dumbass Mon 22-Sep-08 12:17:08

Thank you. It's hard, I didn't think I was being unreasonable but these other kid's parents look at me like I'm mad and tell me it's fine, there's really nothing wrong with the games. I've told his best mate's mum that it's violent, the language is appalling and people get shot in the face (this is what DS1 told me when he played it round there last summer)and she laughed and told me all they do is drive around on motorbikes. When I pointed out that clearly they didn't because DS1 told me what they'd been doing she didn't seem to believe me.
His friends are aware that DS1 isn't allowed to play it but I feel bad because he's the odd one out. It seems the parents don't monitor what's going on and DS1 ends up sitting there watching it while his friends play - but not playing himself in case I find out and go ballastic.

PersephoneSnape Mon 22-Sep-08 12:25:55

I've heard you can pick up hookers onsome levels as well.

no, I wouldn't let my children play it.

She needs to play it. I'm starting to think there should be a rule stating that all parents must have personal experience of a game before they can permit their children to play them.

When you shoot somebody - and different shots do different things - blood spurts out very graphically and they fall to the floor.

There are prostitutes you can pick up and pay to make your car rock.

You can set fire to people - they will run about screaming until they keel over.

You can run people over - again with plenty of blood and realistic effects - there are no children in the game but there are little old ladies and other passers by to batter.

You can beat people with a baseball bat.
You can use a chainsaw to gruesome effect.
You can use knives/swords to stab people.

I hope to goodness they are not doing any of the missions - most are hugely inappropriate to say the least. Things like taking your mob boss's young, tarty girlfriend to get her drugs before escaping from the police and her attempting to seduce you. Things like that.

Even just driving around you are likely to run over people/get shot at by rival gangs/witness other CGI characters doing any of the above. (And I don't believe for a second that they just drive around).

Hope that gives you a bit of <ahem> ammunition next time you talk to her about not letting your children play it.

hecate Mon 22-Sep-08 12:27:51

No you are not unreasonable. It is vile.

no wonder this world is going to shit when this sort of disgusting stuff is 'fun', and violence and abuse is entertainment.

OrmIrian Mon 22-Sep-08 12:29:22

No. You are quite right. It's horrible.

ByTheSea Mon 22-Sep-08 12:34:54

I won't let mine (11 and 12) play it either.

TheArmadillo Mon 22-Sep-08 12:36:57

YANBU - it is in no way suitable for children.

youknownothingofthecrunch is absolutely right. People don't seem to get that these (along with adult comics etc) are aimed at adults not children. Things like manga/anime films that are usually seperated but people still think animated = kids despite age warnings.

You then get people wanting them banned because their child played/watched/read them (after they themselves bought it usually) and they suddenly realise how awful they can be. Yet they seem to ignore the age rating on them, most will argue with shop assistants who point it out to them - but none will take responsibilty for the fact THEY are responsible for introducing them to their kids.

Video games should always be played thru by an adult before giving them to kids (exceptions being the 3+ ones) same with comic books.

I have no problem with parents deciding for themselves if things are suitable for their children as long as they take the time to actually watch/read it first (e.g. games/films/tv etc).

I do get angry when people say they should be banned (I know it hasn't been put on here yet) because I feel that there is a huge adult population who are perfectly capable of deciding if it is suitable for themselves but are facing calls to have stuff banned as peopel can't be bothered to check what their children are doing in their own home.

There are computer games out there I won't play and won't be in the room if dp is playing as I find them disturbing - I know I'm a wuss but I'd hate to think of a child playing them. (not GTA - there are worse, though GTA is bad enough).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now