Talk

Advanced search

to think that checkout staff shouldn't lie to me because my kids were annoying them....

(48 Posts)
ChirpyGirl Sun 21-Sep-08 19:34:35

At least I am pretty sure he was lying.
I was packing shopping into the trolley as had left bags in teh car, DD's were busy poking the buttons on the pin pad thingy, which they do a lothmm
Grumpy checkout man says 'you need to stop them doing that, they just pressed a button and it meant you have 2 of these bottles on your shopping now, I've got to delete one'
I said that it didn't affect teh shopping, but if he wanted them to stop then they would but he was insistent that every time they pressed it it added that multiple of the shopping onto my bill and he woudl have to fix it.

He was wrong wasn't he? and if they were pissing him off then fine, say 'stop them, that is annoying me' and I would have moved them, but to make up sucha random lie?

nickytwotimes Sun 21-Sep-08 19:36:49

Chill!
I have no idea how these things work - it was all signatures in my day, lol - but who cares?
Tbh, you should have stopped them before he had to say something.

Ripeberry Sun 21-Sep-08 19:38:08

I wonder which key DELETES items, that would be handy (snigger)grin

Tortington Sun 21-Sep-08 19:38:16

yes it was a lie.

but there are things that children shouldn't touch

StealthPolarBear Sun 21-Sep-08 19:38:22

If you mean the chip n pin machine then you're right afaik, I fail to see how it's linked up to the shopping scan part of the till at all hmm

Upwind Sun 21-Sep-08 19:38:36

what nicky said..

BreevandercampLGJ Sun 21-Sep-08 19:38:39

Not sure, but my DS is very aware that those touch pads are strictly out of bounds.

and if they were pissing him off then fine, say 'stop them, that is annoying me' and I would have moved them, but to make up sucha random lie?

Funnily enough, I can't help feeling if he had said stop that, you would have taken offence at him having an opinion on your children.

belgo Sun 21-Sep-08 19:38:41

If you didn't let them play with the pin pad, he wouldn't have needed to say anything. I'm not sure why you are annoyed about it.

muggglewump Sun 21-Sep-08 19:40:04

Why should he have to say anything for you to get them not to touch?

WigWamBam Sun 21-Sep-08 19:42:04

I can't see what he would gain from lying to you. Anyway, if he was right then the extra item and the removal of it will probably be itemised on your receipt so you should be able to check it.

Maybe he thought it would offend you if he asked you to stop them, and he was trying to find a nicer way?

Another thing to bear in mind: some of those pin pads are really easy to break, and in the pharmacy where my sister works, the staff are held responsible and charged for breakages. Maybe your checkout man's company is the same?

In any event, it's your responsibility to stop them messing with things which they shouldn't be messing with - he shouldn't have had to stop them, that was your job.

TheProvincialLady Sun 21-Sep-08 19:42:06

But if he had said that to you, you might have reported him for rudeness. He was just doing what he could to stop your kids being a PITA.

ruddynorah Sun 21-Sep-08 19:42:16

how old are your kids? most people give their children food ie raisins/ end of baguette/ kingsize mars bar to keep them quiet and AWAY from the pin pad.

wheresthehamster Sun 21-Sep-08 19:42:27

He was probably hoping that you would back him up. "Ooooh did you hear that DDs? Best not to touch them anymore"

misdee Sun 21-Sep-08 19:45:34

i dont care if he was lying.

stop your kids touching stuff they shouldn't

TsarChasm Sun 21-Sep-08 19:47:10

He was trying to be tactful because well it's annoying. hmm

Wilkiepedia Sun 21-Sep-08 19:49:27

He was trying to be nice. Why didn't you just stop your kids touching it? Wrid thread.

Wilkiepedia Sun 21-Sep-08 19:49:41

weird

Bettyboobird Sun 21-Sep-08 19:50:45

Agree with wheresthehamster

wehaveallbeenthere Sun 21-Sep-08 19:51:06

I don't know if he was lying or not. I know here in the US the checkouts have similar looking machines but they all operate differently. Some are wired to do more than just one function on the buttons.
Perhaps he annoyed you with his comment on a day when the children were behaving in a way that they usually didn't?
I just noticed my youngest behaving in a way that I thought highly out of her nature and if I hadn't seen it I would deny it to the death.
We (family of 5 with two adult males present) walking out of a restaurant. There are 5 servers/greeters by the desk with their backs to us as they are looking at the list of people. My older daughter walked first, son second, husband leading youngest (the guilty culprit) and then myself.
Without turning her head my youngest reached over and gave the waitress a pinch on her bum! and then just dropped her arm...she kept walking and didn't make any indication that she had done anything. I saw the look of the ladies face as she clearly thought either my son or husband had done that but they were out the door before anything could be said. My daughter is a little short one at 10 and no one would think (I saw it and had to double check my thoughts as I couldn't believe it, happened so fast) she the guilty one.
I told my husband about it in the car and everyone had a good laugh. My youngest just gave a shy smile.shock

ChirpyGirl Sun 21-Sep-08 19:51:35

but I didn't know they were doing it! they each had some bread and a drink, and their teddies to stop them but as I had my head in the trolley I hadn't spotted it.
It can't have been more than a few seconds,normally if they do they ask me to stop them touching it, which is fine, not a problem, agree to not let them touch it, but it was such a random lie!

Or okay, IWBU, fair enough!

Goober Sun 21-Sep-08 19:52:44

I would have told my kids before he had to.

ChirpyGirl Sun 21-Sep-08 19:53:51

I see what you mean wheresthehamster, but he was really snarky about it and quite snappy, which was not the way to do that I think.
They are 11 months and 2.6, and it was the 11 month old who was doing it.

wehaveallbeenthere Sun 21-Sep-08 19:55:45

oh, always check your tape receipt. You never know if someone else started a function before yours and the last!

wehaveallbeenthere Sun 21-Sep-08 20:00:30

11 months is still a learning age. They are curious (they are supposed to be) about everything...especially those items that are nonos.
Don't worry ChirpyGirl. You can be on your guard next time. Besides, maybe this bloke just was having a bad day and decided to take it out on you as you were clearly vulnerable (busy and leaving).

ChirpyGirl Sun 21-Sep-08 20:04:19

Am not worried, or pissed off, just bemused really!
(oh, and if I am not MNing I have to watch that dire Charley Boorman thing so am a bit bored...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now