Talk

Advanced search

To think that VAT should not be charged on cloth nappies

(14 Posts)
Reallytired Sun 21-Sep-08 19:13:09

VAT is not charged on children's clothing, books or food so why should VAT be charged on nappies.

I bought some cloth nappies over the internet thinking the bill would be £66 and then got a shock when I went to click buy and saw that £9 VAT had been added. It hardly encourages someone to invest in cloth nappies.

I think its unfair charging VAT on disposible nappies yet alone cloth. Its not as if you can avoid buying nappies when you have a baby.

DaisySteiner Sun 21-Sep-08 19:13:53

It's not - they're zero rated!

DaisySteiner Sun 21-Sep-08 19:14:38

Did you buy any accessories - buckets, wipes, liners etc, because it is chargable on these.

2shoes Sun 21-Sep-08 19:17:24

VAT is bloody unfair imo.I brought some software for dd, clicker and some symbols, got charged loads of VAT, even though as she is disabled she is exempt, because the tax people say able bodied people can use themhmm(wonders why an able bodied person needs clicker) so I understand your anger.

DrHorrible Sun 21-Sep-08 19:19:24

VAT isn't charged on cloth nappies.

It is charged on nippas, wash, possibly liners etc.

Reallytired Sun 21-Sep-08 19:20:57

amazon have just charged me VAT. Do you have a link to show they are zero rated so I can complain to amazon.

DrHorrible Sun 21-Sep-08 19:22:20

what did you buy?

Not sure about links, but I know from selling & buying that they are def exempt

DaisySteiner Sun 21-Sep-08 19:24:49

Try this

ChirpyGirl Sun 21-Sep-08 19:28:33

What exactly have they cahrged VAT on, all cloth nappies are zero rated as the others have said, but 'accesories' are not.

(2shoes, Unfortunately the diabled VAT relief is only for things that are ‘designed for use solely by disabled people’, and if the manufacturer does not state that on the item it does not qualify for the relief, which I know is beyond crap, but the manufactureres need to state this is the use, otherwise you get lumbered with the VAT)

Reallytired Sun 21-Sep-08 22:14:28

I have been charged by amazon on the nappies themselves. I will email them and ask.

Reallytired Sun 21-Sep-08 22:20:30

I suppose the problem with clicker is that its useful for profoundly dyslexic kids, who aren't strictly speaking disabled. I know lots of children who love clicker who can walk and talk normally. Clicker is a brilliant and I would not be surprised if mainstream kids found it useful as well.

I think its sad that educational software has VAT on it. Clicker is quite expensive even without paying VAT.

Reallytired Sun 21-Sep-08 22:20:36

I suppose the problem with clicker is that its useful for profoundly dyslexic kids, who aren't strictly speaking disabled. I know lots of children who love clicker who can walk and talk normally. Clicker is a brilliant and I would not be surprised if mainstream kids found it useful as well.

I think its sad that educational software has VAT on it. Clicker is quite expensive even without paying VAT.

DrHorrible Mon 22-Sep-08 07:11:43

Yup, email them and give em hell!

leeloo1 Tue 23-Sep-08 00:40:01

I've been charged VAT by Amazon on the 'sets' of tots bots nappies they're selling - it doesn't say what they include, but I think its nappies, wraps and liners... I've copied them the link helpfully posted above and the relevant bit about nappies being exempt, so *fingers crossed* I'll get a bit of a refund - somehow I doubt it though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now