Talk

Advanced search

to think that this is extremely innapropriate (yet probably unintentional)

(29 Posts)
ethanchristopher Sun 21-Sep-08 17:40:31

shopping for pants for ds today and saw some little girls dora pants that say "lets explore" on the front

and then later on went into elc and saw a book that said "touch me i'm not scary" as the title

and then i saw a little girl walk past (about 4 or 5) that had a top on saying "Bitch. That's Me!"

i was like wtf, is the world backlashing against all this political correctness?

i understand that the first 2 is probably me reading to muxch into it but still, especaially the pants. but the girls t-shirt was a bit hmm

squeaver Sun 21-Sep-08 17:46:46

My dd has those Dora pants. Never occurred to me for one minute to think anything of it.

Think you are reading too much into the book but I HATE t-shirts like that. What are the child's parents thinking? Do they think it's funny?

It's not about pc-ness, it's about sexualising children.

imananny Sun 21-Sep-08 17:51:21

friends dd also has those pants - i never even thought of it as being rude or sexual

but unfort innocent things can be now be misread

but who the hell would put their dd in a top that says bitch} shockangry sad

2shoes Sun 21-Sep-08 17:57:11

so pants on a small child saying "lets explore" are ok, yet a tshirt saying the wearer is a female dog is wrong.
yeah ok

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sun 21-Sep-08 17:57:17

First two, just you reading too much into it.
Third one: shock

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sun 21-Sep-08 17:58:15

Yes 2shoes, because it is the intention that counts. Honi soit qui mal y pense and all that.

Umlellala Sun 21-Sep-08 17:58:32

Bitch is horrible, yes.

But anyone who reads something dodgy into 'let's explore' on Dora the Explorer pants is themselves the problem... children can be as 'sexual' as they like, it's the adults that need to watch their behaviour.

2shoes Sun 21-Sep-08 18:00:59

do the pants have a pic of dora on them?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sun 21-Sep-08 18:03:53

I should think it quite likely.

chloemegjess Sun 21-Sep-08 18:03:57

2shoes - so you think it is ok to have a little child in a top that says bitch? I would NEVER even consider that and I am supprised they even make them!

Other 2 though I think are fine

2shoes Sun 21-Sep-08 18:06:04

lol
oops I misread, i naturally asumed you meant a teen, sorry.
a small child in a top like that is yuck.
as for the pants, I was just curious as have never seen dora pants(dd is 13 and has sn so we have missed that)

differentID Sun 21-Sep-08 18:08:06

Most Dora the Explorer stuff has things like "let's explore" or "adorable" on them. Nothing sinister about that, given that Dora does Explore.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sun 21-Sep-08 18:09:55

But even for a teen a top that says Bitch is a bit hmm surely?

imananny Sun 21-Sep-08 18:17:05

2shoes yes they do have pic of dora - and yes she does explore, hence why i never thought anything of it tbh

ebay sell lots of them if you want a peep

babblington Sun 21-Sep-08 18:19:48

my 4 year old daughters Cinderella pants say 'more precious than gold' on them which made me rather hmm, but perhaps I'm reading too much into it too!

ethanchristopher Sun 21-Sep-08 18:22:30

Umlella- are you saying i'm a pedo then???

no i know that its not intentional and i am reading too much into it. i just found it a bit shocking that somewhere down the marketing line someone didnt go - hang on cant this be read the wrong way? i wouldnt have noticed if it was on a top or something

and the book too

i was mainly having a moan about the top but still

and the pants had the dora frog on them

loobeylou Sun 21-Sep-08 18:30:39

I have seen trainer bra/knickers aimed at age10-11 with little miss naughty on, thought this was also inappropriate

I also have a problem with a lot of boys stuff - why does it all seem to be violent and aggressive mottos/pics once they are 5+

Umlellala Sun 21-Sep-08 18:50:47

<shouts PEDO PEDO PEDO while pointing at ethanchristopher>

No, it's just that I think little children should be allowed to wear bikinis/pants/dressing-up clothes/nothing at all without it being seen as if they are a sexual object. IMO if I see a naked child in a sexual way, it is my interpretation - so just as it isn't the woman wearing a mini-skirt that causes the rapist to rape.

If you see what I mean...

ethanchristopher Sun 21-Sep-08 19:02:04

well i am a little bit offended. i know what you mean but i do have a 19th month old son and i am still a kid myself.

kids should be allowed to wear what they want e.t.c and we need to preserve their innocence because they certainly dont get the second side to it. it just took me a lil by suprise

imananny Sun 21-Sep-08 19:05:40

the children are innocent,unfort its the peods and perverts about who read what their t shirts say and get their thrills and then start thinking pervy thoughts

its sad that a child cant wear some knickers saying , lets explore,without people thinking the worst

where as a t shirt staing bitch, or spank me etc shouldnt be worn by a child - but if by an adult, well thats another matter grin

HonoriaGlossop Sun 21-Sep-08 19:06:44

the t shirt is horrible and certainly inappropriate.

The first two things you mention, it's just totally surprising to me that you even flip that in your head to think that the remarks could be interpreted a different way. It wouldn't cross my mind in a million years that there was anything that could even be miscontrued about those things.

ethanchristopher Sun 21-Sep-08 19:07:31

okay im a bit worried now

im not a pedo

thats not what i meant

i think im kind of being a bit over-cautious that pedo's and that would look at that and get thrills

Umlellala Sun 21-Sep-08 19:08:35

FWIW I hate slogans of any kind on kids clothes because as you imply, they often don't even know what it says so yes, who is that slogan for? (so I suppose there is a point there...)

I do think the meeja has a big part to play in seeing paedophiles round every corner. I very much doubt anyone has been persuaded to act on paedophilic urges because a child's pants said something mildly suggestive.

nickytwotimes Sun 21-Sep-08 19:10:09

Umlellela, I think that comment was a bit inappropriate, even in jest!

I agree re the tee shirt. The book and trousers were innocent.

nickytwotimes Sun 21-Sep-08 19:10:48

I mean the pointing post, obv.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now