Talk

Advanced search

thinking that rain will not melt my children?

(29 Posts)
SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sun 21-Sep-08 00:05:32

or cause them any major damage?

the reason i aks is i have applied for a job in a place i used to work so chances are im going to at least get an interview. thing is its full time hours, not really what i was looking for, so will mean 5 night out of seven, 5pm till midnight. dd1 dances from 4 till 5 3 nights a week.

dh asks what are going to with the dds? my answer: "ill drop dd1 off at dancing and walk dd2 to my work place you will collect her off me and go and get dd1 from dancing"

apparently this is not feasable incase of bad weather. i cannot possibly walk my children all that <20 mins there and 20 mins back> if its raining. and what are work going to think when i turn up looking "pissed on" its not v professional. i have a winter coat with a hood and umbrellas.

im going to make dd2 ill. walking her all that way in the rain and wind and snow!!!! i thought it was bacteria and virus' that made you ill not rain? dd2 has a rain cover, she has a quinny cosy thing that looks like a thermal sleeping and she will have a snowsuit. i dont think she will feel much of the cold.

i know i am not being unreasonable. so help me prove to dh that bad weather is not dangerous to the dds and i am not "imbalanced" hmm

shabster Sun 21-Sep-08 00:07:48

I can honestly say, and I live in Lancashire well known for having LOADS of rain, that everyone will be just fine. grin

Although I am only 4ft 11inches and Im sure I used to be well over 5ft!! grin

Saturn74 Sun 21-Sep-08 00:08:01

Get them nice wellies and a brolly each, they'll love it.
Your DH might melt though! wink

Plonker Sun 21-Sep-08 00:08:18

YANBU - they won't melt ffs! Tell him to get a grip!

Good luck with the job btw

shabster Sun 21-Sep-08 00:08:51

Although I suspect that Im very UNBALANCED!!! In fact - quite barking mad!!

S1ur Sun 21-Sep-08 00:08:59

Hmm well I don't know.. It depends...

Are they made of paper?

grin

shabster Sun 21-Sep-08 00:09:53

I feel that Slur makes a good point LOL!

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sun 21-Sep-08 00:10:23

well last time i checked slur they were skin and bone. maybe they have somehow morhped into paper and this is why dh is concerned? grin

Ellbell Sun 21-Sep-08 00:11:08

Do you think it's really the rain he's worried about, or is it something else (e.g. too much hassle for him to detour to pick up the dds, doesn't really want you to work full-time hours, doesn't want you to do that particular job, etc.)?

I grew up in a very wet part of the country too (West Cornwall) and I am a great believer in the saying 'it's only a drop of water'! I've heard my dds say it to other children who make a fuss about going out in the rain grin.

Your dds will be fine and even you do occasionally turn up at work looking a bit wet no-one will 'think' anything, other than 'crappy weather today'! You will not make your dd ill. If anything you will make her hardy!

Ellbell Sun 21-Sep-08 00:13:52

These coats are really good. These and wellies will keep your dds totally dry. And the hoods are big enough for a woolly hat underneath in winter.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sun 21-Sep-08 00:15:40

well the main reason i am looking for a job is to fund dd1's obsession with after school acivities <i was deprived of these as a child, my mother didn't believe in them hmm>

i think he is genuinely concerned due to mils mollycoddling of him. though i suspect most of his concern is or himself. he says if i make friends with the new neighbours <we are moving soon> he will happily get on the bus, collect dd1 from dancing and then collect dd2 from the warmth of the neighbours house.

shabster Sun 21-Sep-08 00:21:24

I want one of those fancy coats - do they make them in a short, fat, Dawn French style size? Would like a green one - my fav colour!

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sun 21-Sep-08 00:47:33

i have just checked with dh and the children are not made from paper. but they will catch their death hmm hmm hmm

S1ur Sun 21-Sep-08 00:52:13

Shit has death gone all round and bouncy?

<eyes the skies nervously>

Tortington Sun 21-Sep-08 00:52:59

your dh is being a twat =kick him in the majo and tell him not to be so friggin redic

expatinscotland Sun 21-Sep-08 00:58:11

you'd never get anywhere if you didn't go out in bad weather in scotland.

what doesn't kill you just makes you tougher.

giraffescantdancethetango Sun 21-Sep-08 01:13:46

I live in bonnie scotland...if you dont go out when it rains - you dont go out at all!!!

In Scotland, there is no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes. - Billy Connelly

TheInvisibleManDidIt Sun 21-Sep-08 01:21:18

My dc quite often play out in the rain.

I'm in scotland too, and if I was to always keep them in when in rained the poor things would never get out atall!!

It can't hurt them, it won't make them ill, at the very least you'll have some wet, happy (and hopefully exhausted from jumping in puddles) children. Ffs, tell your dh to lighten up and let them enjoy being kids.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sun 21-Sep-08 01:26:51

oh he likes billy connelly ill have to qoute that to him in the morning. he has gone to bed in a mood over my bad parenting skills.

dd1 wanted to go to bed as a 'night time fairy' in her dress up costume and i let her. he made her take it off when he noticed. she went hysterical. she is now a night time fairy again and peacefully dreaming. he has yet to learn 'pick your battles'

bloody mils. i blame all of this on mollycoddling!

thumbwitch Sun 21-Sep-08 01:39:37

do you think he really believes that little girls are made of sugar and spice etc and will therefore dissolve in the rain? Perhaps he still believes in the tooth fairy and Santa as well? Check his back for snails and puppy dog tails when you go to bed - or you could point out that they don't dissolve in the bath...

Alambil Sun 21-Sep-08 01:40:47

SSSS - my mother used to walk 7 miles to school in snow up to her knees when she was 4/5/6 (walked with older sisters) - she's still here in perfect health..!

Your DH is barmy

geordieminx Sun 21-Sep-08 07:02:43

I took ds 17 months to the park on friday afternoon - the previous week it was packed - this week - same time there wasnt a single prent/child there, as it was drizzling .Ds had a riot, went down the slide (even though it was wet) and spent 20 minutes jumping and crawling through puddles hmm.

Stripped him before I put him back in the car, and he was dry by the time we got home!!! Wow eh? wink

vjg13 Sun 21-Sep-08 07:36:01

Is it really just an excuse because he doesn't fancy you working or a major change in routine?

compo Sun 21-Sep-08 07:40:15

tbh they might rather have you around in the evenings after school than these after school ctivities
plus with your dh giving up takeaways every other night surely he can pay for such activities with that money grin

LittleBella Sun 21-Sep-08 07:51:22

God I hate people who think they can't go out in the rain. It's that kind of attitude that has added to the insane car culture we've got and ensured that a large proportion of children who should be getting wet in the rain, get obese instead.

I suspect that it's your DH being lazy tbh. He can't possibly really think that human beings aren't adapted for survival in the rain, can he?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now