Talk

Advanced search

Breach of Confidentiality

(18 Posts)
RainbowMeg Fri 19-Sep-08 21:08:58

Today I have received another child's confidential form.

It lists - Name, Address, Phone Number, DOB, Emergency Contacts, Religion, Ethicity, If you have freeschool meals, Dietary Needs, Medical Conditions, Dr's Name etc etc.

On checking with a few friends in my daughters class, they too have all received another's child's form.

AIBU to be livid - No idea who has mine and don't particularly want our business / personal information being broadcast to the school.

So much for Data Protection.

Sidge Fri 19-Sep-08 21:10:41

That is appalling.

I would be fuming.

I would be queueing up outside the Head's door at 0845 on Monday morning.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Fri 19-Sep-08 21:13:29

Agree with Sidge. I would be furious too. YANBU. and would definitely complain to school. How on earth have they managed to mix up everyone's form? One or two perhaps (and even that, given the content, would be annoying enough).

DCsnatchsunhill Fri 19-Sep-08 21:15:17

Absolutely. Here in Oz, an establshment can be fined for breaching confidentiality. If I did it as part of my work, I would be fined $6000.

YANBU

onepieceoflollipop Fri 19-Sep-08 21:15:45

That is out of order. It almost sounds as if someone has done this deliberately. One or two (possibly) could be put down to an unfortunate error (although still unacceptable imo)

StewiesMom Fri 19-Sep-08 21:18:58

Message withdrawn

snickersnack Fri 19-Sep-08 21:41:32

That is very very bad. No way should you be in possession of someone else's private data (and nor should they be in possession of yours). Definitely a complaint to the Head in order. And possibly OFSTED too?

chipmonkey Fri 19-Sep-08 22:13:58

How did they mix them all up?

RainbowMeg Fri 19-Sep-08 22:23:35

Junior School : Arrived home in book bag with reading book and other letters.

Don't know who put them in there - Not given out individually to each child.

Am assuming that Teacher or TA thought they were all blank and chucked them randomnly into the bags..

But still, I think it is not good enough. Someone knew they were personalised and someone should have communicated / ensured that they reached the right families.

Am so upset to think that anyone could have personal info re my child. We all know how the playground works and people love to gossip... It is not right for other people to have info about your family when it was given in good faith to the school.

I can't believe the school have been so careless.....

SlartyBartFast Fri 19-Sep-08 22:26:10

can't understand all this overreaction tbh. as rainbow says, perhaps they thought the forms were blank. what would you do with the info? nothing. what have you got to hide? nothing i imagine.
a mistake.

SlartyBartFast Fri 19-Sep-08 22:30:49

oh, op is rainbow, well - you assumed they thought they were blank. it was a msitake, and the information wasnt that intimate was it?

milge Fri 19-Sep-08 22:35:04

Queuing up outside the head's office isn't going to undo it. It is probably a case of human error. yes it shouldn't have happened, yes the head will give a bollocking to the person who put them in the bags without checking.

RainbowMeg Fri 19-Sep-08 22:36:51

Guess it depends on your situation..

Not about to broadcast our situation on the internet but not everyone wants everyone else to know their Business : Eg. entitlement to free school meals, their complex family arrangements / residency / contact with ex partners etc..

Also medical condtitions - Could be kids with all sorts that the general public don't need to know (Many people are prejudiced against kids with HIV or Hepatitis etc)

Not everyone is discreet and although I can see it probably is a huge mistake it still makes me livid as it could have huge implications....Maybe I'm just over reacting...

RainbowMeg Fri 19-Sep-08 22:36:57

Guess it depends on your situation..

Not about to broadcast our situation on the internet but not everyone wants everyone else to know their Business : Eg. entitlement to free school meals, their complex family arrangements / residency / contact with ex partners etc..

Also medical condtitions - Could be kids with all sorts that the general public don't need to know (Many people are prejudiced against kids with HIV or Hepatitis etc)

Not everyone is discreet and although I can see it probably is a huge mistake it still makes me livid as it could have huge implications....Maybe I'm just over reacting...

ethanchristopher Fri 19-Sep-08 22:42:30

conmplain to the school!

SlartyBartFast Fri 19-Sep-08 22:49:10

i spose, at least yours should only go to one person though, not the whole class.
hadnt thought about medical side of things.
and free school meals, well you can sort of work those out, i remember my ds saying he wanted a red ticket too, like his friend,,, i.e. he was elible for free school meals and had a red ticket!

Sidge Fri 19-Sep-08 22:57:43

No queueing outside the Head's door won't undo it but it will reinforce just how unacceptable this is.

I wouldn't want complete strangers having my name, address, phone number, DOB, child's medical information etc. It would be like your doctor's surgery giving another patient all the details from your registration records summary.

StewiesMom Sat 20-Sep-08 11:48:50

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now