Talk

Advanced search

to get a job, just so i can get maternity leave and pay

(188 Posts)
doyouthinkthisisok Fri 19-Sep-08 20:24:05

or do you think its fair enough, you've paid in for years and your only claiming what you are entitled to, or do you think its a bit off?

my dd is 17 months old and we have decided to try for another i am a sahm at the moment.
perhaps i should of gone back to my old job, 5 months ago?
the extra money we would get from mat leave would make it some much easier for us.
of course if i got a job next week, i have no idea how long it would take to get pg

Sidge Fri 19-Sep-08 20:26:09

Hmm. Personally I think that's a bit necky. Especially if you get a job with a small employer who then has to fill the gap for 6-12 months.

But then you could be there for some time if you don't get pregnant quickly.

expatinscotland Fri 19-Sep-08 20:27:13

yeah, i think it's a bit off.

that's why a lot of employers don't like to hire women of childbearing age. and i can't say i entirely blame them. and that can really suck for women like me who needed to work in order to live, not to just seek to take advantage because i'm 'entitled' to it. hmm.

everybody pays into the system if they work.

findtheriver Fri 19-Sep-08 20:31:42

It's taking the piss. If you don't want to work, then don't get a job.

doyouthinkthisisok Fri 19-Sep-08 20:32:17

do you think i would be less off if i went back to my previous employer?

LaDiDaDi Fri 19-Sep-08 20:32:19

Agree with expat.

You should have gone back to work after dd1 or budgeted to be a sahm imo.

LaDiDaDi Fri 19-Sep-08 20:32:41

Agree with expat.

You should have gone back to work after dd1 or budgeted to be a sahm imo.

LaDiDaDi Fri 19-Sep-08 20:33:10

Oops

expatinscotland Fri 19-Sep-08 20:35:21

no, why would it be less 'off' just because it's a former employer?

also it could seriously backfire and cause you problems when you really want or need to go back and not just to get maternity leave.

if i were your employer i'd be seriously miffed, tbh, feel taken advantage of, and when you needed a reference later on i'd be less apt to go the extra mile.

people remember when someone's pulled a fast one on them.

hughjarssss Fri 19-Sep-08 20:36:47

Morally its wrong I suppose.

But its probably no worse than the thousands of able people who sit on the dole and never pay a penny in tax or income tax.

If it makes you feel any better I would return to work in your position.

mazzystar Fri 19-Sep-08 20:36:49

actually, if you are prepared to work hard and do a good job then I think it's fair enough. You might be in post a year, 18months. Many temp contracts are lots shorter. Many peope take jobs short term as leg up or way in, so as long as you are conscientious when you are there, what's the problem?

doyouthinkthisisok Fri 19-Sep-08 20:37:01

do you think if i had of gone back to work 5 months ago and was trying to get pg now that would be off too?

mazzystar Fri 19-Sep-08 20:37:03

actually, if you are prepared to work hard and do a good job then I think it's fair enough. You might be in post a year, 18months. Many temp contracts are lots shorter. Many peope take jobs short term as leg up or way in, so as long as you are conscientious when you are there, what's the problem?

masalachameleon Fri 19-Sep-08 20:37:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mazzystar Fri 19-Sep-08 20:37:13

mazzystar Fri 19-Sep-08 20:37:36

doyouthinkthisisok Fri 19-Sep-08 20:38:18

if i take a short term contract would i get smp?

expatinscotland Fri 19-Sep-08 20:41:21

you might get smp or ma (maternity allowance).

doyouthinkthisisok Fri 19-Sep-08 20:42:02

but it won't be the employers that pay my smp will it? it will be the govermnt won't it?
fair enough i know they would need to get cover etc

doyouthinkthisisok Fri 19-Sep-08 20:43:14

say i only worked one day a week and earnt 60 a day would that not mean i earnt enough anyway to claim anything?

findtheriver Fri 19-Sep-08 20:44:47

Government = tax payers. And as a tax payer, I'd be pretty pissed off to think people might take a job only to milk it for maternity benefits. If your goal is to stay at home and not work, then find a way to do it. Don't use the taxpayer to do it for you.

expatinscotland Fri 19-Sep-08 20:47:37

the employers will need to find someone to cover your job, possibly train them, get them used to the work, advertise the job, spend time interviewing, etc.

it's seriously not on to go back to work when you don't really want to or need to just so you can milk the taxpayer.

like i said, it makes it harder for all women of childbearing age, even those who never want or can't have children or who have finished childbearing, to be taken seriously once an employer's been burned by someone who goes into it for reasons like yours.

not cool.

at all.

doyouthinkthisisok Fri 19-Sep-08 20:49:36

so what do you think if i had of gone back to work 5 months aago and was pg now?
would that still be out of order in your eyes?

expatinscotland Fri 19-Sep-08 20:52:10

what difference does it make?

you stated in your OP that you're only looking to go back so you can get paid for the 'extra money' to 'make it easier' and that it's all good because you're 'entitled' as you paid into the system.

you'd be going back solely to take the piss and that's not cool because everytime someone does that, someone else who really needs the work, not just to make it easier on them, gets lumped into the same category.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 19-Sep-08 20:54:17

If you work temporary short term contracts but make sure you pay NI contributions then you will be entitled to Maternity Allownace. There is no 90% for six weeks with that, and the most you can get is the same as the basic SMP, but depending on how much you earn in the temp job it could be less.

It's a moral question that you have to answer yourself I'm afraid, but as I was signed off sick with depression between my maternity leave periods so never went back at all but am still getting the basic element of SMP on this my second ML, I'm not sure I'm in a position to judge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now