To think my DD is not "abnormal" because she prefers satsumas to biscuits

(25 Posts)
dilemma456 Fri 19-Sep-08 18:10:00

Message withdrawn

dilemma456 Fri 19-Sep-08 18:12:18

Message withdrawn

CaptainStellaMaris Fri 19-Sep-08 18:12:29

She was probably jealous grin
My DD1 is like this and always has been - prefers an apple to a bar of chocolate any day. Sadly, her two younger sisters do not follow her example.

MrsMattie Fri 19-Sep-08 18:13:09

LOL@'abnormal' / ;social problems'. She sounds barmy. Ignore her.

my Ds loves biccies, choccies and cake, but would happily choose a banana over any sweets every time.

shinyshoes Fri 19-Sep-08 18:14:00

My youngest was like this, I had a smugness about me when he'd pick fruit over biscuits.

He chooses biscuits now.

Nothing abnormal about it

Lauriefairycake Fri 19-Sep-08 18:14:35

Yes, it is abnormal to prefer satsumas to biscuits as in 'against the norm'.

her subsequent statement then indicated there was something 'wrong' with being abnormal in this regard and blamed you for her choice.

She is a twat grin

lovecat Fri 19-Sep-08 18:14:36

YANBU - I got the same at a McDonalds party the other month - DD doesn't actually like Fruit Shoots, or milk, or fizzy pop (MIL has tried it on herhmm) and will rarely drink OJ - she LOVES water, and asked for it.

I was made to feel like a joyless freak denying my child by the other parents....

TheInvisibleManDidIt Fri 19-Sep-08 18:16:16

ds1 loves cherry tomotoes and will always eat them rather than sweets or biscuits.

Ignore the crazy jealous mother. grin

Bumblelion Fri 19-Sep-08 18:16:29

My son, now nearly 12, will always prefer cucumber/raw red pepper to anything else on offer. His favourite dinner is a 'fruit' salad with chopped cucumber, pepper, banana, strawberries, etc.

That is not to say that he doesn't have crisps (although doesn't really like them) or biscuits (again, not that often) but he loves sweets.

Unfortunately, my two girls (one older, one younger) do not follow suit.

Yanda Fri 19-Sep-08 18:17:03

lol, my DD does things like this too, she loves fruit. YANBU, did that woman have her judgy pants on or what? How dare she criticise your parenting whatever the reason was your DD chose a satsuma!

thebutlerdidit Fri 19-Sep-08 18:18:35

The woman obviously has social problems. Very rude to call someones child abnormal and then tell them to chill out. Its abnormal to not like biscuits at all but not abnormal to choose a satsuma.

LouMacca Fri 19-Sep-08 18:18:59

Obvious case of jealousy. Abnormal? fgs!

My DD prefers fruit to biscuits too. Her brother is only too happy to have her share of biscuits smile

SpookyMadMummy Fri 19-Sep-08 18:20:12

My DD1 will eat an entire bag of grapes if I let her, before even looking at sweets/choc.

I think this woman is barmy.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 19-Sep-08 18:21:15

when dd1 was about three
"eat your pink custard darling" <i had turned it pink with pureed strawberries to encourage her to eat>
"whats that in your snadwhich?"
"beef"
"no the green stuff"
"fresh spinache"
"ill have that instead of custard please"

on walking into morrisons

"you can pick two things" <friend expects her to rush to sweet/cake ilse and starts heading that way>
"where are the grapes? those big yellow things are melons? ill have one of them"

so no YANBU grin

notsoteenagemum Fri 19-Sep-08 18:22:16

That would have wound me up, I hate it when people think children only like unhealthy food. DD ha never liked chips she likes loads of food 'healthy' and 'not so healthy' and we had this all the time.
I always want to think of a smug comment in this situation but never can until two days later.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 19-Sep-08 18:23:37

oh and dd is now 5 with no social problems. she is very bright and confident. and now asks if she can go to the fruit shop on the way home from school. the fruit shop is next door to the sweet filled newsagents.

mazzystar Fri 19-Sep-08 18:43:13

fruit is sweet, grapes and satsumas are sweeter than biscuits, so lots of kids prefer them

the other mum was projecting her own insecurites on to you, let it bother you not one iota

noonki Fri 19-Sep-08 19:01:14

my mum gave my DSS free rein with a little shopping trolley in Asda's when he was 4.
He chose: cherry tomatos, red peppers, cheese and bananas. My mum made him put some chocolate in too !

so YANBU

BouncingTurtle Fri 19-Sep-08 19:16:31

What a freak!!

The other mum I mean! Honestly the things some mums come out with! She sounds like a nutjob!

squilly Sat 20-Sep-08 16:52:40

My dd has some eating issues, mostly limited range rather than anything more serious, and has been called a freak for wanting plain pasta, carrot, cucumber and bread for tea. That now seems to be the favourite meal kids ask for when they come to play and yet now, it's not freaky for some reason, just expected fussiness!!

DD didn't eat many sweets when she was younger and I felt torn between concern for limited diet and smugness for her not wanting sweets or o.j. or similar 'unhealthy' things.

Now she's 7. Her range is similar to most kids (ie she's fussy but not ridiculously so). And she's drinking coke/lemonade/orange squash when offered. And she'll take sweets over fruit now too.

My smugness is gone

But your daughter is probably a million miles away from being a freak, unlike the eejit who made this comment in the first place.

StayFrosty Sat 20-Sep-08 17:09:26

imo casually calling young children 'abnormal' and gleefully predicting dire social problems in their not so bright future is appallingly, disgustingly, inexcusably bang out of order, no matter what behaviour it is in response to (never mind in response to choosing to eat yummy satsumas lol). I would have given her a Margot Leadbetter deathstare and a glacial 'how rude', personally.

savoycabbage Sat 20-Sep-08 17:16:43

My dd would have done that too. She is not that fond of sweet things and will eat anything. But I do feel like a smug cow if I have to say that to anyone. That's just the way she is though.

chipmunkswhereareyou Sat 20-Sep-08 17:55:48

How incredibly rude! What is she on?

I know quite a few kids who love fruit - ds costs me a fortune in fresh fruit and it would be a lot cheaper if he always wanted biscuits but I'm delighted he likes it so much (and veg too).

daizydoo Sat 20-Sep-08 18:16:47

A family member told my DH that our DS would socially disadvantaged as he prefers fruit and veg rather than sweets, he was only a year old at the time!!! hmm

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sat 20-Sep-08 18:19:30

lol. some people are odd with the comments they make.
my dd has always been a "healthy" eater, she loves fruits and vegetables, and will ask for more peas / carrots etc (she'll be three in October).
People look at me and think I'm not letting her eat biscuits etc, truth is, she just prefers everything else.
No doubt when we have another, they'll be a sugar fiend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now