Talk

Advanced search

to think a waiting list of three months for a hearing test is too long?

(11 Posts)
helpfulornot Fri 19-Sep-08 14:16:55

I have concerns about DS's hearing, and think he should have a test. I rang our local clinic this morning to see how long their waiting list, and was told it's three months.

AIBU to think this is way too long when a child is supposed to be learning and developing so much?

LadyOfWaffle Fri 19-Sep-08 14:18:39

How old?

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 19-Sep-08 14:21:33

Message withdrawn

CaptainUnderpants Fri 19-Sep-08 14:21:37

It is unacceptable but that is NHS , once he has a hearing test and if a problem is identified he will wait another 3 or more months to see a consultant.

If able, pay privately for a hearing test.

PrettyCandles Fri 19-Sep-08 14:21:49

Any waiting list is too long, really, but OTOH it's a fact of life with the NHS. As long as you and his teachers are aware of possible hearing problems, and make sure to modify your and their behaviour to ensure that he hears and understands, then the wait shouldn't have too bad an impact.

In any case, when you try to get the appointment you may be pleasantly surprised - I was!

Bubbaloo Fri 19-Sep-08 14:30:19

You could try and see if they have any cancellations but that could be very short notice which isn't always helpful.
Ds2 saw the health visitor 2 weeks ago and because he only says one word at 17 months,she wanted him to have a hearing test,even though I'm not in the least bit worried.Anyway,he had his test last week so only had to wait a week which was very quick,but I guess it also depends on how busy your health authority is.
How old is your ds?

misselizabethbennett Fri 19-Sep-08 14:31:21

Have you taken him to the GP? There will be initial tests they can do there and then. How concerned is the GP?

As to whether 3 months is unreasonable - it depends on the age of the child, how serious you think the problem is, whether you think it's preventing normal development, etc.

Out of interest, why are you concerned?

helpfulornot Fri 19-Sep-08 14:39:03

He's four, his speech is good, but his behaviour at school is not. He seems to selectively hear at home, the teachers are happy with his one on one work, but three days out of four this week he has hurt other children (purposefully and unprovoked). He is already getting excluded from activities. I want to know as soon as possible if there is a physical or medical reason for his school problems, and knowing that hearing difficulties can caused behavioural problems I want it ruled in or out.

I haven't taken him to a GP yet, was due to this afternoon but when told there was a three month waiting list I thought I'd investigate other options (yes private). Needless to say it is MUCH quicker, I could have him tested, and see the consultant, next Wednesday if we went private.....

If it were for me, I'd be "happy" waiting three months, but for all these children, having to wait such a big proportion of their lives (obviously talking about much younger children now), it is crazy.

bumpybecky Fri 19-Sep-08 14:42:27

go and see the GP - it might be wax rather than anything actually inside the ear. If it's wax, it can be much easier and faster to deal with.

helpfulornot Fri 19-Sep-08 15:01:29

Becky thank you, sometimes I really need things spelt out for me!

I have a normal GP's appointment on Monday which means he has to miss no school and I still have time to cancel the other appointment...

(Wax hadn't even crossed my mind!)

2beornot2be Fri 19-Sep-08 16:06:26

helpfulornot my friends little girl has needed gromits in her ears since she was 3 she has just had them put in she is now 6

and the difference in her behaviour is remarkable she does not shout she is hears everything I would go your GP if I was you and get him checked out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now