Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed with DP for 'lending' our new sofa to his brother for 8 weeks?!

(15 Posts)
MildWest Fri 19-Sep-08 12:28:52

So, we have 2 lovely (new!) sofas in our lounge, which we spent months looking for. We also have a sofa in our kithen/diner which i collapse onto daily. First baby due in late November, and it's taken us almost a year to get the house up together, where everything works and has it's place iyswim.
So, DP tells me on Wednesday that he's agreed to lend a sofa to his brother 'for a month'. Said brother has just ordered some new sofas, but silly boy sold their old ones, and the buyer wants to collect asap, leaving them sofa less. Without asking me, DP agreed to lend them a sofa for 4 weeks. I, not amused, said I'd be surprised if it's just 4 weeks, but he assured me it was. Turns out today it will be 8 weeks, so literally just before the baby's due, if sofa delivery and baby arrival go to plan!
Am chiefly annoyed because a) DP didn't talk to me about it first and b) it's taken ages to get the house up together. I know we have 3 sofas and can probably spare one, but it will be annoying and the house will be lacking plus new baby on the way will means visitors have to sit on floor! Am i being terribly selfish?! Oh dear.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Fri 19-Sep-08 12:30:30

YANBU He should have at least asked if you minded.

Chequers Fri 19-Sep-08 12:30:45

Get him to ask for one on freecycle.

constancereader Fri 19-Sep-08 12:31:52

this would really piss me off

tell his brother to look in the free ads and buy a very cheap one to tide him over.

hertsnessex Fri 19-Sep-08 12:32:49

his brothers a tit for selling other ones too soon. tell him to bring in a garden chair.

hanaflower Fri 19-Sep-08 12:33:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dittany Fri 19-Sep-08 12:36:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsMuddle Fri 19-Sep-08 12:38:04

If there are only two of you in the house at the moment and you have three sofas, it wouldn't really hurt to lend one to you BIL, would it?

I do think that you DH should have discussed it with you first though.

pgwithnumber3 Fri 19-Sep-08 12:38:16

I would tell your DP where to go, no way would I have my house in disarray because his brother decided to sell his sofas too early. grin

pgwithnumber3 Fri 19-Sep-08 12:38:51

Also he could damage your new one, people don't look after other peoples things as much as their own.

cafebistro Fri 19-Sep-08 12:43:21

Dont lend him a new one. What about the one in your kitchen diner? Its still not on though especially without asking you first. Also I think its pretty cheeky for his brother to ask in the first place!

FairLadyRantALot Fri 19-Sep-08 12:45:05

Freecycle, I say...
or, why does it have to be one of the new sofas? I assume the one you have in the Kitchen isn't a new one...therefore could the brother not have that?

TheProvincialLady Fri 19-Sep-08 12:47:42

Retract the offer of a sofa. Offer instead a set of 3 plastic garden chairs (one leg broken optional).

Your BIL's furniture problems are not yours. What will happen if he damages one? Buy a new one? I doubt it.

MildWest Fri 19-Sep-08 13:05:57

I do feel a bit mean as there are 2 of us and 3 sofas, so we do technically have free seating! But, the one in the kitchen diner i use literally every day, and that room is a lot lighter/airier so am imaging spending time then when on Mat. Leave. Could do some swapping but that would mean new sofa potentially smelling of kitchens! Grr. Will make it plain sofa has to be back BEFORE baby arrives. It's the lack of planning (and cheek!) that has annoyed me, right in the middle of my nesting and everything! Thanks everyone.

FairLadyRantALot Fri 19-Sep-08 13:08:20

honest, why can't the borhter not ask on Freecycle...here are always sofas, etc...offered...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now