Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to take dd out of school for 6 weeks if

(50 Posts)
badmummygoodmummy Fri 19-Sep-08 11:28:43

ok have name changed as someone at school knows my old sign in name lol.

Have been offered the chance to go to Sweden for 6 weeks paid for but dd in yr 1 of school.

WIBU to take dd out of school for that period and take her, obv would educate her myself during that period to some extent as I am a ex teacher.

What do you think?

hanaflower Fri 19-Sep-08 11:35:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pgwithnumber3 Fri 19-Sep-08 11:37:30

If you are willing to teach her then have a word with her teacher and see what work they will be covering and you can go through it with whilst you were there. Go for it, you only live once. grin

juuule Fri 19-Sep-08 11:37:33

Yanbu. It would be a great experience for her.

Overmydeadbody Fri 19-Sep-08 11:38:45

yanbu

I would do this, in an instant.

Anna8888 Fri 19-Sep-08 11:39:01

Yes, fab experience for both of you. Does your DD write a little? You could suggest she wrote a daily email to her class (with your help) about her experiences - one sentence with a photo would do - so she can stay in touch and the class can benefit from her experience.

MamaG Fri 19-Sep-08 11:40:33

wot everybody else said

kama Fri 19-Sep-08 11:45:40

Message withdrawn

badmummygoodmummy Fri 19-Sep-08 11:49:29

I was expecting loads of messages saying you selfish mummy lol.

Yes DD can write, havent mentioned anything to school yet because head is a nightmare and I am working my way up to that one!

forevercleaning Fri 19-Sep-08 11:56:21

go for it. A wonderful opportunity and experience.

LilRedWG Fri 19-Sep-08 11:57:46

Do it - wonderful life experience. As long as you keep her up-to-date with her class mates, I see no problem.

Lucky you!

PuppyMonkey Fri 19-Sep-08 11:58:18

Course you should do it. What's she going to miss in Year One - quantum physics?? grin

LilRedWG Fri 19-Sep-08 11:58:49

If head is difficult just tell her that you have to go to Sweden and can't leave DD behind (obviously) so can they set some work for you to take to help DD not miss out, etc. etc.

jennifersofia Fri 19-Sep-08 12:02:44

I think it could be a great experience for her, but wouldn't she lose her place?

gladbag Fri 19-Sep-08 12:06:09

I'd say yes in a flash - fantastic experience for both of you. The only thing I would check is if the school will hold open the place for your dd. I only say this as I've worked in a couple of schools where they have been very strict about prolonged absences, and will not authorise or hold a child's place for any longer than the 10 days allowed. And with a waiting list this meant that classes filled immediately. Admittedly this was in areas where many of the children had family living in other countries, and often children would disappear for weeks at a time. It caused havoc. I'm not sure if the ban was a school or local education authority thing - anyway - check!

FairLadyRantALot Fri 19-Sep-08 12:16:00

YANBU...it will be a great experience for her.....
and if you are going to HE for that time, there shouldn't be a problem!

chopchopbusybusy Fri 19-Sep-08 12:21:34

Good advice from gladbag, the school wouldn't have to hold your daughter's place open for her. My DDs primary head teacher had very strong feelings about term time absences and always made it clear that the school would not provide work for children who had term time absences because it created too much extra work for the teachers, so I'd tread carefully there.

I think it sounds like a great opportunity and your DD is likely to get a lot more out of it than six weeks in YR1. Have a word with her - she might surprise you.

ghosty Fri 19-Sep-08 12:23:47

I would and I have done before (not quite as long as 6 weeks but near enough, and obvioulsy not to Sweden). It has not had any negative effect on DS's education whatsoever. It has only given him amazing experiences to remember ... For example, he is the only person in his class to have actually been INSIDE a 900 year old castle, to have visited a Roman Palace (the Aussies, bless them, don't even know who the Romans were wink) and to have been in the House that belonged to one of Henry VIII's wives ... he loved coming back and showing them pictures and talking about it all ...
Go for it!!!!
Don't ask the teacher to give you work for your DD to do though - they hate doing that. Just get her to do a diary/scrap book (put in photos, tickets, postcards etc etc), keep up with her reading and make sure you keep her up to speed with her number facts and she'll be fine.

piratecat Fri 19-Sep-08 12:24:52

wil be interested to see how you go with the head. Will it be classed as official 'time out' or the dreaded unofficial absence, we are going to fine you type thing.

lisad123 Fri 19-Sep-08 12:26:16

i would go, shes only 5 years old and the experience would be so wonderful. I ama firm believer that not everything you need to learn can be taught in class grin

elle23 Fri 19-Sep-08 12:36:08

agree with anna888. great idea. maybe asking the teacher in advance for work to take with you for her to do?

SexyMilf Fri 19-Sep-08 13:28:03

I would def go, the life experience she will get will be fantastic for her, good luck with the head grin

badmummygoodmummy Fri 19-Sep-08 13:48:49

[whispers] not too bothered if they dont hold a place open for her, neither me or dd like the school but no other option at the moment as we came into the area very late in application process.

In fact secretly hoping they give her place up so we can go elsewhere wink

badmummygoodmummy Fri 19-Sep-08 14:04:31

sorry that last post makes no sense, I should add I didnt want dd at that school but at the time it was the only local school with a place for dd as we moved into the area very late in the application process.

Now there are places elsewhere but ex-h hugely objecting to dd moving school (a control thing im sure cause he has never give a damn or provided for her about anything else in her life) BUT if there wasnt a place available at the school when we came back well...

I hadnt actually thought about that until someone posted and not in my decision at all whether to go or not by the way.

So most people think its a good idea?

piratecat Fri 19-Sep-08 14:06:12

def go, sounds great, you should go. so go go go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now