I had a house when I married DH which I sold and we put half the equity into savings and the rest into another house, with the intention of buying a second house to rent out. As we have had problems finding the right tenants (not passing credit checks) we have decided to put of buying another. I have decided that I want to become a HV which will mean one year full time at uni as I am already a nurse. I have 2 dcs 2.8mths and 6mths. I want to start when dd1 is 3.7yrs and dd2 will be 18mths, but it will cost lots in childcare.
AIBU to want to use savings for this instead of another house, my reasoning being that ATM I can't work because the hours are unsociable where I worked before and travelling was a nightmare, especially when DH was away. I think as a HV the hours can be PT so I can do that until dcs are older and then go FT when they get to school iyswim. It will mean a pay rise of 5k.
It would probably cost 700pcm in child care, 3,00 in fees for the course and 500 pcm to live, so about all the savings, however, I also CM so could work doing that until the course starts iyswim. If the tenant stays in then we can get by without my wage. I am on mat leave at the mo, so get mat pay iyswim.
There are 2 jobs advertised locally which are PT so I should get a job.
Also, aren't there way to get the degree , at least partly, funded....?
As for the guilt part...I do understand where you are coming from...when younger I trained as a Nurse, but my registration has lapsed by now....now, I know, it would be quicker and would get me earning quicker if I just paid the return to Nursing course...however, I can NOT see myself back in Nursing...the shifts, the monotomy of working on a ward, the whole stressful environment and all that...so, am going to do a degree in Occupational tehrapy....but this means it will be 3 years till I will be back in teh workforce, not just a few month... I do feel a bit guilty, as it would take pressure of dh if I would earn sooner....BUT....longterm I think it will work better for us, as a family, if I do the OT degree...it will,hopefully, make me happy.... although, right now I am panicking of course...as course starts on Monday.... and no idea how I will manage, lol
1dilemma- yes, I agree tis not the time at the moment to buy, we had just planned to save the money until the right time arises iyswim.
good luck fairlady! I am sure you will be just fine. I also have the registration problem in march next year, so am thinking I can perhaps do some bank work after xmas to keep registered iykwim. I have enough hours over 3 yrs but am not sure if its recent enough as it was jul-nov2006
Thanks for all your wise words Just to give an update, its definately going to happen if I get on a course. We have decided to buy MILs partners house (2 doors from MIL!) I will live there with the DCs, MIL will look after dcs/take to pre-school and saves on chidcare. DH will visit at every oportunity and live in our quarter until the course is completed. We can then rent out the house and I can move with DH to our next posting.
I have sent for an application form and have been told by the lecturer that with the experience I have in a wide variety of areas, I stand a good chance of being successful .
They also said if I apply to the local PCT in the area where I will do the course, that I should get some funding
All in all I can't wait now!!!
DH is being a star and even went into see his mortgage advisor to see if we could afford to buy the house, which he said we should be able to. MIL is jumping up and down with excitement at the prospect of having her DGCs near her and seeing them every day .