Talk

Advanced search

To want to skip a anniversary city-break so I can afford a new coat?

(63 Posts)
discantus Thu 18-Sep-08 11:57:35

Partner and I are coming up to 5 years together. He will be in Rome just before our anniversary on business and has suggested I fly out so we can celebrate it out there as part of a long weekend. We've both been to Rome twice before and seen all the sites, but never together.

There is a new Vivienne Westwood coat out that I am IN LOVE with - a real investment piece! It's so pricey though that I definitely cannot afford both the weekend AND the coat. I missed out on a jacket of hers last winter so really don't want the same to happen again, but AIBU to put the citybreak budget towards the coat?

platypussy Thu 18-Sep-08 12:03:23

YANBU. If you've already been before and are really not bothered then get the coat and maybe suggest going on a different city break to celebrate belatedly when finances allow. You may get a cheap last minute bargain.

lilolilmanchester Thu 18-Sep-08 12:07:08

On the other hand, not sure how happy I'd feel if my DH said he'd rather buy something luxurious and non-essential for himself than join me for a romantic weekend...

Platypussy's suggestion is a good compromise tho. If you go for the coat, make sure you offer an alternative romantic treat as part of the deal.

Heifer Thu 18-Sep-08 13:09:49

YABU.. Exactly how does your DH benefit from you getting a new coat? (unless of course you plan to surprise him by wearing nothing underneath! grin

LoveMyGirls Thu 18-Sep-08 13:15:06

Memories last forever I'd go for the city break.

I'd get the coat when it's in the sale or get a cheaper coat.

mumeeee Thu 18-Sep-08 22:22:55

Yabu.

sunnydelight Fri 19-Sep-08 07:48:25

I can't believe that anyone would prefer a coat to a trip to Rome, no matter how many times they've been. You are undoubtedly a lot better dressed than I am though grin

Onlyjoking Fri 19-Sep-08 07:59:25

the coat won't be hurt of you don't buy it.
i think it is a bit worrying that you would choose the purchasing of a coat over spending time making memories with your partner.
memories never go out of fashion

LazyLinePainterJane Fri 19-Sep-08 08:10:38

I can't believe people in real life refer to clothes as "investment pieces"....hmm

belgo Fri 19-Sep-08 08:12:08

I would never put clothes above travel! Your choice though.

2point4kids Fri 19-Sep-08 08:13:15

YABU
You've agreed to do something for your anniversary and now you want to spend all the money on yourself and do nothing for your anniversary?

If its Rome that is the problem and you dont fancy it as you've been before and your DH is there for work anyway then why dont you use at least some of the money on a break/night out that you'd prefer and still celebrate your anniversary?

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 19-Sep-08 08:35:17

So you're in love with a coat. Are you in love with your partner?

If you're not, then YANBU, just selfish.

If you are, then YABU and this is hurtful behaviour. How would you feel if the tables were turned?

nbee84 Fri 19-Sep-08 08:42:44

Me thinks this is a 'wind up' hmm

belgo Fri 19-Sep-08 08:46:06

I think you should link us to the coat discantus.

discantus Fri 19-Sep-08 10:21:25

Hi 2point4kids - where did I say I didn't want to do anything for our anniversary? We wern't going to go away originally, partner only suggested it as he's just found out he's there on business. I would just prefer to stay in the uk so we can celebrate AND I can get the coat - and he should get a treat for himself too!

BecauseImWorthIt - reading waaaay to much into this! I think he deserves to treat himself too rather than spend that money going somewhere we've both been before...New York would be a different matter!

Belgo here you go
http://www.net-a-porter.com/products/35007

Lauriefairycake Fri 19-Sep-08 10:24:59

if I were you I would buy the coat, it's frickin gorgeous, you clearly really want it, it will last forever, he is there on business and not waiting for you soppily with bloody roses and a puppy dog expression.

belgo Fri 19-Sep-08 10:25:09

Nice coat. I wouldn't put it above a trip to Rome thoughsmile

Helga80 Fri 19-Sep-08 10:25:44

YABU - words fail me a bit.

If you don't want to go to Rome then go somewhere else or do something else together. But to put a coat above a celebration of your life and love together is way too odd in my mind.

But then I don't get why anyone would want to spend over £400 on a coat so I may not be the best person to advise you on this one.

LazyLinePainterJane Fri 19-Sep-08 12:17:40

You missed out on a coat you wanted last winter. So why not save up to get one this year? Or do the same for next year?

Mutt Fri 19-Sep-08 12:22:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 19-Sep-08 12:23:29

Message withdrawn

ComeOVeneer Fri 19-Sep-08 12:26:26

I have a slightly similar dilemma with dh. We need new carpets and sofas, he says we can't afford to get them yet, but is looking at a 2 week safari and luxury beach holiday for our 10th wedding anniversary next year. Whilst I would love that I feel the money would be better spent elsewhere. (I would never spend it on me instead though!)

themildmannneredjanitor Fri 19-Sep-08 12:29:19

that link doesn't show a coat-it shows a frock. unless thats what the kids are wearing to keep warm these days?

PuppyMonkey Fri 19-Sep-08 12:32:25

That coat looks totally shit to me. zzzzzzzzzzz Not worth £400. Go to Rome

themildmannneredjanitor Fri 19-Sep-08 12:33:26

why ca't i see a coat?hmm
someone do me a link that works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now