Talk

Advanced search

To not want random strangers to come to my door to spread a message from the Bible?

(71 Posts)
Bumperlicious Thu 18-Sep-08 10:39:11

Just had someone buzz my doorbell (waking the baby up angry) to "spread a message from the Bible". Am I being unreasonable to not want random people coming uninvited to my house to preach to me?

Whether I am religious or not I just think it is rude to go door to door imposing on people preaching about anything. I told them no and asked them not to come back (they said they come around every three months) so now I feel guilty that I might have offended them. Jeez, I don't need this emotional turmoil before 10.30am!

Overmydeadbody Thu 18-Sep-08 10:41:32

yanbu

Of course it is rude.

nickytwotimes Thu 18-Sep-08 10:42:01

Tis anoying. The JWs think they have an obligation to spread the word. I have a spy hole now!
Shame they woke the baby. I'd have been a bit cross too.

pushchair Thu 18-Sep-08 10:45:35

Completely agree. Also sales phone calls unasked for and waking babies up! Mind you the postman knocking with parcels used to wake mine up and I love pressies. For me it is anything unasked for that is annoying especially when it comes with attatched awkwardness of saying [in essence] shove off.

Bumperlicious Thu 18-Sep-08 10:45:36

Maybe I should go door to door and spread a message about the good of Mumsnet!

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 18-Sep-08 10:47:07

I know it's annoying, but I find it rather touching actually - I might not believe in Hell, but they do, and it's nice to think they don't want me to burn there, isn't it?

TheHedgeWitch Thu 18-Sep-08 10:47:38

Message withdrawn

justabouthadcurry Thu 18-Sep-08 10:49:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bumperlicious Thu 18-Sep-08 10:51:33

Not sure which denomination.

Kathy, do you really think that they care so much that I not burn in hell, or is it just that they want a vindication of their beliefs?

Alambil Thu 18-Sep-08 10:54:11

Most door-knockers believe they have to do it in order to secure their own seat in Heaven, not save your ass from Hell grin

expatinscotland Thu 18-Sep-08 10:55:36

i tell them i'm roman catholic.

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 18-Sep-08 10:55:45

Not sure Bumperlicious. They may also be on commission - I don't know much about JWs. (There, now you're making me all cynical!)

ByTheSea Thu 18-Sep-08 10:55:56

YANBU. I find them annoying too.

MadameCastafiore Thu 18-Sep-08 10:56:50

DH tells them that we worship at Satan's Alter - it makes them laugh and then they start on with the sermon - I tell them we are Roman Catholic and they beat a hasty retreat!

VinegarTits Thu 18-Sep-08 10:57:51

Next time tell them you cant chat, your just in the middle of your daily devil worhshipping session, but they can come in and joing if they like.

casbie Thu 18-Sep-08 10:59:55

i had some JW trying to give me the watchtower...

subject this week?

creationism and how it's the true path (!).

do we discuss this at home? what do we teach our children?

i replyed we are Methodists, very aware of the bible, and we discuss the beginning of the universe all the time (our children are very curious and inquisitive, especially if it means staying up for another five minutes). goodbye.

it annoys me, because it's usually different people coming to the door and yet i give exactly the same answer. you would have thought they would have caught on by now!

expatinscotland Thu 18-Sep-08 10:59:56

i had a fuck buddy friend who had a pentagram sticker on his front door. i was surprised, as i'd thought he was completely without any faith. i said, 'i didn't know you were a pagan'. he replied that he wasn't, he'd put the sticker up there because Bible bashers thought it was a symbol of Satan worshippers and therefore left him in peace.

i nicked hte idea myself .

StewiesMom Thu 18-Sep-08 11:00:10

Message withdrawn

fortyplus Thu 18-Sep-08 11:00:13

Someone at work is a Jehovah's Witness and she said you can phone them to ask not to receive calls. It lasts for about 3 years I think.

CuppaTeaJanice Thu 18-Sep-08 11:00:19

Are there any JWs or similar on Mumsnet who can explain why they cold call and what they hope to achieve from it?

expatinscotland Thu 18-Sep-08 11:00:31

telling them you are a jew also works.

CuppaTeaJanice Thu 18-Sep-08 11:04:21

Actually this just reminded me that one stopped me in the street a few years ago and said 'You're very thin - can I just give you this copy of Watchtower which has an article on ANOREXIA.'angryangryangry

sagacious Thu 18-Sep-08 11:06:32

I had a very creepy lot the other day (all black suits/american accents and sunglasses)
They were mightly offended when I asked them if they were doing an audition piece.

I'm not naturally rude, but they would not shut up so I said "thank you but I'm really not interested" and shut the door

PlebGoober Thu 18-Sep-08 11:07:38

I see who it is, can tell by the hopefull expression, or name badge, then before they even get a chance to say Hello I say very loudly "I'm not interested." and close the door.
And no, YANBU

justabouthadcurry Thu 18-Sep-08 11:09:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now