Talk

Advanced search

in expressing breastmilk for my mother who has cancer

(94 Posts)
weeamoomoo Wed 17-Sep-08 22:10:36

after watching C4 programme last week i thought i'd never forgive myself if i DIDNT do it. but all i know is from that programme. anyone else know anything about it?
she had her first lot today.

LynetteScavo Wed 17-Sep-08 22:12:48

Great idea. It certainly can't hurt her.

How did she feel about drinking it?

Sorry; I'm of no help, but the subject does fascinate me.

ChacunaSonGout Wed 17-Sep-08 22:13:06

how lovely of you - all the best with it

glasgowgal Wed 17-Sep-08 22:13:08

Don't know anything about it but why not? If my mum had cancer I know I would do ANYTHING it took to help her get better. Wishing you both the best of luck.

lilymolly Wed 17-Sep-08 22:13:34

really? where are the proven benefits?
Not sure your being unreasonable, just not sure this is helpful to your mum.
Dont mean to be harsh, but perhaps your efforts could be better utilised in an alternative manner.

Reallytired Wed 17-Sep-08 22:13:48

I am sure that breastmilk won't hurt her, but please don't pin your hopes too high.

I remember reading somewhere that breastmilk is a living substance with live white blood cells. Hopefully the white blood cells will help your mother fight any infection.

I am sorry to hear that your mother has cancer.

frankbestfriend Wed 17-Sep-08 22:14:42

YA absolutely NBU.

I would do anything that had even a remote possibility of being helpful.

I know nothing about it aside from the Kate Garroway thing,but I hope you see positive results, good lucksmile

WilfSell Wed 17-Sep-08 22:15:22

I think you are very reasonable but daft to post such an emotive thing in AIBU. You do what you need to do and it may help her immune system perhaps. Good luck to you both.

Flossish Wed 17-Sep-08 22:16:01

if you and your mother are happy and want to give it a go then who cares what anyone else thinks?

I hope it helps - not sure about the research but I do wonder if we all drank BM whether we'd have much lower cancer rates. After all its what we are born to drink.

cheesesarnie Wed 17-Sep-08 22:16:05

i think if you and your mum want to then nbu at all.infact very nice thing to do-worth a try!

cupsoftea Wed 17-Sep-08 22:16:09

will help her fight off germs in the environment & be easy to digest. What a wonderful thing to do. I hope your mum will be ok xxx

weeamoomoo Wed 17-Sep-08 22:16:16

well i mixed it up with strawberry milkshake powder and plenty of ice and she said it was quite nice. unfortunatly she is at the stage she would do anything if she thought it would help.
thanks for the support.

frankbestfriend Wed 17-Sep-08 22:16:29

OP how did she drink it?

Did you make a breast milk smoothie?

Reallytired Wed 17-Sep-08 22:16:40

See this article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4187697.stm

charchargabor Wed 17-Sep-08 22:17:18

Here's one link, but I can't find the actual study report online. It's a study by Catharina Svanborg from Lund Uni in Sweden.

Flossish Wed 17-Sep-08 22:18:09

I don't think she is daft. She is only being unreasonable if she is forcing her mother to drink her BM - even the more anti BF mn'ers aren't going to oppose a mutual arrangement where there is a small hope of improvement in condition and no risk of harm.

frankbestfriend Wed 17-Sep-08 22:19:10

x posts, weeamoomoo

Sounds quite tastygrin

So sorry for your situation, lots of luck to you and your mum

Flossish Wed 17-Sep-08 22:19:20

what type of cancer does she have weeamoomoo? I'm sorry it sounds as though it is so advanced by your last post. sad

weeamoomoo Wed 17-Sep-08 22:22:28

thanks for link and info, reallytired and charchargabor. this is kind of stuff i'm v. interested in.

susiecutiebananas Wed 17-Sep-08 22:22:43

Lilymolly, tat was unnecessarily harsh actually imo.

I can understand someone wanting to do anything they can to help a loved one.

How is it not helpful to her mum, if they are both sensible about it, and realise there is no "" proven benefits" but there is anecdotal evidence, so surely, worth a go?

where is the proof that it doesn't , anyway ?

I'd also guess that her " efforts are being utilized" in more than just this way...

Your post sounded quite patronizing and utterly putting the kibosh on something that can't do any harm either way.

Ulike the OP, who is trying to be proactive in a situation where I suspect they all feel so out of control.

If it were you mother, are you honestly saying you would not even try if you could? I mean, how many people in her position have a close relative who can give them free, fresh expressed bm?

GOOD LUCK weeamoomoo. ,so sorry your mum is going though this. best of luck, and I would also do the same for my mum, who wouldnt , if they could, hey? GOOD LUCK

charchargabor Wed 17-Sep-08 22:23:29

According to what I have read, it is a protein called alpha-lactalbumin, which when mixed with acid has killed 40 different kinds of tumour cells in a lab. I agree not to pin your hopes too high, but it is definitely good to try. Breastmilk is a wonderful thing, and you are a wonderful person for doing this for your mum.

weeamoomoo Wed 17-Sep-08 22:24:28

non hodgkins lymphoma. not at palliative stage yet. they are hoping to do stem cell harvest and subsequent transplant after more intensive treatment.

susiecutiebananas Wed 17-Sep-08 22:25:06

just to highlight, my last post, the quotes were taken from the post by lillymolly. I was not making any comment about proven benefits myself.

I think its great what you are doing.

cupsoftea Wed 17-Sep-08 22:25:29

thoughts for you all xxx

charchargabor Wed 17-Sep-08 22:26:02

Here's is the abstract for the study. Will look for more. Sorry about your mum. sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: