Talk

Advanced search

to NOT want my DC to go to lots of after school activities?

(88 Posts)
leogirl Wed 17-Sep-08 10:37:24

clinging mother or reasonable?!? I just don't fully understand why there is so much pressure on children going to this and that after school activity. And before everyone starts posting about the social side of it etc, I do get that - but surely even one activity is enough? what do other people's children do?

Alambil Wed 17-Sep-08 10:39:07

DS is nearly 6 and does Beavers - it takes him most of the week to get over the late night!

SlartyBartFast Wed 17-Sep-08 10:39:50

people can go ott in their out of school activities. we never did when we were children that's for sure. what is it all about? sometimes you feel they are not allowed to just chill

although my dd3 is busy, tues, weds, thurs, fri and saturday! and can therefore only have friends round for tea on a monday!
but if it doesnt suit you, you are totally reasonable.

FAQ Wed 17-Sep-08 10:40:26

DS1 has just turned 8 (yesterday) and is (hopefully) going to be doing ICT club (which is lunchtimes - so not strictly "after school", and choir - which is straight after school on a Monday..

Oliveoil Wed 17-Sep-08 10:40:51

mine don't do anything

they used to do dancing on saturday mornings but have decided that don't want to

dd1 has the choice of of football, yoga, violin, dancing and cross country at school and is not interested

they both seem to be tired after school anyway and they like coming home and slobbing out

our school doesn't let reception do after school activities until after the October half term anyway

DaphneMoon Wed 17-Sep-08 10:42:18

Oh Leogirl I could not agree more. My DS has decided this term he does not want to do anything after school he just wants to come home. I have a friend who literally braggs in a moaning kind of way that her DC are out every night doing something. She has kind of hinted that my DS ought to do this or that. She wanted me to take him to Beavers, but he does not want to. I sometimes feel so guilty, all these kids doing after school clubs or going to dancing/gymnastics/horseriding/judo/football etc after school and my DS doesn't. It is I suppose good for their social life, but they get plenty of that at school. He has done football but got bored with that soon after I bought the kit! However, I know he has plenty of friends and is popular.

It seems to me to be a way of showing off for some parents.

NoblesseOblige Wed 17-Sep-08 10:42:42

not so bad so far this term but last year my dcs did something every night between them. some of this was out of school and some of this was organised by school (and so therefore freebies!).

it was all entirely their choice to doo all of these clubs! i did point out that they wouold be v busy but they were mroe than happy. if they are choosing to do the clubs, go with it.

pressure from parents to do clubs - whole different kettle of trouts ...

compo Wed 17-Sep-08 10:43:06

very recent thread listing what some people's dcs on here do

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all
My ds will be going to afterschool 2 days a week from next week as I work those 2 days
Whne he is 5 I'm hoping for him to have swimming lessons
The only thing after that I would consider is Beavers when he's older unles he asks for something specific

Gateau Wed 17-Sep-08 10:46:09

Totally agree, OP.
Some kids, IMO, go to far too many activities. One or two a week is enough, I think.
I think it's usually more about the parents' competitivenss than what the kids want, TBH. What's wrong with letting them be kids, and relax and play at home? They muct be tired after a day at school and probably just want to chill.

DaphneMoon Wed 17-Sep-08 10:47:30

I had not seen that threat Compo. It made me cringe a little tbh. All that bragging about violin lessons etc. Perhaps it is just me!

DaphneMoon Wed 17-Sep-08 10:47:52

threat thread !

SlartyBartFast Wed 17-Sep-08 10:49:33

i pay for rainbows and swimmign lessons,
the rest are after school and church clubs and free, there is no compromise to my other dcs , in fact her clubs suit us, what with their clubs. the timing seems fine.
if they didnt suit, if they were costly and not enjoyable, i would cancel them <<thinking seriously about cancelling swimming - i mean just how long can you go on with lessons? - forever it seems>>

DaphneMoon Wed 17-Sep-08 10:50:22

Forgot to say on my ealier post, this same friend also admitted that due to number of activities her DC's do, they don't always do their reading and sometimes she sends their homework back with "didn't have time" written on it.shock

Hmm let's see now, what's more important education or the ability to tie a knot or build a camp fire - that's a difficult one hmm

SlartyBartFast Wed 17-Sep-08 10:51:06

but it is annoying that they have after school clubs for thigns that they should do in school... crafy club, athletics etc.. but there is no time what with the literacy and numeracy hour and god knows what else they have to do now

fleacircus Wed 17-Sep-08 10:51:28

Was once put to me thus:

At the end of a day at work, would you rather a) attend a seminar on a related topic, recommended by your boss; or b) go home, put your feet up and have a G&T?

sameagain Wed 17-Sep-08 10:52:19

My DS's are busy, Mon/Weds/Fri and I worry that this is too much, then I worry that they miss out if the don't have all the "opportunities"

If they said they didn't want to go, I would stop like a shot, but they seem to enjoy it.

That said, DS1's favourite evening is Tues, which is his only day to actually play with his toys (they're at Mums on a Thurs, as I'm at work)

jellybeans Wed 17-Sep-08 10:52:20

YANBU I think the primary school day is long enough tbh. Mine do out of school stuff like brownies and swimming and older DD does sports clubs but that is enough.

muggglewump Wed 17-Sep-08 10:53:32

DD does Beavers, only since two weeks ago and Country Dancing which started last week. Dancing is straight after school, just for a term and is free.
The Beavers and eventually swimming which will be part of Beavers but on a different night is more than enough for her and tbh me!
I don't want to be in and out dropping off and picking up all the time.

Activities I guess are a good thing, this is our first experience of an out of school one but DD and I both enjoy, and want most evenings to chill out.

NoblesseOblige Wed 17-Sep-08 10:53:45

oh if affectin homework/reading and the like, then put down your size 5s (or whatever hoofsize you take).

but if all that is worrying you is your conscience, then as long are dcs are happy - go with it.

i get most of my reading done when "watching" them swim/point their toes etc grin

fleacircus Wed 17-Sep-08 10:55:29

Also slightly bothers me that the idea that you can stimulate kids to genius has taken hold; am desperately trying to talk MIL down from notion that DD is "extremely bright" before she starts with the flashcards (DD is 8mths, FFS!). Her other GD is 2.5 and "encouraged" to repeat ever more complicated words. Am determinedly planting the belief that DD is a simpleton so she gets left alone!

DaphneMoon Wed 17-Sep-08 10:58:20

I'm with fleacircus grin.

quite right noble, it is up to the child at the end of the day and mine does not want to do any this term. It may change next term and he is lucky in that they go swimming every other Friday in school hours, so that's taken care of! (althougn it isn't free)

mm22bys Wed 17-Sep-08 11:00:50

YANBU, my DS1 is at Reception, and is not picked up till 4pm. He is exhausted by then.

I think it's great if kids can be encouraged from not vegging in front of the TV for hours everyday, but to me part of being a kid was just having fun after school, whether that's doing cooking, running around outside or whatever.

He does swimming at school on a Friday, Saturday he does football and swimming, and Sunday is tennis.

At least it gives him and us a routine on a weekend.

He's only four, and being at school from 9 till 4 is long enough!

FioFio Wed 17-Sep-08 11:04:44

Message withdrawn

tortoiseshell Wed 17-Sep-08 11:07:54

I was always very much 'not too many activities, let them chill out at home'. But ds1 in particular really enjoys what he does, and he does have time to chill out, and get his homework done. He is just 7, and does seem really busy, but enjoys it all.

His 'extra's atm are;

Monday; Violin lesson (in school)
Tuesday; School choir (after school)
Wednesday; School orchestra (in school), gymnastics
Thursday; nothing
Friday; Swimming (school lesson),tennis (at school, but after school time), swimming lesson (non-school)
Saturday; Orchestra

Dd who is 5 does cello lessons on a Monday, and infant school choir on a Thursday, in school time, plus gymnastics on a Wednesday.

tortoiseshell Wed 17-Sep-08 11:08:19

Ds1 also does piano, but I teach him that, so it's not such a 'regular thing out of the house'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now