Talk

Advanced search

I know eastenders is bad already but I do like it although...

(23 Posts)
mamadiva Wed 17-Sep-08 08:58:47

I am thinking of not watching it for a while because this peadophile storyline is a bit too disturbing for my liking.

I know they said they are highlighting the issue but do they really need to be so graphic about the mental side of it too? They obviously don't show anything particularly sexual but I find the mental abuse afflicted on Whitney very disturbing.

2beornot2be Wed 17-Sep-08 09:20:33

Oooooo I think that its good they are showing the mental abuse it makes it easier to understand why Whitney loves him I think Eastenders have done well with this storyline so far

Alambil Wed 17-Sep-08 09:21:57

I prefer it to the murder of Jase!!

I think it's vital to show the grooming behaviour; a LOT of people don't "get" mental abuse. It's good that they're showing how insidious it is

TheUNITUBER Wed 17-Sep-08 09:26:05

I agree that they are doing well with this story - particularly with how they are showing the manipulation that goes on.

For some reason I found the Stella abusing Ben story far more disturbing (maybe because Whitney at least has Pat and Bianca to turn to and Ben only had misreable old Phil, and also maybe because Ben was younger).

OrmIrian Wed 17-Sep-08 09:27:04

God isn't he vile? And the self-pity!

Gateau Wed 17-Sep-08 09:27:42

Depressing shite.
Coronation Street is the only soap worth watching.

CatMandu Wed 17-Sep-08 09:28:59

I stopped watching during the Ben/Stella storyline because I found it too disturbing. Haven't gone back and having read this thread I think I'll stay clear a little longer. I know these issues should be highlighted, but I can't quite reconcile watching this stuff for entertainment.

mamadiva Wed 17-Sep-08 09:41:50

I do really like Easdtenders I have to admit it is my guilty pleasure I have watched it religously since I was about 13 blush

I just can't seem to get into this at all it makes me want to cringe at the thought of it.

I think in a way it is partially because Whitney is such a strong character normally it doesn't really work with her an dsurely something would have been said by now?

Christmas storyline me thinks!!!

Alambil Wed 17-Sep-08 09:50:04

mamadiva - that's why I think it's great they've picked the "streetwise and hard - it couldn't POSSIBLY work on her" character.

Mental abusers can worm their way into ANYone's heads.

I think if they'd picked a naive character, it wouldn't be such a strong message

DaphneMoon Wed 17-Sep-08 09:58:55

I love Eastenders, but have to admit this storyline is really bothering me. He is really creepy and playing the part very well. I would hate to be an actor playing a part like that, it takes a brave one to play the part of a peadophile.

2beornot2be Wed 17-Sep-08 10:00:42

Yeah its true about whitney I feel so sorry for her Tony makes me cringe but I have to keep watching also I heard that when Whitney turns 16 it all spills out as Tony is no longer intreasted in her As she is no longer a child I suppose gross

DaphneMoon Wed 17-Sep-08 10:26:00

I really hope the writers don't start making him turn his attention to Tiffany, I really will not be able to watch then.

mamadiva Wed 17-Sep-08 11:31:31

I suppose you are right about picking a strong character LewisFan.

Daphne that's what I'm waiting on TBH it wouldn't surprise me.

I think tha's where it's leading to with all of this mental abuse with her make up etc perhaps it makes her to grown up for him

I think it's just a horrid storyline I just hope they play it properly and don't turn it into something rediculous IYKWIM.

2beornot2be Wed 17-Sep-08 11:34:25

I think thats what they may do but I hope not I think there would be alot of compliants about it as she is very young (even thou it happens in real life) It really creeped me out when he was kissing bianca and looking at a photo of Whitney I assume as a little girl

PinkyDinkyDooToo Wed 17-Sep-08 11:34:35

It is an awful storyline but they have handled it well so far.

mamadiva Wed 17-Sep-08 11:40:23

Yes 2beornot2be that's the part that got to me most aswell, made me feel sick.

Fimbo Wed 17-Sep-08 11:41:42

Is this paving the way for Bianca to get back with Rickaaayyy?

cheesesarnie Wed 17-Sep-08 11:44:55

ofcourse its a disturbing subject but theyre handling it well imo and highlighting that it does happen.dont spread it round but <is not real-shhhh>you can turn it off.
i heard that the jase murder was very graphic but didnt watch it as dd and ds1 were about.

mamadiva Wed 17-Sep-08 11:48:28

LOL at cheesesarnie. I know I can turn it off but as with other programs I feel the need to watch them. Does anyone else get that where a program disturbs you but you feel guilty turning it off as there are real people going through this and I just switch off because I don't want to watch it.

I was like that with a program about a Bulgarian orphanage, I don't think there was a minute I didn't cry but had to wacth it.

sadandscared Wed 17-Sep-08 11:51:28

mamadiva - I do that too. Especially documentories on sad/disturbing stuff. If I know they're on I choose to not watch. If I accidentally turn one on I feel I can't switch it off as it is cowardly to turn my back on it. If someone has to go through it I should at least have the 'manners' (not quite the right word) to watch.

cheesesarnie Wed 17-Sep-08 11:51:43

i know what you mean,i do and i dont.being aware of these things happening(i dont just mean this story line,you mentioned orphanges,anything that makes you think) and doing something about it (such as making others aware,or helping/donating to a related charity for example)are two different things though.

mamadiva Wed 17-Sep-08 11:54:48

I know I'd love to go and help out in one of these orphanages but I couldn't do it I would be in such a state and TBH I'd want to kill some people I think!

With regards to the storyline I think it is important we are all aware and see how easily it can be done under our noses and not everyone will see the signs.

And yes I do think this will be the start of Biance and Ricky, god help us all

DaphneMoon Wed 17-Sep-08 12:21:01

I agree sometimes you feel that you need to know about these things. As much as Eastenders is a drama, it is pretty powerful and I hope that something is learnt from it.

I really hope Bianca and Ricky get back together. I think he is lovely, he has a dreamy smile blush (bit slow perhaps but loveable with it)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now