Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to sell my car and buy a campervan????

(23 Posts)
ILikeYourSleeves Mon 15-Sep-08 22:09:27

Oooooo I'm so excited! We went caravanning to SILs caravan at the weekend which reawakened our desire for a campervan again. We dropped in on a camper dealer on the way home and fell in love with the idea! We have a DS 10 months so weren't sure if you could get one that would safely transport baby but we've found these well cool vans called Bongos (I love that name ) and we are seriously thinking about it. However, we are also pretty skint and would have to trade in my car (DH would keep his so we'd then have one car and the campervan) and I'd have to use my 'rainy day' savings... But I think it would be brill and life's too short and all that don't you think? Or is it just a dream...

AIBU??????????????????????

StormInanEcup Mon 15-Sep-08 22:20:44

Message withdrawn

TheHedgeWitch Mon 15-Sep-08 22:30:52

Message withdrawn

StayFrosty Tue 16-Sep-08 00:47:07

yanbu, camper is our only vehicle apart from dp's bike, we have a 19 mo and manage just fine and dandy. LOs love the camping, and it's easy to think of it more as an investment cos you get to have low cost, low impact holidays pretty much every time you are a) free to do so and b) it's not pissing down. so i sez go for it smile in fact while you're at it,make sure you get a kick-ass awning as well.

Surfermum Tue 16-Sep-08 10:57:09

Dh has started building VW campers this year and we took one down to Cornwall for our holiday this year to sell .... but we fell in love with it so are keeping it.

It is just SO good. We'd spend evenings sat overlooking a beach somewhere and cooking up curry and rice, or eating fish and chips and playing cards. We could stop in all sorts of places and have a cup of tea.

Weekend camping has been transformed. We have the van packed apart from clothes, so just have to throw a few things in a bag and go. When we get to the site ... well, we just park! No arguing over getting the tent up, pumping up beds, thinking it's all too much work for what is meant to be a weekend away from it all.

I really can't rave about it enough!!

We went to a van festival for the day and it just looked so much fun so we've just booked to go to one in October.

In ours we have 3 seats in the front and 2 in the back with seatbelts. We have a double bed and dd has a little bed in the boot space - which sounds odd, but is really lovely and cosy and she loves it.

StayFrosty Tue 16-Sep-08 11:32:23

VWs are the bollocks wink everyone loves you when you're in a dub. We sleep on the rock n roll and dd sleeps on the bed in the roof space. tis absolutely ace.

SuperSillyus Tue 16-Sep-08 11:43:27

Oh how exciting! Can you get camper vans that fit 4 children?????

katz Tue 16-Sep-08 11:47:47

i want a vx camper, saw one for sale locally for 2500 very very tempted! although nothing about maintaining.

When i get a permanent contract i'm going to start saving for one.

StayFrosty Tue 16-Sep-08 11:49:02

Our VW has a double bed in the roof and another in the back, you can also get hammock thingies that go in the cab space up front. So theoretically you could sleep 4 people in it, or even 4 people and a teeny tiny, but don't know quite how you'd manage in practice, tis v cosy as it is with just us 3. You also need a big f-off awning ime, if you are to keep your sanity.

katz Tue 16-Sep-08 11:56:07

vw even!

jesuswhatnext Tue 16-Sep-08 12:38:47

sounds lovely, i am in the process of trying to fire up dh into buying a vw, im hoping it will appeal to his 'inner surfer dude' grin wish me luck!

trixymalixy Tue 16-Sep-08 12:45:19

YANBU. We are thinking of replacing our second car with a VW T5.

We hired one at the weekend to go to vanfest as our splitty failed its MOT.

While not as good fun as the splitty it did go a lot faster and the bed was very comfy.

We need to replace our second car at some point so we thought it would be a good option for if our splitty was off the road.

Our splitty can sleep four as it has a double bed in the bottom and two bunks in the roof. You can also buy a child hammpck for the cab.

Surfermum, which VW show are you going to in October? I think we are going to go to brighton Breeze.

katz Tue 16-Sep-08 12:47:00

trixy - where did you hire from?

StayFrosty Tue 16-Sep-08 12:52:08

katz I think there might be an MNer or two who have/has a business hiring campers out, try doing a shout out on the camping board.

Trixy, dp keeps saying if we ever win the lottery he is getting us a ratted splitty for daytrippin in, they are just gorge envy.

Surfermum Tue 16-Sep-08 12:54:19

We're going to Oktoberfest in Cheddar trixy.

<<jumps up and down excitedly>>

How was Vanfest? We wanted to go but were too late with booking.

Our T4 is lovely and comfortable. We have a memory foam mattress for our bed. I know I'll get slaughtered for this but the bays and splittys don't really float my boat.

If anyone is seriously looking for one we are about to put one on Ebay and there's another being built now. We take orders too and can custom build them. They're all T4s.

mummy5bellies Tue 16-Sep-08 13:00:37

YAY. We've got a Bongo and it doubles as the family bus. All the seats go flat and the top pops up and we've got a big tent to pitch alongside. kept us all dry during the WETTEST Beautiful Days Festival this year and can thoroughly recommend it x x x Its a thirsty beast, tho, but we don't go too far for our adventures at the moment smile

piratecat Tue 16-Sep-08 13:02:19

my mum and her dh had a bongo, they loved it!!

Guadalupe Tue 16-Sep-08 13:04:56

Campers are great. We keep most stuff in them now so we can go whenever we want without too much hassle.

katz Tue 16-Sep-08 13:06:14

stayfrosty - that good to know, will put a shout out. probably a good idea to try before we buy!

katz Tue 16-Sep-08 13:08:25

i would like either a T1 or a T2, pref a 1977 one, as this is the year both DH and i were born.

trixymalixy Tue 16-Sep-08 13:09:47

Oooh, saw the fliers for Oktoberfest at vanfest.

Vanfest was good apart from the rain on Friday night which made everywhere really muddy and the fact that we took my 9 year old nephew along with us who was an absolute pain and moaned the whole time so we hardly got to see anything!!

We hired from here:

kira

ILikeYourSleeves Tue 16-Sep-08 16:11:15

Oooooooooooo excited! I was out today and was on Bongo alert but couldn't see any on the road although it's funny how many VW's and caravans you see when you are looking!

The more I think about it the more excited I get. Anyone know roughly the MPG? This Thursday has been renamed Bongo Day as we are going a huntin'

Wish me luck!

StayFrosty Tue 16-Sep-08 16:22:50

...good luck grin

this is what i would like if we ever find t25 life getting too cosy btw, i think they look absolutely brill, and they are cheap as chips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now