Talk

Advanced search

To think that dh shouldn't lie on his CV

(16 Posts)
Bettyboobird Mon 15-Sep-08 20:34:45

My dh has just asked me to cast an eye over his CV, as he is about to apply for a new job. Not a problem, I don't mind helping him as I know he finds things like this tricky.

Anyway, I was reading his CV, and thinking-who is this talking about?!

He has lied about his current role, the profile of the company he works for, and he said he has a 2:1 degree. Now, the first two points, fine if he wants to take the risk...but the degree thing has really annoyed me. I worked my socks off to get a 2:1, and he dropped out of uni in his 2nd year.

I gave him a couple of sample questions that I thought might come up in an interview, based on the 'facts' he'd included on his CV, and when he couldn't answer them he got all shirty with me!!

He has now gone off in a strop downstairs with his laptop. I really am behind him in his quest for a new job, but his CV is now so far fetched!

AIBU?

3littlefrogs Mon 15-Sep-08 20:39:36

He will get rumbled. They do check these things.

ByTheSea Mon 15-Sep-08 20:41:15

YANBU. I have known two colleagues who had been at the job awhile who were sacked once the reference-checking process came back to show they had lied about having degrees. This was in the financial services industry. It took a while to check, but they did and once it came out, they were told to leave immediately. It's just not worth it.

thelittlestbadger Mon 15-Sep-08 20:41:16

You're generally asked to provide proof of qualifications if you get offered the job so unless it is working for SurAlan, he should stick to the truth. Also, lying about his current employment might just be rumbled through references and a brief google search

ByTheSea Mon 15-Sep-08 20:41:28

YANBU. I have known two colleagues who had been at the job awhile who were sacked once the reference-checking process came back to show they had lied about having degrees. This was in the financial services industry. It took a while to check, but they did and once it came out, they were told to leave immediately. It's just not worth it.

thelittlestbadger Mon 15-Sep-08 20:41:33

You're generally asked to provide proof of qualifications if you get offered the job so unless it is working for SurAlan, he should stick to the truth. Also, lying about his current employment might just be rumbled through references and a brief google search

thelittlestbadger Mon 15-Sep-08 20:41:34

ByTheSea Mon 15-Sep-08 20:42:15

flowerybeanbag Mon 15-Sep-08 20:42:35

YANBU. And he's being daft.

He'll get caught out in the lie about his job and his company sharpish in an interview, as you have proved.

He may or may not get caught out in the 2:1 lie, depending on circumstances and the kind of job/company it is, how thoroughly they check, but not worth it.

Is it actually essential to the jobs he's applying for to have a degree? Frequently skills and experience far more important.

thelittlestbadger Mon 15-Sep-08 20:43:09

Sorry about the double post, computer being slow.

thisisyesterday Mon 15-Sep-08 20:43:26

you aren't being unreasonable. but he's the one who will look like a twat when he gets found out.

so let him. and then say HA, I TOLD YOU SO. and bask in it lol

Bettyboobird Mon 15-Sep-08 20:48:20

thisisyesterday-he WILL look like an idiot! I want to prevent that if I can.

Flowerbeanbag-no, a degree is not necessary for the role he is applying for-just relevant exerience, of which he already has stacks, without fabricating the truth!

He has had 3 interviews in the last 2 months with no call back-but I don't think that's enough reason to start creating a new persona...

kama Mon 15-Sep-08 20:49:48

Message withdrawn

thisisyesterday Mon 15-Sep-08 20:52:48

bettyboobird, maybe he needs to learn the hard way??

flowerybeanbag Mon 15-Sep-08 20:54:59

Even more pointless then. If he doesn't need a 2:1, and it's the experience that is important, then putting it will make no difference as to whether he gets an interview or not so it achieves nothing apart from make him look stupid if they check.

Presumably he's ashamed of dropping out of uni or something?

Lies about his job and employer
are more likely to help him get an interview, but actually more likely to get found out than the degree one ime.

Has he had feedback from the interviews? If he was getting the interviews, it's not the cv that was the problem, it's his interview technique/answers he was/wasn't giving.

ScottishMummy Mon 15-Sep-08 20:56:39

bad idea.so easy to verify such facts esp UNi quick call to student records.will end in tears

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now