Talk

Advanced search

To Not Send DD1 To School Tomorrow?

(45 Posts)
DanJARMouse Mon 15-Sep-08 16:21:10

I probably am but...

DD1 is just 4yrs old. Part time at school until Easter.

It is my friends little boys 3rd birthday tomorrow and she is having a party at a soft play centre 30 minutes by car away.

Party starts at 11am, food at 12.30pm. DD1 is due to be at school for 1pm.

DH told the school today she wouldnt be in tomorrow as he had a hospital appointment and couldnt get her to school and back in time (and then DD1 piped up with "and ive got my friend xxxxx's birthday party", Dh covered it well with "yes, tomorrow is a busy day")

Am I being in unreasonable in allowing her time off for the party when really in all honestly she doesnt HAVE to be at school until next september by law?!

Ive got a case of the guilts now....

DanJARMouse Mon 15-Sep-08 16:21:45

oh and DD2 and DS were invited too, but couldnt just take them as we would need the car to get DD1 to school....

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Mon 15-Sep-08 16:23:51

I wouldn't feel guilty but I also wouldn't hide the truth from the teacher either as, quite clearly, your DD will be full of beans about the party she went to !

LouMacca Mon 15-Sep-08 16:25:24

YANBU - take her to the party. I can't see what harm one day off would do.

wannaBe Mon 15-Sep-08 16:26:21

I think yabu. She's only just started school and already you're giving her the message that she can take time off for parties etc.

If you felt so strongly that by law she doesn't have to be there until next september then why didn't you keep her back a year and put her straight into year1?

TrinityRhino Mon 15-Sep-08 16:28:14

I would have let her go to the party
told the teacher what you were doing

and NOT posted ion here
lol
I reckon you are gonna get jumped on

not by me though smile

Surfermum Mon 15-Sep-08 16:29:51

I wouldn't let dd miss school for a party. I might take her to the party and leave early to get to school on time, but school would take priority definitely.

DanJARMouse Mon 15-Sep-08 16:30:14

You see this is really what I have said all along, I dont agree with time off school for any old thing..... but she is only 4!

I know I could have deffered her starting until next year, but she is so ready for school, can read and write quite a bit already.

Arghhhhhh, knew I shouldnt have posted on here, but wanted to know where others stood!!!

Mercy Mon 15-Sep-08 16:30:33

Yanbu imo.

We used to take dd on holiday when she was in Reception until she turned 5.

Seeline Mon 15-Sep-08 16:31:04

What will you do next time she wants to do ahppens in school hours?

Fimbo Mon 15-Sep-08 16:32:34

I can't make up my mind on this tbh.

We did take dd out of reception for 1 day when her grandparents were here, mainly because we don't see them that often as they live 800+ miles away. I made dh phone the school though and explain. They were fine about it.

DanJARMouse Mon 15-Sep-08 16:32:43

DD1 knew nothing about the party until today.

She would have been happy as larry to go to school tomorrow - it was me and DH who decided she could have the day off.

Obviously it is a one off because this little boy is the only one left who isnt in nursery/school.

Note for future - No time off!!!

lulumama Mon 15-Sep-08 16:33:34

setting a precedent here, so i think you need to not send her to the party. importnat to start as you mean yo go on i think

pointydog Mon 15-Sep-08 16:36:24

Wouldn't keep a child of mine off for a party. Why did the mum organise it for a school day? How odd.

Not at all bothered about what others might do, though.

purplefraggle Mon 15-Sep-08 16:40:22

yabu.
You have said she is ready for school so take her and encourage the skills she already has.
I agree with surfermum, you could have taken her to the party, left early and made it to school too. Lieing about it wont get you anywhere as she has already outed you to the teacher meaning you have to lie a second time to cover up.
She may only be 4 but as seeline says what happens next time.
You obviously know you are doing wrong by what you have put in your first post.

sarah293 Mon 15-Sep-08 16:43:57

Message withdrawn

ruddynorah Mon 15-Sep-08 16:44:29

why didn't you arrange the party for the weekend?

bumpybecky Mon 15-Sep-08 17:05:15

I'd take her to the party, leave just before food served, give her picnic in car on way to school, get there just in time

angrypixie Mon 15-Sep-08 17:17:33

I don't really care either way about the time off, but modeling telling bare faced lies to the teacher stinks. What were you thinking of?

rubyredslippers Mon 15-Sep-08 17:20:35

I find this all quite surprising... child is four. Do you know what they do all day in school?...imo: same old repetitive routine, and play. How is it so vital she attend every day? (was mistake to lie tho prob!!!)

rubyredslippers Mon 15-Sep-08 17:20:50

I find this all quite surprising... child is four. Do you know what they do all day in school?...imo: same old repetitive routine, and play. How is it so vital she attend every day? (was mistake to lie tho prob!!!)

rubyredslippers Mon 15-Sep-08 17:21:10

rubyredslippers Mon 15-Sep-08 17:23:16

OOPS i meant it so much i said it 3x.... what is YANBU also. Duh?

yanbu-i would let her go to the party. she's 4 fgs!

mummy5bellies Mon 15-Sep-08 17:24:10

Go to the party, but don't make up excuses again, just fess up. If you keep kids off school for anything even remotely exciting, the whole school will know when they go back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now