Talk

Advanced search

to expect my child's godmothers should remember his birthday?

(11 Posts)
cathcat Sun 14-Sep-08 01:18:28

DS2 has 2 godmothers.
His 3rd birthday was yesterday.
They have both forgotten.
Fot the second year in a row.
I am pissed off.

TisaWildLife Sun 14-Sep-08 01:24:36

Depends on what emphasis you place on god parents.

The whole godparents thang is a bit grey tbh.

Is a mate you liked at the time and have since lost touch with?
Is it a religious friend you picked to guide your child to god?
Is it a close friend you though would want to look out generally for your dc?

If latter one then fair enough, annoying that it turns out you misjudged and they don't care as much as they should.

But My own family don't remember my dc birthdays all the time and I get over it, I realise it is because they are a bit crap like that but they mean well in the end.

cathcat Sun 14-Sep-08 01:29:22

good points TWL but both fall into the latter. Maybe I am annoyed because I expect them to remember his birthday as a sort of commitment to him. I remember all my friends' DCs birthdays, maybe I should not have a freakishly good memory for birthdays and then I wouldn't mind? hmm

TisaWildLife Sun 14-Sep-08 01:33:26

No. You are right and can rest easy in your rightousness.

They should remember, honest, they should.

But they blardy well didn't, the buggers.

So you are understandably disappointed.

What will you do?

It depends on the kind of friends they are, I suppose

cathcat Sun 14-Sep-08 01:39:18

lol my rightousness!
I expect they will get around to apologising for forgetting about it in about a month or two like they did last year.

ethanchristopher Sun 14-Sep-08 09:52:44

my godmother has given me my birthday present and card late for all 15 birthdays i have had. ive not got high hopes for my 16th either.

aww

mshadowsisfab Sun 14-Sep-08 11:27:20

should have chosen better godparents.
I often with godparents could be sacked.

wobbegong Sun 14-Sep-08 12:27:50

I'm a godmother. I have given about £200 worth of presents, every birthday and Christmas. In ten years I have never had a thank you card. And I'm a sodding atheist.

I wish I could resign.

Flowertop Sun 14-Sep-08 15:19:27

I was asked to be my friend's daughter's god mother and refused. I think if you take on the role you should remember the child's birthday at least. I just did not want to have the responsiblity of doing that when I knew our friendship may not last long term or I wouldn't see them so much. It didn't go down very well and our friendship is not the same. I still think I did the right thing as she would have felt event worse had I forgotten birthdays and christmas pressies. If you take on the role of GP you need to think hard about the longterm commitment.

jawjawnotwarwar Sun 14-Sep-08 15:33:17

Yeah I definitely used to get bday presents up until the age of about 10 from my godparents. Never set eyes on them now mind. Next year you could have a quick chat/email/text a week or so before b'day date and casually mention said b'day, although you wouldn't have to make that the main reason you contacted them. Then a few days later, tell them how much little jimmy love getting his card (hopefully present) from his special godmummy" I think these relationships need a bit of encouragement. Good luck!

Twims Sun 14-Sep-08 15:45:51

A godfather to my friends daughter has over 20 godchildren and he just sends them all a card and a gift on one set day in the year which I think is lovely as it splits up the monotomy of life between christmas and birthdays for children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now