Talk

Advanced search

to expect husband to be within an hr away for the remaining 4wks of pregnancy?

(12 Posts)
roygbiv Sun 14-Sep-08 00:40:16

tTe nhs website says 13 percent of births are pre 37 wks. His job takes him on a trip that will mean he's over 2.5 hrs away when I'm 37 wks. My 1st labour was 9hrs and 5 days early. The thought of doing 2.5 hrs alone is too terrifying! Parental presence def not an option! Am I bein unreasonable?

scaryteacher Sun 14-Sep-08 00:43:48

YANBU, but sometimes it's unavoidable. My dh was somewhere underwater off Scotland when ds was born, and didn't know about it until 3 days later.

Do you have a friend who can support you/let you bite them until your dh gets back?

roygbiv Sun 14-Sep-08 00:45:58

trouble is, the trip is entirely avoidable, otherwise there wouldn't be an issue - all he has to do is request not to go!

scaryteacher Sun 14-Sep-08 00:46:55

If it's avoidable, then YANBU at all.

roygbiv Sun 14-Sep-08 00:49:23

Thanks! Much appreciated. x

ScottishMummy Sun 14-Sep-08 01:01:41

roygbiv you have two simultaneous threads,same topic?

roygbiv Sun 14-Sep-08 01:04:32

i know - 1st time I've written on here n didn't know how 2 delete one?

ScottishMummy Sun 14-Sep-08 01:07:04

congratulations on pg

Elasticwoman Sun 14-Sep-08 21:30:29

Do you have an alternative birthing partner -eg good girlfriend, sister? If so, perhaps you might suggest to dh that if you go into labour while he's 2.5 hours away, you'll have another birthing partner until he arrives. As second babies are sometimes quite quick, he might miss it altogether. On the other hand, if you go into labour at night or early morning, he'll be there, won't he?

pippylongstockings Sun 14-Sep-08 21:42:11

Yes - tell him how quick 2nd babies can be.... my DP wanted to go to work when I was having 'twinges' - I asked him to stay for another cup of tea & cue DS2 being born 45min later! 999 to hospital and midwife saying I can see the head.......

One of my friends just had her 2nd in 1 & 1/2 hours....

Good luck!

roygbiv Mon 15-Sep-08 08:39:32

I'm glad u both said that cos that was my concern - knowing that often 2nd babies r much quicker than 1st is what's making me much more cautious than last time. And besides, he'd be devastated too if he missed it, I just don't think he'd even thought about it like I have - men don't tho, do they!

babyignoramus Tue 16-Sep-08 13:21:49

My DH takes a good 2 hours to get home (works in London), so I've just had to accept that he won't be in spitting distance 24 hours a day for the homestretch. I'd be peeved if he chose to extend that with evenings out etc, or went further away than necessary, so I don't think YABU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now