Talk

Advanced search

To feel ripped off paying £11.95 for 'dental insurance' each month

(7 Posts)
vjg13 Fri 12-Sep-08 20:59:20

Just had a letter from my previously NHS dentist to say that they are now private and to stay on their books we will pay this each month (also an additional £11.95 set up fee).

No dentists taking on NHS patients in area.

It only covers check ups.

anyfucker Fri 12-Sep-08 21:04:14

join the rest of us sad

Rosieglow Fri 12-Sep-08 21:23:36

Our NHS dentist went private years ago but we don't pay anything monthly. Just about £45 for a check up twice a year. I guess if I ever needed any work done it would be more expensive, whereas yours might be covered by the insurance.

My DH goes to another private dentist where he just goes for a check up when he feels like it ( about once every 3 years).

You don't have to stick with the same dentist!

tiggerlovestobounce Fri 12-Sep-08 21:37:40

I go to a private dentist, but I just pay for what I need to have done.
Seems odd if they are only going to treat people who have insurance.

vjg13 Fri 12-Sep-08 21:43:53

I just feel it's crap that all dentists have been allowed to go private.
I think a 'Labour' government should care about people on low incomes.
Maybe I'm being old fashioned. sad

avenanap Fri 12-Sep-08 21:46:38

sad I had to pay or he'd only see ds and I every 2 years. I pay £9.50 a month for 2 dental appointments, 2 appointments with the hygenist and 20% off any treatment.

AMumInScotland Fri 12-Sep-08 21:47:37

So they want about £144 a year, just to keep you on the books and do checkups. Is that per person, or for you and DP? You could look at what other private dentists in he area would charge to get a checkup - if it's less than your one would be getting, I'd be tempted to tell them where to stick it.

There rae also "proper" health insurance plans which cover dentists - yo ucould loko at what those cost and what you get for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now