Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Birthday parties again - I am a little miffed!

(8 Posts)
macdoodle Fri 12-Sep-08 20:30:00

And I don't really want to be talk me out of it please
I have 2 very very good friends we all have DDs with birthdays early sept...we always make sure we don't have parties on the same days - the girls are 7 this year ....mine and one other go to the same school, the 3rd to a different, they go to Brownies together, and see each other regularly..
My DD1 is the last of the 3 and has been to the other 2's, and had a good time despite the one being a fairy party (she hates fairies and all things girly but went and participated and had fun)...
My DD is having a climbing party (big high walls shock)...and quite limited numbers so is also having a small sleepover for her quieter friends who would not climb (and hate it) the week after....however after much discussion we did decide to invite girl 3 (despite knowing no way would she climb) but not wanting to leave her out ...especially as her mum has said to my DD when taking them to brownies that girl 3 would be sad if girl 2 went to both parties ...still with me ?? grin
So party next week booked and paid for invites sent all excited....get a phone call from mum of girl 3 saying so sorry but girl 3 has had invite to a Build-a-bear party on same day which she would much prefer and as she would probably not want to climb anyone she would prefer to go to that one instead......
Now normally would really not mind at all but she made such a big deal that her DD was invited and not left out, and now she has a better offer ...she is happy to let my DD down
Its too late to invite someone else and am just a bit shocked by this mum and I love her to pieces and she is usually so sensible and fair
Have told DD1 it is fine that girl 3 can't come and they will all get extra time climbing but haven't told her why she isn't coming - think she would be upset she aint daft!

FrazzledFairyFay Fri 12-Sep-08 20:34:12

YANBU. I think once you have accepted an invitation you should not back out, just because you get a 'better offer'. IMHO the other Mum should have explained to her DD that she has already agreed to go to your DD's party and that it would be very unkind to back out.

summerdressesandlacyboots Fri 12-Sep-08 20:35:55

did she actually say to you yes girl 3 will be coming to the party?

and why is it too late to invite someone else, is it tommorrow?

macdoodle Fri 12-Sep-08 20:38:21

Yes she definitely said she was coming ..and that was after more or less insisting she be invited !
I don't think it is a nice to teach your children that they can let people down if something better comes along
I could try and invite someone else - it is next weekend - but ti would be pretty obvious they were "second choice" which in itself isn't very nice !

ethanchristopher Fri 12-Sep-08 20:39:46

invite someone else its never too late

but in all honesty yanbu - it should be first come first party you go to!

tiggerlovestobounce Fri 12-Sep-08 20:42:05

You probably could get away with not letting on that the new invite wasnt given out at the same time as the others, those things must go missing all the time.... wink

summerdressesandlacyboots Fri 12-Sep-08 20:42:14

then yanbu - very very rude and as you said a bad lesson to teach her dd. Let your yes mean yes and all that.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 12-Sep-08 20:44:17

Yes it's rude but many parents lose their manners when it comes to any part of party etiquette.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now