Talk

Advanced search

To think that the run up to holidays/festivals is just getting ridiculously long and overdone?

(13 Posts)
mrsmalumbas Fri 12-Sep-08 17:58:17

I was just looking at my calendar and realised that it is still about six weeks to Halloween. Christmas is even further away. So why are are the shops stuffed to the gills with Halloween stuff? It used to be a pleasant little affair, a slightly spooky evening, perhaps a lantern made out of turnip if my dad could be bothered, maybe a bit of apple bobbing - now it's this huge full blown thing that involves costumes, pumkins, trick or treat, parties, and god knows what. I do go along with it to some degree but wonder why it has to be such a commercial event - so much merchandise! And don't get me started on Christmas. My local co-op actually has Cadbury's christmas selection boxes in. It's September for Christ's sake! Bah humbug.

Twelvelegs Fri 12-Sep-08 18:00:20

It has simply lost it's spirit!
Halloween rally pisses me off though, who cares about Halloween? We are British!!

ComeOVeneer Fri 12-Sep-08 18:01:16

Our local Sainsbury@s was stacking shelves with mince pies and christmas puddings on Monday. (I will admit to having bought some pressies and making other plans etc but... shock)

ComeOVeneer Fri 12-Sep-08 18:03:07

Twelvelegs, I am confused, what is halloween and being British got to do with anything? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it pagan in origin, bugger all to do with being "British".

TheFallenMadonna Fri 12-Sep-08 18:07:44

Oh we've always done halloween. It isn't some US import. I have very clear memories of getting my devil's horns all soggy while bobbing for apples.

AbbaFan Fri 12-Sep-08 18:11:02

We all know why the shops do this - to make us buy more.

Annoying though, I agree.

Twelvelegs Fri 12-Sep-08 18:13:34

We have never made a big deal out of it, until recent times which I believe is a direct result of the TV screens being full of Americans 'celebrating' halloween.

Twelvelegs Fri 12-Sep-08 18:14:35

Halloween was not commercial or massive when I was a child, it was a silly dress up and a little trick or treat.

ComeOVeneer Fri 12-Sep-08 18:17:10

Still is around here!

Twelvelegs Fri 12-Sep-08 18:26:48

Here too, but the fact it's in all the shops annoys me. Childhood has never been such a source of profit as it is today, I fight the good fight and try to sheild my children (6,5 & 2) from commercial TV etc. I know it will come knocking upon my door soon and I will fall victim to the pre christmas crazy 'new thing'.

Boyswillbeboys Fri 12-Sep-08 18:28:58

My local Sainsbury's has replaced the "Back to School" stuff with Halloween treats and costumes, and yes there are mince pies and Xmas puddings already in the cake section! By November there is so much bloody Xmas stuff all over the shop you can never find the actual real food you went there to buy angry

ethanchristopher Fri 12-Sep-08 19:06:50

i know it really annoys me!

it just means that i my ds gets to excited quickly

mrsmalumbas Fri 12-Sep-08 19:21:25

My DD's are already talking about what they want for Christmas and wanting to write letters to Santa! I keep telling them it's a long way away. Just means it will all be a massive anti-climax when it does come round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now