Talk

Advanced search

to not want to share our pre-school equipment with a toddler group?

(17 Posts)
scarletlilybug Fri 12-Sep-08 12:20:57

I'm treasurer for a local pre-school which uses a school classroom. We pay rent for the classroom for the days we are open.

The head of the school now wants to start a toddler group (I guess he is under government pressure to do so) and so he wants us to allow the toddler group to use our resources when we're not there (furniture, toys, art stuff, etc).

Am I being unresonable to think that this isn't really on? (genuine question, btw). We had a massive fundraising drive to raise money for new equipment over the last year, and we're run as a charity, completely separate from the school. I don't see why the school should expect to have free rein, when all of the stuff we're talking about actually belongs to the pre-school (we're a registered charity, btw). Or is it me?

Boyswillbeboys Fri 12-Sep-08 12:24:25

No you are not being unreasonable, especially since you paid for the equipment. Since you are a charity, could you not charge them for using the equipment or ask them to make a donation? If things get broken or damaged they should also pay for replacement.

hatrick Fri 12-Sep-08 12:25:52

Message withdrawn

TurkeyLurkey Fri 12-Sep-08 12:28:11

Will those coming to the Toddler club have to pay? (we used to charge £1 a child). If so, you could ask them to put the money into the pre-schools funds to cover cost of paper/pens and other stuff of yours they use.

mabanana Fri 12-Sep-08 12:29:40

Negotiate a reduction in rent as part of the deal? Or charge them for the use of the equipment. It's not fair if you pay the school, but you don't get paid.

Flier Fri 12-Sep-08 12:30:27

A toddler group I used to belong to paid the playgroup a fee each year in return for being able to use their ride-on toys. I think that large equipment and furniture should be shared, but an agreement has to be made that the toddler group pays for thsi use. Small resources like art equip etc should not be shared though.

tiggerlovestobounce Fri 12-Sep-08 12:30:46

I dont think this is on. Maybe if there was some reciprocation eg less rent, they give money or buy next lot of toys, but otherwise no.
I would also worry a bit because of how you got your money. When people donated to you they thought it was just for your group. Its possible that some people may be unhappy if the resurce it used in a way they didnt expect.

scarletlilybug Fri 12-Sep-08 12:32:21

Maybe if they paid us something towards using our equipment, maybe that would be an idea - thanks...

I guess I'm just riled at the expectation that the school can do this and that the headmaster has jsu presumed it'll be okay (i.e. use our stuff),and I worry that if things get lost or broken, then it's the pre-school which will have to pay.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 12-Sep-08 12:35:10

Worth checking out the insurance implications if it does go ahead - if a toddler injured themselves on the preschool equipment who would be liable?

scarletlilybug Fri 12-Sep-08 12:37:17

Insurance - yes, another consideration. The head wants us to add the toddler group to our insurance policy, even though it will be run completely separately from the preschool.

Manictigger Fri 12-Sep-08 12:45:28

I can understand you being peed off with having this imposed on you by the school etc, but assuming that you could sort out the financial arrangements, make rules regarding breakages etc, I think sharing would be a good, generous thing to do. Presumably many of the the toddlers will at some point join your preschool and so will benefit from being familiar with the place?

Would be a shame if young children and their parents missed out because of the way the school handled the situation.

elkiedee Fri 12-Sep-08 12:46:13

Re insurance, that doesn't seem very practical or reasonable. Presumably pre-school parents are paying fees which cover rent, insurance etc.

Some parents, specially those with more than one young child eg 3 year old, 1 year old might welcome the toddler group as well, but I think it needs to be resourced and planned properly.

If this is part of a drive to set up children's centres, then the Council should be budgeting for it and not just looking to get you to foot the extra costs.

KVC Fri 12-Sep-08 12:46:44

Message withdrawn

scarletlilybug Fri 12-Sep-08 13:41:47

Thanks to all who've responded - it's given us some things to think about.

I don't mind so much the idae of the toddler group using our stuff as the fact that it has been assumed this is ok. Without actually bothering to ak us how we feel about the idea. Does that make sense? And that's without getting into all the practicalities of it all.

Does anyone know of a preschool that shares its equipment with another, completely separate, toddler group? How does it work in practice?

cat64 Fri 12-Sep-08 13:54:58

Message withdrawn

scarletlilybug Fri 12-Sep-08 16:44:28

Thanks.... am mentally composing a list of arguments to present to the headmaster. Not sure he'll listen - I don't think he takes t on board that, although its run by a committee of volunteers, the pre-school is nevertheless a business/small charity and has to be run properly and accountably. It's not just a bunch of toys lying around... the equipment belongs to the preschool and isn't just there to be used by whoever feels like using it.

oldraver Fri 12-Sep-08 17:24:01

Sounds like he has no respect for your group or what you do. Your expected to pay rent and find your own insurance but give him everything for free

You could tongue in cheek suggest rent is no longer charged in return for loan of toys and he put YOUR pre-school on his insurance. He may then realise he suggestions are silly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now