Talk

Advanced search

to expect not to be emailed by...

(13 Posts)
ethanchristopher Thu 11-Sep-08 23:28:12

some dude in africa telling me he wants to ship money into a bank account of my choosing and all he will need is my bank account number, sort code, pin number and details.

because a) i dont have a bank account and b) is he having a fucking larf.

i get these emails bloody 4 or 5 times a day

why do people feel the need to spam me this much???

has anybody got a remedy to stop spam being sent (i am on yahoo)

Bowddee Thu 11-Sep-08 23:33:28

No idea, but I keep getting them as well so I'm hoping someone will give you an answer.

primigravida Thu 11-Sep-08 23:34:48

YANBU - whatever you do don't reply or it will get even worse. I speak from experience. You may need to create a new email account and be more selective with who you give it to. That's what I had to do.

mrswotzisnotin Thu 11-Sep-08 23:47:42

I would get a new email account.

I ended up getting around 200 spam emails a day. New email account. I asked all my mates not to use it to forward round robin junk stuff with me as one of the addresses. It has been fine so far.

bellabelly Thu 11-Sep-08 23:50:27

Get a spam filter, they are good at syphoning off this sort of rubbish

ethanchristopher Thu 11-Sep-08 23:55:20

bella - i've got a spam filter that puts all spam into a spam folder but i still have to delete the messages from it

id rather just not get the messages in the first place

minorbird Thu 11-Sep-08 23:58:40

I get this a lot in my spam box. From the desk of blah. Urgent response needed for blah. You have inherited blah. Gawd knows who thinks these crazy scams up!

mrswotzisnotin Thu 11-Sep-08 23:59:23

True mine used to filter them and put them in junk, but every so often it would put real ones I wanted in there too.

You are juts too popular, that's the trouble....

babymt Fri 12-Sep-08 08:28:51

I have 2 email accounts. My hotmail one (which spam filter is crap) I use for all my online buying, account registering, facebook (who I think is one of the worst culprits), freecycle and online forum stuff. Then my gmail one (with good spam filter) I use for all my friends/family emails and ebay...oh and Ocado. I have practically no spam in my gmail one but what I do gets caught in the filter. I only give the people that send round that round robin kind of crap my hotmail address grin.

Anyway that works well for me. Would that work for you? Just check your old one every few days and do a mass delete, don't even read them or let them bother you.

chenin Fri 12-Sep-08 08:46:37

ethan... you really need to go on this website but warning warning, you will spend hours reading this!.
The people who send these emails are total CROOKS and this website is full of people who, quite rightly, waste their time thereby hopefully stopping them targeting innocent or elderly people.

MorningTownRide Fri 12-Sep-08 12:27:41

ethan - the problem is all they need to do is send out a few thousand emails and for say 5 people to answer and send them account numbers/ cheques and it pays off.

The amount of Viagara stuff I get at work is eyepopping.

Also as well as helliebean's site, try this one too Snopes

It covers the whole range of scams.

Jux Fri 12-Sep-08 12:42:46

Spam Bully is free adn quite good. It will automatically delete spam after 24hrs, so you don't have to bother.

Cryptoprocta Fri 12-Sep-08 15:16:06

Browsing this site may cheer you up:
www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now