Talk

Advanced search

To think baby led weaning is a scam?

(164 Posts)
pardon Wed 10-Sep-08 22:14:11

Isn't it normal to give dc's a bit of finger food?

Ewe Wed 10-Sep-08 22:16:49

No, most Mums I know puree at first with occasional finger foods. BLW is exclusive finger feeding.

MrsMattie Wed 10-Sep-08 22:17:01

Personally, I hate the labels, ands prefer to call a spade a spade...

Baby led weaning = not faffing with purees
Elimination Communication = not using nappies
Attachment Parenting = going with the flow

But each to their own. Some people like to be part of a 'movement' and find the solidarity a comfort.

MrsMattie Wed 10-Sep-08 22:17:21

ands = and

theSuburbanDryad Wed 10-Sep-08 22:17:58

Yes - all those well known BLW products, books, blenders, special pots and everything.

It's a multi-million pound industry, dontchaknow. The public have a right to know!

hmm

WigWamBam Wed 10-Sep-08 22:19:06

Who cares how the food is given, as long as it is given?

Honestly, there are far more important things to try and start an argument over.

KVC Wed 10-Sep-08 22:19:06

Message withdrawn

snickersnack Wed 10-Sep-08 22:19:27

It is normal. But I think the usual path of BLW-ers is to avoid purees and spoon feeding entirely and let the baby lead. TBH both of mine led me quite effectively towards wanting spoon-feeding (the first time my mother approached ds with a pureed carrot after me trying BLW for 2 months he nearly bit her arm off grin). So we ended up doing a lot of finger food from the beginning but I've also offered spoon-based stuff as well.

tiggerlovestobounce Wed 10-Sep-08 22:20:17

Whats the scam? Just give them normal food and dont buy jars. The profits must be rolling in for the person who thought of that one... hmm

MrsMattie Wed 10-Sep-08 22:22:57

It's not about jars it's about not pureeing at all. Personally, I think making some big decision about how to feed your baby either way is a bit lame. Pureeing /spoon feeding isn't evil! Finger foods are not the devil! Militant BLW-ers bore me as much as Annabel Karmel types...

theSuburbanDryad Wed 10-Sep-08 22:28:32

Yeah - but you don't need to buy them anything extra MrsM! No spoons, no Moulinex, no ice cube trays - it's great!! grin

Although I did find long sleeved, full frontal bibs a godsend! Maybe Gill Rapley could start marketing them?!

pardon Wed 10-Sep-08 22:34:08

tigger - that's the point, such a load of bollocks, just let them get on with it! had never heard of it before and now i feel like i am doing things wrong (again)

Bettyboobird Wed 10-Sep-08 22:38:33

I didn't set out to be a BLW mum, it just kind of...happened.

No scam involved in my house-I just didn't want to DO purees a second time round, and as I'd left weaning as late as possible, dd2 had the coordination to pick up food and put it in her mouth. So it wasn't really appropriate to be giving her bowls of puree to go hand-printing with!

TBH, it was less hassle IMO. No ice cube trays needed!!

tiggerlovestobounce Wed 10-Sep-08 22:44:41

pardon Why do you think you are doing things wrong?
Just letting them get on with it sounds pretty good to me.

slayerette Wed 10-Sep-08 22:45:52

I'm with MrsMattie. I can't see the point of only doing one type of feeding and have never been sure what the advantages of BLW are meant to be anyway. Ds had some purees and some finger foods and lo and behold - he's turned into a normal five yr old boy who is able to eat food with his fingers or with cutlery as the occasion/food demands. Would I have got something different if I had done BLW?

Tommy Wed 10-Sep-08 22:48:37

no scam here either I'm afraid - BLW was much cheape and less hassle than what I did with my first two DSs. I don't think I've given anyone any money for it although I have posted on Aitch's website a couple of times.... hmm

pardon Wed 10-Sep-08 22:50:14

Am giving dc2 whatever to eat - dc1 was exclusivly fed on purees, it just annoys me how I get different advice within a year

ThisTooWillPass Wed 10-Sep-08 22:50:34

Message withdrawn

mamazee Wed 10-Sep-08 22:51:41

i agree snickersanck i really tried BLW and i found it not for me. my son ate and ate and ate the first time i tried mashed food (having walked away crying from the table one evening). i still gave him finger food but no more gagging. i got really really upset by the gagging and he seemed so much calmer when we did mashed. that said i did let him feed himself alot...
it actually took weeks for my confidence in my mothering to come back.. i whole heartedly agreed with it is theory but in the reality of my first child it didn't work for us at all...maybe next time

mamazee Wed 10-Sep-08 22:53:19

me walking away crying not him

SmugColditz Wed 10-Sep-08 22:55:13

PMSL

HOW is it a scam?

Who is making money from baby led weaning?

Course, when ds1 was little it was called "Letting him scrounge off mummy's plate" but it's still the same thing!

Aitch Wed 10-Sep-08 22:55:18

lol at scam. do what you want, don't piss on other people's chips. that's good advice, that is. grin

LapinOnTheEventHorizon Wed 10-Sep-08 22:55:54

It's just a way of weaning your child - it works for some, not for others - no-one is forcing anyone to do anything. Are you being TOLD to BLW? Is someone making you pay money? No? Well then it's not a scam.

And it worked brilliantly for us, and not well for my niece; much like any other weaning "method".

SmugColditz Wed 10-Sep-08 22:56:50

elimination communication is also known as "Letting them poo on the floor if you don't manage to catch it in a potty because you were selfishly meeting some of your own needs"

wink

<<devilment>>

pardon Wed 10-Sep-08 22:57:13

I think what I am trying to say is BLW is actually what a lot of people do - and it is trying to be passed off as some kind of phenomenon. Which it isn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now