Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit rankled by sneering nurse?

(18 Posts)
FattipuffsandThinnifers Wed 10-Sep-08 16:57:37

DS has just had his MMR. I had a couple of very slight concerns/questions, more than anything just to put my mind at rest.

I'd done a lot of research into it, and despite feeling ok about going ahead, had gathered that if the child's immunity was compromised this might increase the risk of a bad reaction. DS has a dry rash on his back - he's had it before and was told at one point it was eczema, then subsequently a post-viral rash. So while I had no concerns at all about his health at the moment (he's fine, no illness), I just wanted to be sure that she (or a dr) were confident he was perfectly well - ie no virus.

Perhaps I'm being a bit PFB, but I coudln't help not being 100% relaxed about the MMR above any other jabs, simply because it is still controversial despite widespread take-up etc.

Anyway, this nurse basically smirked at me, didn't even want to look at his rash until I asked her to (twice), then said it was barely there, she had to really strain to see it (which was absolute bollocks, it was clear as crystal and bumpy). After the jab I said "so I presumably have to wait for a few minutes to make sure no allergic reaction" as I've been told to for every other jab, and again she smirked and said "in all the time I've been here we've never had a reaction". That was it.

Maybe it was simply her normal manner, and maybe I am being PFB, but AIBU to be a bit irritated by her attitude?

belgo Wed 10-Sep-08 17:00:34

She's sounds very patronising. You were right to mention the rash, and she should have told you to wait in the waiting room for 10 minutes or so after the jab. Just because she's never seen a reaction doesn't mean that they never happen!

electra Wed 10-Sep-08 17:03:35

What a stupid woman.

electra Wed 10-Sep-08 17:03:54

The nurse - not you btw!

FattipuffsandThinnifers Wed 10-Sep-08 17:10:34

Thanks - that's what I thought! I hate that line about things being rare - someone has to be that 1 in 100,000 or whatever.

sarah293 Wed 10-Sep-08 17:12:06

Message withdrawn

JuneBugJen Wed 10-Sep-08 17:17:29

Just ignore her.

Well done you for doing it though. You should come to dd's playgroup and meet the little boy we know who is profoundly deaf as his mother caught measles whilst pregnant from her unimmunised niece.

DisasterArea Wed 10-Sep-08 17:19:34

daft cow. you could make an official complaint to the practice anager. there is no reason to sneer at you or treat you like you're stupid when you are obviously ot.

on a different note - i love your name. had that book when i was little.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Wed 10-Sep-08 17:20:30

sad

FattipuffsandThinnifers Wed 10-Sep-08 17:21:27

Sorry, meant the sad for riven's post.

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 10-Sep-08 17:22:39

not a helpful attitude at all and well done for having the MMR done.

lavenderbongo Wed 10-Sep-08 17:22:46

Just ignore - i still check every rash my two have - I dont want to take any risks. And yes I have always been told to wait post injections. Silly woman.

broguemum Wed 10-Sep-08 19:59:21

Always wait post injections. Poor DD (5 yo) just had horrendous time with an "unusual" reaction to the DTP booster jab. Her arm became swollen, there was a hard red patch about the size of a tennis ball, she was running a fever, vomited and then passed out. I can't beleive that a nurse has never see an adverse reaction!

fedupandisolated Wed 10-Sep-08 20:05:44

Not a good attitude and you are not being PFBish at all. We all worry about the reports we hear in the news. I'm a hv and not immune either - DS had his MMR but I stressed about it before and after despite believing it too be safe.

No = YANBU at all.

Shoegazer Wed 10-Sep-08 20:11:40

I would report her and I'm a nurse. You did everything correctly and she should be supportive and non-judgemental in her nursing practice. I'm a mental health nurse and if someone came to me and said they were feeling depressed I wouldn't smile and squint at them and say well I can't really see any signs, off you go love. Which is basically what she did to you. If she thought that the rash was not significant after examining it, she should have just reassured you, not dimissed you out of hand.

bloomingfedup Wed 10-Sep-08 20:40:07

She is an arse.grin

FattipuffsandThinnifers Wed 10-Sep-08 20:44:07

Thanks everyone. Makes me feel I'm not being over-sensitive after all! Thankfully she's not the usual nurse there (the usual one is lovely) so hopefully I won't have to see her again. If I do though, and get the same attitude I'll think about saying something.

Also thanks for the reassurances about getting the MMR - it's a tough call to make isn't it.

CurrantBM Wed 10-Sep-08 20:45:35

She sounds like our practice nurse who is a total arse, what makes me mad is that I'm also a nurse and I feel she is letting the side down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now