Talk

Advanced search

what would you do....

(20 Posts)
bigTillyMint Wed 10-Sep-08 13:25:41

The other day I found a note on my car, basically saying thank you for my note, but I'm endangering the children's lives if I park outside this house and if I do it again it will be an act of malice.

I was upset because:

1. I had left no-one any notes
2. I used a space butting very close up to 2 bins put in the road. As I was parking a man came out of a house and moved one out of the way to make it easier. I presumed it was his bin, and he didn't need the space any more.
3.I would not want to endanger any children's lives, and infact have 2 of my own who were in the car.

Our road is VERY busy and it is a mare to find a space.

I have now seen the two bins outside the house with big labels on them saying please do not park here as I am a childminder with 3 children under two....

I feel like I want to let this neighbour know that I had not parked there before and did not realise she was trying to save the space - I hate bad feelings, particularly as I didn't do anything deliberately - should I go round and talk to her?

But also, is this woman being unreasonable to try and permantently save her space on a VERY buy street

cheesesarnie Wed 10-Sep-08 13:27:24

id go and talk to her-sounds like simple misunderstanding-hopefully easily sorted.

Chequers Wed 10-Sep-08 13:27:31

How are you endangering the children's lives? She sounds mad.

Doodle2U Wed 10-Sep-08 13:28:56

I'd have a chat to let her know you left no notes. That'll make you feel better.

I feel for the woman but she is acting illegally by what she is doing. The police take a dim view of it if some one chooses to report her - and they will. It's a pita but it's part of the package when you move in to a house on a busy road.

Hulababy Wed 10-Sep-08 13:30:46

Does she have permission form the council or whoever to reserve those spaces?

Carmenere Wed 10-Sep-08 13:32:22

and her children are more important than your children Why?
The best thing to do is to ignore the whole thing and continue to park where you want. My street is very narrow with parking on just one side. there are 27 houses and 18 spaces, we all just park where we can, everyone is in the same boat.
But the twunt who moved in up the road who has 2 cars and whose son parks his here regularly is admittedly a bit annoying...

Avoid this woman basically is my advice.

TheGreatScootini Wed 10-Sep-08 13:32:25

Go and talk to her if you feel you will worry about the bad feeling.

But TBH she is being unreasonable saving space outside her house.Fine she has parents dropping their kids off.But presumably they dont just chuck them out of the car to get into the house on their own.And you have kids of your own who you dont want to walk 10 miles with having had to park a long way from your house.
My CM doesnt do this and she has 3 under 3, (my two plus another) and 4 kids of her own.
Actually I think it might even be illegal.

ChukkyPig Wed 10-Sep-08 13:34:55

This is really tricky.

I think she is being unreasonable reserving a space with bins on a busy road - I hate it when people do this it's just not fair.

But I can see that you don't want her thinking you had left this other note, expecially as you don't know what it said.

However if you go and smooth things over you will end up having to agree with her that it's fine for her to reserve a space with the bins, as if you don't agree with that you'll probably end up having the argument that the person who left the note was having!

If it was me I'd probably leave it and if I bumped into her in the street say something like "I was a bit confused about the note you put on my car as I've never sent you any notes" and see what happens.

Or leave her a note saying you don't know what she's on about and you never left the original note.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 10-Sep-08 13:39:13

It is true that no one should be reserving spaces - she needs to get over it. BUT personally in this situation I would keep well clear of her house, only because you don't know what she is like.

I speak from experience - my former neighbour had lots of "words" with me about using my garage (round the back down an unlit alley etc) rather than parking outside her home. When I didn't comply (she didn't even have her own car) multiple scratches kept appearing on my car. My dp's car (he is now my dh) was brand new at the time - 100 miles on the clock, and mysteriously a very large gouge appeared on the side. shock

I had no proof so she basically got away with it.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 10-Sep-08 13:40:28

p.s. and I didn't deliberately park on her "bit of road" hmm. I (like most people) would always opt to park as near as possible to my own home for convenience. On occasion this wasn't possible.

ChukkyPig Wed 10-Sep-08 13:46:21

onepiece what a total loon!

MorningTownRide Wed 10-Sep-08 13:49:49

This can be considered obstruction of the public highway under Secion 137 of the Highways Act 1980 punishable with a £50 fine.

Dob her in to the nearest PCSO.

KVC Wed 10-Sep-08 13:53:28

Message withdrawn

bigTillyMint Wed 10-Sep-08 14:03:21

The great scootini, what do you think might be illegal?

Morningtownride, what is a PCSO?

thanks!

MorningTownRide Wed 10-Sep-08 14:08:00

Police Community Support Officer. Y' know the community police?

As Scootini said: it is illegal under the law I stated in last my post.

bigTillyMint Wed 10-Sep-08 14:09:20

brill, thanks!

masalachameleon Wed 10-Sep-08 14:13:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 10-Sep-08 15:22:17

KVC in our area (and I think it is the same elsewhere) people who are registered as disabled are able to have a space reserved outside their own home. The council paint dotted white lines round an area outside the house with the word "Disabled" painted in the middle.

IDoEverything Wed 10-Sep-08 15:57:06

I would leave a note saying

'I do not leave notes'

grin

(or has someone already suggested that) (eeek)

AMumInScotland Wed 10-Sep-08 16:01:39

But even the disabled people who get those spaces don't actually have a place reserved just for them IYSWIM - another disabled person would also be entitle to park there (though they probably wouldn't out of consideration!) The parking on the street is not reserved for the house it is next to, not even if there are resident's zones etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now