Talk

Advanced search

...to think the CERN scientists might have ASKED us FIRST?

(62 Posts)
BEAUTlFUL Wed 10-Sep-08 11:53:15

Grr! So the first experiment went OK, no black holes. Another go this afternoon, sending protons round in the opposite direction. And in a couple of weeks, they'll attempt to recreate the Big Bang by sending two beams of protons round in opposite directions to smash into each other at full speed.

Um... Or how about, they don't.

It seems to me this is a bit pointless: it'll either do nothing, or it'll do something massive which might kill everyone.

Did we not have a say? Surely I weouldn't be allowed to set off a nuclear bomb in my caravan "to see what might happen", so how come scientists are allowed to do something that might be incredibly destructive?

I have a shaky grasp on science (it clashed with Art at school), and I am prone to compulsive worrying, but even so. Did I miss a vote? Did the UN send out "Do you think it's OK if boffins try to recreate the Big Bag in real life?" questionnaire and I missed it cos I was Mumsnetting?

AIBU?

Hassled Wed 10-Sep-08 11:57:00

I can't believe you didn't get the questionnaire. There were loads of threads on MN about it at the time - have you been on holiday? Yes, we all had a form to fill in and we had to provide DNA samples to prove we weren't voting twice. I just don't believe you could possibly have missed all this. Do you not open your post?

pigleto Wed 10-Sep-08 12:02:37

I think you have been listening to the media. They are winding you up. The vast majority of the boffins don't even think there is a possibility of any danger. The risks are far less than those of a meteorite jumping out from behind jupiter and smashing the planet to smithereens. Don't say that to a journalist though, there will be a front page story about threats from outer space the next day.

I was a bit hmm about the cost of the thing as I like my science practical. But then last night on the radio I found that they had invented the PET scanner while they were at it. I had one of those at Easter so I have forgiven the government for being so profligate with my taxes.

CatIsSleepy Wed 10-Sep-08 12:06:57

'It seems to me this is a bit pointless: it'll either do nothing, or it'll do something massive which might kill everyone.'

well i agree that would be pointless
not sure that is quite what they're aiming for though:
nothing or total annhihilation
might have been hard to drum up funding for that particular experiment...

Fatbob Wed 10-Sep-08 12:15:27

is this about the large hardon collier?

i thought that was just about an excited dog wink

PrimulaVeris Wed 10-Sep-08 12:16:59

Mumsnet wouldn't exist if it were not for CERN and boffins, dontcha know

World wide web invented by Tim Berners-Lee at CERN

OrmIrian Wed 10-Sep-08 12:18:34

Ooh I'd have voted! In favour of total annihilation obviously. Might be fun hmm

There is no risk. In the remote chance they make a black hole it will be a very very small one. No need to panic.

Fatbob Wed 10-Sep-08 12:18:43

http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/

LittleMyDancing Wed 10-Sep-08 12:20:28

Love the idea of recreating the Big Bag - is this a new theory of creation? God hauled us out of his capacious leather handbag?

Fab idea.grin

trumpetgirl Wed 10-Sep-08 12:25:13

It would be quite pointless to ask me. I took Physics A level, and do a bit of physics-y stuff in my maths degree (which I hate!) but I have not a clue as to what could or couldn't happen. Little black holes and cosmic rays??
I'm sure the sciencey people have a pretty good idea of what will happen, and wouldn't risk the lives of their families and what-have-you. I think they are best qualified to judge if this is worth while or not, and whether it is dangerous.

Flossish Wed 10-Sep-08 12:27:04

I'd really like to try and recreate a big bag too! wink

DaphneMoon Wed 10-Sep-08 12:35:03

I have to admit I was a little nervous today, I know nothing was going to happen but at the back of my mind it bothered me a bit. Don't quite know what I was expecting! blush

MorningTownRide Wed 10-Sep-08 12:48:38

I'm looking forward to meeting some inter - dimensional beings actually.

Unfortunately I rather doubt anything exciting is going to happen.

The thing I love about this though is - they don't really know what is going to happen....

nervousal Wed 10-Sep-08 12:52:54

Is there really such a thing as a "little" black hole? Don't "little" black holes just keep getting bigger?

Let's face it - if total annihalation (sp?) happens this pm, we won't know anything about it....

solidgoldbrass Wed 10-Sep-08 12:55:52

Erm, so the scientists should ask the opinion of every moron, superstitious buckethead, daily mail reader and anti-science nutjob? Really? That would put a bit of a dead stop on any kind of life-improving discoveries, wouldn't it?

Fatbob Wed 10-Sep-08 12:56:12

i'm loving the idiots on the BBC have your say site....

Fatbob Wed 10-Sep-08 12:57:34

This is my favourite:

Britain 'to fall into recession' - and were searching to find out how the planet was created?!!??????!!!?? Fantastic!
Do you think it is wiser to go forward and not back in time!!!!
Jennie Platt, Birmingham, United Kingdom

She is quite right. Why are we wasting time on this 'science' nonsense when I might not be able to afford a new dock for my iPod this time next year?

LittleMyDancing Wed 10-Sep-08 13:12:17

Fantastic. Besides which, how would stopping the experiment stop Britain falling into recession? We didn't pay for all of CERN, after all.

Or maybe she thinks the recession is caused by mini black holes?

there's a definitely one operating somewhere near my bank account these days.

grin

DaphneMoon Wed 10-Sep-08 13:40:14

Fatbob you are so right. I saw on the news today that the UK had given half a billion pounds towards it! How come we never get asked if we want to give half a bloody billion pounds towards something. I wish they would stop saying is it the end of the world, then laughing. My DS was quite worried this morning. Do they ever think about what they are saying.

Fatbob Wed 10-Sep-08 13:45:06

Sorry now im confused, you either agree with me, or you think it's a silly idea, you cant have it both ways.

beansprout Wed 10-Sep-08 13:48:47

I love it when people who don't understand science but who have watched too many films, latch onto the mad scientists idea. grin

Spillage21 Wed 10-Sep-08 14:05:51

Well if they destroy all the world and known universe at least we'll all go together...and there won't be much mess either, just all compressed into the size of a pea in a sea of anti-matter.

Or something like that.

beansprout Wed 10-Sep-08 14:07:33

That would appeal to the Fly Ladies I think. grin

Crunchie Wed 10-Sep-08 14:17:35

I think it is all really interesting tbh and it wil be completey assive in its impacts.

I didn't realise that the internet was created by CERN, I did know that PET scans, chemotherapy, radiotherapy are all being used NOW to save lives - thats worth ibn of my money any time.

THink about teh space race of the 1960's that was the equivilent then, and what has that given us - Satelite systems, GPS, weather forcasts, mobile phoe technology, wirless communications etc etc.

THAT has directly saved lives, I can't imagine what this project might uncover. It is massively exciting to think that huge advnces are just there within reach.

DaphneMoon Wed 10-Sep-08 14:21:23

Fatbob did you mean me blush I thought I was agreeing with you on the cost of it and us being in a recession and all that blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now