Talk

Advanced search

To think that DD's teacher is being a mardy old cow about this?

(31 Posts)
TheSmallClanger Tue 09-Sep-08 21:39:16

Had a slight run-in with DD's school yesterday.
We spent the weekend with my brother and his DP in Liverpool. Normally, we would head back in the late afternoon, but DD (and the rest of us) wanted to see more of the spider and decided to stay for the La Machine finale. DD thoroughly enjoyed herself, and so did we.
Because we were late home, DD didn't have time to do some homework worksheets she'd been given. I wrote a grovelling letter to the teacher and said that DD would do them that evening, and explained what had happened. Yesterday, when I went to fetch DD from school, the teacher asked for "a word" and got quite shirty with me, saying that it was not my place to decide whether DD did her homework or not, and that I should just make sure she did it. I tried to explain that it was an impromptu thing and that I'd been intending to get home in time for DD to do her bloody worksheets, but the teacher then criticised me for keeping DD out late on a school night!
AIBU to think that she is being a bit nosy and judgemental? You don't get to see giant spiders every week and this isn't a regular occurrence. Today, I hid in the car and waited for DD there, which I know is childish and unreasonable. blush

PuppyMonkey Tue 09-Sep-08 21:42:06

I think you should shoot her... grin

Alambil Tue 09-Sep-08 21:43:50

How old is DD?

La Machine is an educational experience... tell the teacher to naff off

Milliways Tue 09-Sep-08 21:44:07

YANBU. Next time she will just have "forgotten" it

Ronaldinhio Tue 09-Sep-08 21:44:43

Message withdrawn

shatteredmumsrus Tue 09-Sep-08 21:45:07

miserable cow

DisasterArea Tue 09-Sep-08 21:45:51

feed her to the giant spider. lauh as she has her insides sucked out.
i'd have pointed out the educational value of spending time in a cultured city experiencing new and exciting things and tlod her you chose to do that instead of the crap boring homework sheet

flubdub Tue 09-Sep-08 21:46:23

How old is your dd? Im presuming primary school?
I think the teacher was OTT tbh.
So your dd should have missed out on quality family time, in exchange for doing worksheets?
Yeah, nice.

TheInvisableManDidIt Tue 09-Sep-08 21:46:28

giant spiders????

sorry but there seems to be alot about spiders on here in the past week and you're all scaring me!!

If this was a regular occurance (homework not being done), I'd say she should have a word with you. But not if this was a one off.

TheSmallClanger Tue 09-Sep-08 21:52:12

DD is 10 (in Y6). She normally does her homework.

I would find the spider and feed the miserable teacher to her, but I wouldn't want the spider to get indigestion.

batters Tue 09-Sep-08 21:58:14

Gosh I am a bit surprised at the teacher frankly. She sounds rather, well, rude.

MingMingtheWonderPet Tue 09-Sep-08 22:02:11

YANBU
Teacher is being a silly moo
Only slight thing in her defence is it it the beginninng of term and I guess she doesn't know if you are the sort of parent who would regularly let your DD skip homework sheets. Perhaps she was just laying the ground rules? - albeit in a very rude way.

Blu Tue 09-Sep-08 22:06:27

Blimey - 'not your place'? Not her place to tell you how to occasionally prioitise a once-in-a-lfetime experience.
I'm all fo supporting tachers and school regimes but she sounds charmless and a bit inhiuman.

But take no notice - it will blow over, and by her standards, every other parent will fall intothe focus of her bossy opinions in their turn and yu will be forgotten.

Just focus on the fact that you saw the spider! envy

Your dd will remember that all her life.

TheCrackFox Tue 09-Sep-08 22:07:50

The teacher is being a twunt. Sometimes life is more important than homework.

ScummyMummy Tue 09-Sep-08 22:20:55

Unique arachnids do not trump homework in this cream faced loon's foolish anhedonic world? She should be immediately expelled from the teaching profession.

Heifer Tue 09-Sep-08 23:12:06

I'm not that keen on your discription of her.. grin

But I totally agree with you, it was certainly more important to see La Machine than getting back early to ensure she did her homework, once in a lifetime thing etc!

Silly mare....

Did you enjoy the finale? I saw it and thought it was good (but not amazing as some has described)...

Heifer Tue 09-Sep-08 23:12:40

dEscription.... [shame]

Heated Tue 09-Sep-08 23:21:08

Maybe she's arachnaphobic wink

MorningTownRide Wed 10-Sep-08 09:31:47

I'm going to buck the trend here and side with the mardy old cow.

My mum used to be a teacher and if certain things are missed out, boxes aren't ticked and work books are not filled.

It is all a load of bureacratic crap really but teachers have it drummed into them to hit all the targets.

Teachers have bad days too (PMT anyone?)

hippipotami Wed 10-Sep-08 09:42:57

MTR, I see what you are saying but surely there can be some flexibility? SmallerClanger was going to do her worksheets that night. So they were not being missed, merely postponed a day. Same as if she had been ill.

I think La Machine was fab and if I was nearer to Liverpool I would have taken the dc (Y1 adn Y5) to see it even if it would mean a late night on a school night. Some experiences are a one off and not to be missed!

I completely agree with teh importance of school, and doing the homework etc. But raising children is more than just school and worksheets. And sometimes parents have to sacrifice one for the other adn make their own judgement on what they want their dc to learn/see/experience.

TrinityRhino Wed 10-Sep-08 09:45:01

giant spiders <shudder>

I'm not even going to ask..

MorningTownRide Wed 10-Sep-08 09:46:10

Well, maybe I will change my mind about teachers when I have to deal with them

DD has just started nursery today. DH took her in (SAHD). The teacher couldn't pronounce her name.....

FranSanDisco Wed 10-Sep-08 09:48:51

She sounds scary shock.

hippipotami Wed 10-Sep-08 09:49:34

MTR, that is bad about the name sad
Hope your dd has a good day today.

seeker Wed 10-Sep-08 09:53:22

Morning Town Ride - she's not called Lucian is she.......?

I am VERY surprised at SmallClanger's teacher - I have never yet met one who would have a problem with this - and I have met a lot of teachers - some of them....difficult!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now