Talk

Advanced search

to think checkout operator should mind his own business and not comment on alcohol purchase!

(55 Posts)
indiechick Tue 09-Sep-08 17:34:43

Half bottles of wine are on sale, four for £5, half bottles are perfect for two of my chicken recipes so I thought I'd stock up. Till operator tells me it's wrong for me to be buying alcohol, it's not good for the baby (5 month old dd in trolley), for god's sake I'm not giving it to her, or even drinking it and breast-feeding, it's going in a chicken casserole, but honestly what business is it of his?!

KVC Tue 09-Sep-08 17:36:11

Message withdrawn

Chequers Tue 09-Sep-08 17:36:21

Wanker.

I got "I assume this is a present" when buying a bottle of champagne at 8 months pregnant.

gscrym Tue 09-Sep-08 17:36:24

Speak to store manager. It's none of the operators business what you're buying.

unfitmother Tue 09-Sep-08 17:37:27

Cheeky bastard - complain! shock

TheFallenMadonna Tue 09-Sep-08 17:38:29

But...

How refreshing that he assumed you were breastfeeding wink

MrsMattie Tue 09-Sep-08 17:38:39

Dickhead. I got a dirty look for ordering a bloody latte when I was 5 months pregnant. I was one step away from telling the waiter to shove it up his arse.

wahwah Tue 09-Sep-08 17:38:43

yes, complain.

babyignoramus Tue 09-Sep-08 17:53:32

Next time tell him it's ok, you're only giving her the one bottle as she has to share with her brother and sisters. Nosey bastard.

Twims Tue 09-Sep-08 17:54:48

Would def speak to the manager about retraining and telling checkout people it's none of their bloody bussines grin

littlelapin Tue 09-Sep-08 17:55:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Helga80 Tue 09-Sep-08 17:55:45

Wankerish comment to make but I wouldn't complain, I'd actually be pleasantly surprised that he assumed you were breast-feeding.

wuzzlefraggle Tue 09-Sep-08 17:57:10

oh my god - cheeky turd!!

knockedgymnast Tue 09-Sep-08 17:57:51

Rise above it!! It wastes too much energy and you know you've done nothing wrong

expatinscotland Tue 09-Sep-08 17:58:16

complain.

i'm hugely pregnant and have been buying booze left and right. brandy to put in my Xmas cakes and make orange liqueur as gifts, wine for my parents' visit in November, two bottles of whisky for FIL's Xmas and my mother's visit, sherry and creme liqueur for Xmas, wine as a thank you to the neighbours, etc.

the very thought of drinking it makes me sick because i have outrageous acid reflux.

kitbit Tue 09-Sep-08 17:58:33

I was followed around M&S when 6 mths pg by an anxious elderly lady who eventually couldn't contain herself and grabbed the mayonnaise from my trolley telling me I would harm my baby if I ate it. I had to literally prise her fingers off it while explaining it was for dh's sandwiches and I had no intention of eating it with her shouting protestations all the while hmm .

She could at least have asked before assuming I was going to eat a whole jar to myself.

Chequers Tue 09-Sep-08 18:01:00

Expat you're buying stuff for xmas already? shock

expatinscotland Tue 09-Sep-08 18:03:52

I'm nearly finished shopping and the cakes are baked, Chequers .

Am due our third on 28 October and live in the sticks, so I'm getting it all organised before having a newborn to get feeding established with.

Sobernow Tue 09-Sep-08 18:04:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MummyDoIt Tue 09-Sep-08 18:05:09

They really should mind their own business. I had one a while ago who made several remarks about what a sweet tooth I had and how much I must like my puddings as I had a trolley full of creamy, high-calorie desserts. They were for DH who was losing weight by the day because of his cancer and who could only eat soft foods. I really wish I'd told the man where to go but I just couldn't face any hassle.

StealthPolarBear Tue 09-Sep-08 18:05:34

shock
I wish you'd said "but it helps her sleep" the nosey &^%££"
(but you'd probably have got home to find some official looking people on your doorstep!)

BigGitDad Tue 09-Sep-08 18:07:36

It's not just men littlelapin, at my local co op last week the woman behnd the checkout commented on everything I had bought, 'like that, don't like that, like that, not that and so on' Cheeky mare.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 09-Sep-08 18:08:40

LOL at BGD.

I wonder if she realised she was talking out loud.

'Cos you'd do that wouldn't you. To pass the time.

DumbledoresGirl Tue 09-Sep-08 18:10:18

Oh yes BGD, I know someone like that. You don't shop in Sainsburys in Bristol do you? There is one particular woman who always comments on the contents of my trolley (not necessarily nasty things, but I simply do not want to discuss what I have bought with a stranger). I avoid her till now.

TinkerBellesMum Tue 09-Sep-08 18:21:11

I can just see the colour drain from TBD's face if someone said that to me, he knows I would have let rip! I'd speak to the manager if it was me (after letting rip lol) because that's not on and not how you would expect them to speak to customers.

kitbit, what a stupid woman! I bet she had mayo in her day and it wouldn't have been inoculated and pasteurised like we buy off the shelf today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now