Talk

Advanced search

10 yr old girl pillion passenger on a motorbike. >:-/

(12 Posts)
Califrau Mon 08-Sep-08 21:45:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

smartiejake Mon 08-Sep-08 21:52:09

Seems to be allowed. You think 10 is young.

One of the boys I worked with last year was regularly picked up from school by his dad, no leathers and a helmet and he was 7!

I agree it's absolutely ludicrous.

NoBiggy Mon 08-Sep-08 21:55:20

As long as they're tall enough to have both feet on the foot pegs, and they have a helmet, they're legal.

Not sensible, of course.

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 08-Sep-08 21:59:26

I used to ride on the back of my dad's motorbike when I was probably 9 or 10 - no crash helmet either...

DSD used to ride on the back of DH's motorbike when she was that age. He used to take her to and from school on it. She wouldn't go on it now, wouldn't be seen dead with helmet hair.

SmugColditz Mon 08-Sep-08 22:17:47

It's legal here. I used to be collected on a motorbike - sometimes I was wearing a SKIRT.

I look back and shudder, but GOD I thought I was cool. It was cool.

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 08-Sep-08 22:33:31

I loved it - dad collected me from swimming club and in the winter my hair was stiff with frost

silenceischocolate Mon 08-Sep-08 22:38:26

It is madness! - It freaks me out seeing adults not wearing gloves/bare ankles etc on a bike, let alone on a 10yr old - I came off a motorbike (not even very fast) wearing a leather jacket and was reasonably protected and I have to live with the damage that caused.

Also know people who have lost fingers by falling off not wearing gloves.

Is the father having some sort of crisis - a Harley - oh dear me! lol.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 08-Sep-08 22:39:40

I know the accident statistics for motorbikes are horrific, but I suppose it depends where they are riding and how fast. If its a suburban pootle then would it necessarily be more dangerous than a bicycle or come to that, walking?

GrimmaTheNome Mon 08-Sep-08 22:41:01

PS - we'd never let our DD do this, DH won't even contemplate any of us cycling on the road!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 09-Sep-08 17:15:07

On my DS2's first day at school, I took and collected him by motorcycle.

[bad mother emoticon]

It wasn't a regular thing - just the one day, and it was about a three-minute run. No harm was done. But then it wasn't a Harley. grin

We bought a trike for family use after that. You should have seen the reaction of the other kids at school the day I collected him on that! grin

worley Tue 09-Sep-08 17:22:23

when i was at primary (over 20+yrs ago)my friends mum couldnt get the car going so she got to the school on her old moped/chickenchaser. she tied my friend on to her using those bungey cords wrapped around their waists!! (they did live right out in the sticks, so hardly any other traffic), and when i was little it seemed ok, now i think OMG!!! i wouldnt dare do that with mine, why she didnt call a taxi i dont know! it gives me a laugh now though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now