Talk

Advanced search

To put DD to bed without any dinner...

(299 Posts)
PeppermintPatty Mon 08-Sep-08 19:07:53

...because she refused to eat what I've made made her.

She kept asking for a banana but I said no, she had to at least attempt to eat her soup.

She refused and had a massive tantrum angry She's only 14 months old, but very stubborn.

I'm certainly not going to make her something else, and I feel if I give in to her she'll be demanding a banana every meal time.

So I'm going to put her to bed without any dinner.

AIBU

littlelapin Mon 08-Sep-08 19:10:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DiscoDizzy Mon 08-Sep-08 19:10:59

Oh. I think at 14 months it may have been a little harsh. It wasn't as if she was asking for biscuits. Did you tell her she could have some banana after she'd had the soup?

elesbells Mon 08-Sep-08 19:11:03

Yabvvvu she's a baby fgs

Madlentileater Mon 08-Sep-08 19:11:08

won't she wake up hungry?

BroccoliSpears Mon 08-Sep-08 19:11:38

YABU. Let her have some banana.

KVC Mon 08-Sep-08 19:12:10

Message withdrawn

MegBusset Mon 08-Sep-08 19:12:15

I think YANBU, she's too little to understand 'Get what you're given or you go to bed with no dinner'.

No need to make it a battle, just offer the food and if she doesn't eat it, clear away with no fuss and offer the next course. If she eats a banana at every meal for a while, so what? They're very healthy!

MegBusset Mon 08-Sep-08 19:12:29

Oops I meant YABU

RedHead81 Mon 08-Sep-08 19:12:36

NOOO! You give her the banana now and she will do the same again next time she wants her own way. If she was hungry she would have eaten the dinner - one missed meal wont do her any harm - be strong!

bellavita Mon 08-Sep-08 19:12:45

14 months and no dinner?

I might do this for my nearly 9 year old if he has been really really naughty, but would have to think twice (and I would feel really guilty).

Give her the banana.

PeppermintPatty Mon 08-Sep-08 19:14:28

Well I could, but then she'll just demand a 'nana' every meal time.
I can't just let her eat bananas all day!

KVC Mon 08-Sep-08 19:14:54

Message withdrawn

NicMac Mon 08-Sep-08 19:15:47

at 14 months yes you are being VERY unreasonable

RedHead81 Mon 08-Sep-08 19:16:09

we've always got a rule in this house - if you don't attempt to eat a considerable amount of dinner, then there's no dessert. Banana or chocolate - they still need their veggies - yes banana is healthy but not at every meal - at 14mths my DS knew exactly what he wanted!

melpomene Mon 08-Sep-08 19:16:15

YABU. At 14 months she is too young to understand, and probably won't even remember the 'lesson' next time.

I think it's fine to offer a simple/boring but healthy alternative such as a banana or wholemeal bread and butter to a child who doesn't like a meal.

naturalblonde Mon 08-Sep-08 19:16:32

YABU. Give her the banana, I'd be thrilled if my dd demanded fruit instead of biscuits and ice pops.

silverfrog Mon 08-Sep-08 19:16:51

You might find that if you gave ehr the banana she would eat the soup afterwards (or at the same time - alternating mouthfuls).

dd2 is 19 months, and has been doing similar for a while.

however, she always finishes her main course eventually (and usually eats anyhtin gher sister has left as well!) so imo, it's not such a big deal what order she eats stuff in.

DiscoDizzy Mon 08-Sep-08 19:17:12

How do you know she'll demand a banana every meal time? She wasn't being unreasonable to want one. If she did want one every meal time then you'd be more justified not to give in but not atm.

RedHead81 Mon 08-Sep-08 19:17:26

ok so if the op gives in now at what age should it suddenly be NOT ok to give in and confuse the poor child???

Mercy Mon 08-Sep-08 19:17:40

Sorry, who's the one having a tantrum here?

KVC is right.

KVC Mon 08-Sep-08 19:17:59

Message withdrawn

MegBusset Mon 08-Sep-08 19:18:42

It makes me quite to think of food in terms of 'giving in'/'not giving in'. It is a meal not a power struggle. And she is barely more than a baby.

SnoopDog Mon 08-Sep-08 19:18:51

VU,

offer something else,

to make a child of 14 months go hungry is unreasonable

FeelingLucky Mon 08-Sep-08 19:19:48

I've put my LO to bed without any supper before, but that was because she didn't want any supper (generally when ill).
However, if she had asked for a banana, I would've definitely given her one.

I;m afraid YABU. Bananas are very healthy and she knows what she needs in terms of food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now