Talk

Advanced search

...to resist the pressure to cut my 2-year old boy's hair so he 'looks like a boy'

(125 Posts)
mummy5bellies Mon 08-Sep-08 14:08:26

William has beautiful flowing locks, and along with his tiny-featured face is often taken for a little girl. This doesn't bother me at all but friends, family and neighbours seem to have a problem. Whats all the about?

tamarto Mon 08-Sep-08 14:09:29

How old is he?

mummy5bellies Mon 08-Sep-08 14:10:05

two and a half

RubySlippers Mon 08-Sep-08 14:10:53

My DS has shoulder length blonde hair

he has never had it cut (and is 2.2)

leave it - nothing wrong with long hair on boys IMVHO

expatinscotland Mon 08-Sep-08 14:11:37

well, i buy into gender stereotypes .

both my little girls have long hair and DS will have his hair cut short because he's a wee boy.

personally, i find long hair on boys looks naff.

fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 14:11:56

does the hair bother him/get in his eyes? I know lots of mums who like their boys to have long hair and have to put up with the comments. As the mother of a girl who looks like a boy, I never mind if she gets mistaken, it doesn't really matter that much to me either. I think if he disliked the comments or was getting teased that would be a different matter.

OrmIrian Mon 08-Sep-08 14:12:57

Don't do it. I love longer hair on boys.

And 'to make him look like a boy' has to be the worst reason ever.

mummy5bellies Mon 08-Sep-08 14:13:18

Just how I feel - I've no intention of cutting it but find it quite amusing that people think i should

KVC Mon 08-Sep-08 14:13:39

Message withdrawn

tamarto Mon 08-Sep-08 14:14:50

It's up to you, i prefer my boys to look like boys though.

I always get the feeling that mums who have boys with long hair hanker after a girl. grin

nooname Mon 08-Sep-08 14:15:11

I get this as ds (2.3) has a major mop of flowing blond curls!

My view is that I'm not cutting his hair until he wants it cut himself, or until he gets upset by people thinking he's a girl. My mum always cut my hair short and people used to think I was a boy - when I was old enough to be aware of it it really upset me and I think my mum was wrong not to give me "girl's" hair.

OTOH, tbh the only people who tend to do this are older people who think boy = short hair, girl = long hair. Most younger people go on more cues than just hair and don't make the same mistake as it is more socially acceptable now for boys to have long/curly hair.

DanJARMouse Mon 08-Sep-08 14:15:49

Sorry, im with expat on this one.

(Even if at almost 3yo im waiting for DD2's hair to GROW!)

MrsMattie Mon 08-Sep-08 14:15:58

My son has always had lovely long ringlets. Most people comment on it in a positive way. Beats the scary crew cut look!

2beornot2be Mon 08-Sep-08 14:16:08

Its bad luck to cut there hair b4 they are 5 My nephew has long blonde hair he is 1 I think u should leave it until ur ready to get it cut

mummy5bellies Mon 08-Sep-08 14:17:06

He does look great, and to be honest, where we live is very chilled and most boys of all ages have longer hair. he can see fine, it doesn't irritate him and I'll cut it when he wants me to smile. Just wanted to reassure myself that i wasn't being unreasonable in my resistance.
My first day on this site - I'm a newbie - and its great x x

expatinscotland Mon 08-Sep-08 14:17:55

'Its bad luck to cut there hair b4 they are 5 '

That's got to be the most ridiculous thing I've heard.

DD1's hair grows like a weed and we've had to trim her fringe and ends (she's prone to split ends) since she was 2.

We trim DD2's fringe to keep it out of her eyes.

stillstanding Mon 08-Sep-08 14:18:24

My DS has rather long hair and is often mistaken for a girl ("such a pretty girl!). It really bugs DH but I am resisting the chop.

But I do think there comes a point. Is your DS's hair longish-short-hair or long-hair-that-can-go-into-a-ponytail? Not so wild about the later and would trim a bit then but what I do really detest is very short hair. All those little crewcuts look really nasty to me.

tamarto Mon 08-Sep-08 14:18:49

Why what will happen 2be?

mummy5bellies Mon 08-Sep-08 14:19:24

And I'm not hankering for a girl, BTW, I've got one!!

stillstanding Mon 08-Sep-08 14:20:14

Agree on scary crew cut look, Mrs Mattie. Truly hideous.

BitOfFun Mon 08-Sep-08 14:20:29

Up to you, obv, but I am with ex-pat myself. If you like lovely curly hair, have a girl or buy a suitable pooch! I think waiting for him to get teased is a bit hmm, nooname. And I used to have a mum who thought pageboy haircuts on girls were cool (it was the 70s...) - I am still traumatised now, and probably will be one of those irritating old ladies who insists on looking like Goldie Hawn long past it being age-apprpriate as a result, lol!

Conform, conform - he will thank you for it grin

bossykate Mon 08-Sep-08 14:20:50

as long as you don't get huffy with people if they mistake him for a girl!

OrmIrian Mon 08-Sep-08 14:21:04

Yes I have a girl as well as 2 boys. They all have 'girly' hair and boyish clothes. DS#1 won't have his hair cut and DD won't wear pink/frills/sparkly.

IndigoMoon Mon 08-Sep-08 14:21:47

we cut ds hair short and i did not like it, i am growing it longer now - much cuter!

mummy5bellies Mon 08-Sep-08 14:23:16

No, never get huffy when it happens grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now