Talk

Advanced search

in thinking about deciding to go about in a burkha? (veil)

(89 Posts)
stitch Sun 07-Sep-08 20:51:22

in the winter, i would be covered, so wouldnt get cold, no matter what.
in the summer, i would save a fortune on sun protection . facial cleansers, toners, exfoliators. need less moisturising cream as face woudlnt constantly be lambasted by the sun and wind. i would reduce my risk of skin cancer, and save the nhs a packet too. it would be good for the environment, as i would have to buy less heavily packaged skin creams etc...

DisasterArea Sun 07-Sep-08 20:54:30

and also never have to try to buy new clothes that fit. no more low waistbands and muffintops. no more trying to cover up fat arms. no having to cover up spots or wrinkles. no agonising over what to wear today.

all utterly shallow reasons for wearing such a garment but appealing none the less.

KerryMum Sun 07-Sep-08 20:55:46

is a burkha the one where you are completely covered, including your face?

I'd get claustrophobic.

stitch Sun 07-Sep-08 20:57:59

lol, disaster, i was planning on taking it off indoors. grin

yes kerry. maybe there would be a market for them with built in airconditioners? smile but actually, they are apparently very very cool if made in cotton. there are no clingy bits to get into your creases and make you sweat.
ooo, another good reason, i wouldnt have to bother about doing my hair for the school run. or ever, unless i was going to be indoors.

DisasterArea Sun 07-Sep-08 20:59:02

ooh d'yo think they keep out pollen? i'd be interested if they did.

BouncingTurtle Sun 07-Sep-08 21:00:12

Stitch - yes I heard they were nice and cool to wear.

sherby Sun 07-Sep-08 21:00:46

apparently they smell awful inside if you get the mesh covered face ones

and hard to breath

and you trip up a lot

stitch Sun 07-Sep-08 21:00:48

yes, thats another fabulous one.
they should do, as it would be the same sort of thing as wearing a face mask. the pollen would get filtered out by the material.
they are sounding more and more appealing every second.

stitch Sun 07-Sep-08 21:02:20

ach, maybe they just dont wash them enough sherby?
or do you think we could convince flame to find some sort of washable liner for the face covering part, that absorbs the moisture from our mouths, and prevents the pollen from getting in?

QuintessentialShadow Sun 07-Sep-08 21:02:37

(I think I can see what you are doing stitch grin )

And you can leave the house with dirty hair and nobody will ever know!

DisasterArea Sun 07-Sep-08 21:03:03

ican see me gliding mysteriously around. am wondering about work thoug. will google

BouncingTurtle Sun 07-Sep-08 21:04:32

And you wouldn't need to bother shaving your armpits and legs!
Surely you would have the length altered so you don't trip up?
Plus no more dithering over what to wear in the morning!

southeastastra Sun 07-Sep-08 21:04:48

old ladies will view you with worry!

sherby Sun 07-Sep-08 21:05:52

accessories in case you feel like glamming it up

solidgoldbrass Sun 07-Sep-08 21:06:33

Good for shoplifting in if you get one with slits in the sides, I suppose, but I wound't fancy it myself. Well not unless you could get them with really offensive slogans written all over them. And a drawing of a great big cock in the crotch area.

stitch Sun 07-Sep-08 21:08:07

grin
exactly, no m ore worry about washing and conditioning and drying and straighteing my hair.
no worry about changing out of my lovely jammies, though i would of course be wearing fabulous shoes grin
sea, i think old ladies worry about me as it is, i am the quintessential beauty/beast combo.
i think i would still remove underarm hair, as it gets horrible. and yucky, andhorrible.

stitch Sun 07-Sep-08 21:08:53

lol solid.
a different one for every occasion.

stitch Sun 07-Sep-08 21:09:53

but sherby, i would need a gold one to cover my entire face, otherwise canyouimagine the tan lines. wink

DisasterArea Sun 07-Sep-08 21:11:16

there are nurse versions but pooter won't let me copy image.
am liking the thought of slovenly, hairy, unwashed unerneath with fabulous shoes. grin with no makeup, unbrushed hair, pyjamas and no polle.
am off to order a few - in slimming black of course.

Twelvelegs Sun 07-Sep-08 21:11:57

And wherever you may venture you shall be judged and considered oppressed.

Twelvelegs Sun 07-Sep-08 21:13:35

I saw one lady fully covered except hands and they were covered with bling ( which I knew to be fake s I saw her purchase it!!)

DisasterArea Sun 07-Sep-08 21:16:11

i could get used to opression if i never had to hold my gut in ever again. [joke]

Earlybird Sun 07-Sep-08 21:16:33

Anyone remember the thread from a few weeks ago where the OP (seriously) posted about purchasing a swim costume called a burkini (sp?)? I'm not joking....

QuintessentialShadow Sun 07-Sep-08 21:21:18

You do know btw, that there are mumsnetters who actually do wear this daily?

QuintessentialShadow Sun 07-Sep-08 21:21:29

You do know btw, that there are mumsnetters who actually do wear this daily?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now