Talk

Advanced search

To expect a non - religious school NOT to practise worship?

(117 Posts)
bloomingfedup Sun 07-Sep-08 17:13:06

Please tell me if I am or not or just have my facts wrong. My DC is at a non- religious primary school, they learn about different religions - ok fine but they also practise pray to JC and God. My DC has been saying things like God is the saviour - don't get it. hmm

supercollider Sun 07-Sep-08 17:14:42

Oh I know, it's a right pain in the unusual isn't it. Unfortunately community schools are bound by law to have 'an act of worship' every day.

stitch Sun 07-Sep-08 17:16:20

an act of worship a week is the law in england and wales. has to be done.

wahwah Sun 07-Sep-08 17:16:41

You can always tell him the headteacher has an imaginary friend!

Bettyboobird Sun 07-Sep-08 17:17:32

Every school has to make religious education available to the children, and I believe they also have to have a communal assembly at least once a week (would need to check that one)

Are they being taught to pray to JC and worship God, or being taught that Christians do, and shown how they do it. Because they are two very different things...

SoupDragon Sun 07-Sep-08 17:18:06

What Stitch says. "Collective worship" is a requirement (our school got told off by OFSTED about not having it )

supercollider Sun 07-Sep-08 17:18:30

Oh is it only once a week stitch? DS1's school does it every bleeding day <takes up cudgels>

bloomingfedup Sun 07-Sep-08 17:19:33

From what I can gather they are actually partaking in religious activity - not just being taught about it. My DD like to tell me factualy about God and JC. smile

bloomingfedup Sun 07-Sep-08 17:19:34

From what I can gather they are actually partaking in religious activity - not just being taught about it. My DD like to tell me factualy about God and JC. smile

vjg13 Sun 07-Sep-08 17:19:54

All non religious schools default to watered down C of E especially for Christmas and Easter.

bloomingfedup Sun 07-Sep-08 17:21:23

"Collective worship" is a requirement (our school got told off by OFSTED about not having it )"

To who?

supercollider Sun 07-Sep-08 17:21:49

DS1 is definitely being taught about angels and heaven and stuff. He was very confused when I told him that his dad and I think it's not true. I don't want to encourage him to doubt his teacher, but in this instance it seemed unavoidable.

Majeika Sun 07-Sep-08 17:22:53

you can ask for him to be excluded.

My ds is.

they do birthday assembly, singing assembly, superstar assembly.

DS does superstar assembly.

They will not teach the god stuff as facts but will pray together.

ds does not.

stitch Sun 07-Sep-08 17:23:08

i think it is only once a week legal requirement, but dont quote me on the frequency. i do know that ofsted often criticises schools for not doing it often enough. not sure how often is enough to make them happy though

bloomingfedup Sun 07-Sep-08 17:23:32

Wahwah - I told DD that that 'Jesus is the saviour'etc is what some people believe but not all, she has responded by telling me but MrsX(teacher) says they are.hmm

Blandmum Sun 07-Sep-08 17:23:37

You can ask to have him withdrawn, but all schools in the UK will have an act of collective worship.

RockinSockBunnies Sun 07-Sep-08 17:28:27

Acutally, it's possible for a school to officially opt-out of the collective worship requirement (unless they're Church schools of course). My DD's school in London has such a mix of different religions amongst its pupils, it would be somewhat daft for them to hold religious assemblies etc. The parents had a letter home about it recently, stating this policy. The children are still taught about various different religions in class but don't partake in worshiping!

SoupDragon Sun 07-Sep-08 17:29:35

What do you mean "To who"??

bloomingfedup Sun 07-Sep-08 17:31:27

Soupdragon,

Sorry, I meant who do they worship, is it a christian god, a hindu deity - who?

mrz Sun 07-Sep-08 17:33:04

a daily act of collective worship is statutory and it is supposed to be mainly Christian

wahwah Sun 07-Sep-08 17:33:39

Yes, Bloomingfedup, that is something that worries me too-who do they trust to tell them the truth (and not THE TRUTH)?

My friend is atheist and decided not to say anything to her children about religion, thinking they should make up their own minds. Her oldest reported that they had been praying to 'the baby cheeses' at school and he didn't believe in them, anyway. Seems your dd paid attention!

supercollider Sun 07-Sep-08 17:34:17

LOL at 'baby cheeses'

SoupDragon Sun 07-Sep-08 17:35:05

Feck knows. Jamie Oliver and his Healthy Meals I think.

bloomingfedup Sun 07-Sep-08 17:35:44

LOL, baby cheeses.grin

northernrefugee39 Sun 07-Sep-08 17:55:40

The primary school ours went to was a small community school- run by a kabal of born again christians.
Our daughter was *made to write "Dear Mum and Dad, Happy easter JESUS IS ALIVE" shock

Another teacher told the kids that all Muslims were stupid because they didn't believe in the same God as us.
Small northern village.
Horrendous.

The born again head then had an affair with another teacher, left her husband, who intermittently turned up in tears at events.
Rambling, sorry.
Don't know how pleased God was about it tho'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now